3rd day post FISTULOTOMY........

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: 3rd day post FISTULOTOMY........

Postby Lauren12 » 15 Nov 2012, 15:16

The only thing I'd mention about using glycerin suppositories is that when I used one before my bottom had fully recovered from the LIS operation, it caused irritation and a feeling of discomfort in the back passage for 48 hours. Whatever the irritant is in the suppository that gets the muscles contracting to expel a stool, had the effect of also irritating my anus. However once I'd recovered, I was able use them with no additional pain or irritation whatsoever - just as I could before the fissure developed. I'm just fine with them now.
I wouldn't know what to suggest to get the second bowel movement of the day to come out more easily, as I generally have only one. Perhaps it doesn't have the bulk to descend easily? I also have a large spoonful of a good quality olive oil at night. I spoon it over my vegetables.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 06 Dec 2012, 14:15

Hey ETO, hows things? :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby richibeno » 06 Dec 2012, 14:32

Hey sue and ego
Hope you guys are doing great
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Ever the Optimist » 20 Dec 2012, 03:31

6 MONTHS POST FISTULA OP
Hi all, Hope everyone here is doing well in their recoveries! x
Just a further update as I officially had my "final" (fingers-crossed EUA) yesterday afternoon......
Well, I was a bit nervous because I just wanted the thumbs up that everything was OK and I am nearly healed and whilst coming out from the GA, I got that THUMBS UP!!! yay!
Fistula has totally cleared up. Gone!
Chronic fissure (not 100% healed) but almost there!
2 internal piles (Grade 1) which are treatable........
The minor discomfort I've been experiencing appears to be due to the piles and healing of the fissure still, but it's been less frequent and totally bearable compared to this time last year, when the fissure first kicked off........
Hang in there all of you - this stuff does heal!!!
Week by week, things have got better and it's all about patience, time, positive thinking and being kind to your bum, through sensible eating, fluid intake and no straining ever!
I realised a lot of important stuff yesterday, which I also want to share as I think it's so important to recognise even the most obvious and smallest things and put them into practice...........This may also be incredibly obvious to some but sometimes you just overlook things........
As important as your diet, is the exercise factor...This stuff all started with me when my lifestyle changed from being pretty active to a lot more sedentary. I realise now that to keep your stools in check and BM's regular, you have got to get off your bum and MOVE! I'm not lazy but have a desk job and have to drive a lot more where before I walked everywhere. This has undoubtedly played a major role in the development of piles (which was an issue I rarely had to worry about) Piles hate exercise!!!!
Recognise your body and tune in to it. I was so adamant about having BM's at certain times of the day and panicking that I was constipated when I didn't go, but it's OK! Go when you need to, don't ever force a BM even when you think you are supposed to be having one. It's probably just not ready to come out yet!
Don't use your shower head directly on the area whilst cleaning up(something, I've now realised was a mistake) It can aggravate piles again by increasing the stress on the area. I've been showering the worst of the debris off gently and then finally gently dabbing with baby wipes recently. I always felt the need to get everything meticulously clean and whilst this is important, just be gentle and don't over do it!
OVER WIPING & OVER CLEANING can be as bad as straining and I never looked at it that way before.....
Reduce daily stress levels to the most minimal you can, even if it takes relaxation techniques and a lot of positive self chat. Stress has an immense effect on your ability to pass a stool calmly and it only impacts on your digestive system more, making the whole process more difficult....
It's still a learning curve but with a more sensible and wiser outlook/ approach on it all, 2013 will be my year to get this sorted and my bottom back on track once and for all!!!!
Thanks everyone for all your support and for keeping me going on my darkest days. This site really is a life saver and bless the person who set this whole thing up and the administrators. What a fantastic source of help!.........
I'm still going to be logging on and off but I finally feel that I will be less dependant and ready to move on with my life more now, which can only be a good thing.
Everyone, have a truly lovely Christmas, may your New Year be a great one and just have that faith that you can heal. Your body is amazing, don't abuse it....This all happens for a reason, pain and suffering and all, and a wake-up call to take stock of your life. Learn from it, try not to make it a big deal and just do what you need to do to fix it.
This is a temporary medical issue for most people as life is temporary for all of us, so just get on and live it!!!
Love and healing to all of you here
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Ever the Optimist » 10 Mar 2013, 15:42

9 MONTHS ON................
Since the last Christmas posting, absolutely nothing more to report on the fistula!.....
It's been, it's healed, it's gone! Image
So to anyone reading with a newly-diagnosed fistula, scared, nervous and anxious - Don't be please... It's not nice going through that process of dealing with the physical symptoms, the worries of surgery, the after effects, the thoughts of "When will I heal?" .....
It happens and you will get there!
There's no evidence I ever had one now and it's a blurring memory....
I think this now closes my post but always open to personal messages. Take care all Image
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby richibeno » 10 Mar 2013, 21:01

Hey eto
Hope this is a rap' is all the aches and tenderness gone or all most gone
Thanks for all your help and support eto
richibeno
VIP

Postby venki » 15 Mar 2013, 11:56

Hi All., it might sound stupid but I have been experiencing symptoms of a fistula, I can feel a large lump on the left side butt close to my anus and when I pressed it I could feel some leaking thru my anus and when I wiped it with a tissue it looks like blood and puss. Everytime I apply pressure to that area of the lump I feel odd and immediately there's leakage thru the anus. I'm a little terrified, I had been to the CRS and have something scheduled next Thursday to have an EUA and possible fissurectomy and fistulotomy. He did explain about LIS and Fissurectomy but not much about fistulotomy. Does it involve cutting the outside of the anus (on the butt ?) to drain the absecee ? Can someone help me understand the fistulotomy procedure ?
venki
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby richibeno » 15 Mar 2013, 12:10

Hi
It sounds like an abscess which Inc connecting to the anus could have come from an infection or blocked glan
The surgeon will open up the abscess and drain it and clean out all the bad stuff
He may then cut away the roof of the tunnel which connects the abscess to the anus the tunnel is called a fistula it is left open to heal from the bottom up '
Have a look out the fistula sticky
Or look up eto or search for fistula
Have you been in any bad pain feeling I'll because of it
Keep your diet soft
Drink loads of water
Here's to great healing
Health and happiness
richibeno
VIP

Postby Ever the Optimist » 22 Mar 2013, 17:52

Hi Rich,
I can honestly say that all pain/ aches and tenderness from the fistula site is gone completely! I know it's healed...
I think I'm nearly there with the fissure too - a very ocassional twinge but nothing there too.....
The discomfort I now get on & off is from my bloody internal piles!! Talk about a bottom - Fissure/ Abscess/ Fistula and topped off with two piles that won't budge (although they have good and bad days!!) If I could get rid of them, I think my bum would be 99% back to normal!!!
Venki - please read my post. It's pretty detailed and spans over a year now!
Like Rich, it sounds like an abscess to me too, that they will need to drain. The location you describe sounds similar to mine (apart from mine was on the right but it was inside the bottom cheeks and about half cm from the lower part of the anal opening)
An EUA is the best way to determine exactly what's going on and the best course of action, and if action is needed, they will get you to sign a consent form to allow them to treat it accordingly. If it's simple, they will follow the procedure Rich describes and the one I had. It is nothing to fear and will help remove the fistula and all the horrible pus and bleeding issues. It's an extremely successful and effective surgical procedure.
At the moment it sounds like they're not too sure what's going on which is why you need the EUA. I'm not sure why a fissure is suspected (unless you started with one and it formed an abscess...?) Fissures are so much more painful and take much longer to heal if chronic. If your symptoms relate directly to the "lump" and there's no knife-like sharp pain during & after BM's, it defo sounds more like an abscess to me than a fissure. I consider myself really lucky that my fissure is healing naturally and doesn't bother me anymore!
You can feel generally unwell, fatigued and just not right with a fistula. You have this constant pus cycle going on and it can make you feel rough. If anything worsens in the meantime, make sure you see a GP to ensure you don't have an infection developing. They are likely to prescribe you antibiotics. I had several courses whilst the fistula continued to pus......
Good luck with it all and whatever the outcome, it will be generally fixable! You will endure a few uncomfortable weeks and just be patient in your recovery but you will get there!! All the best to you......
Ever the Optimist

Postby richibeno » 22 Mar 2013, 18:01

Hey eto
Great to here that
I'm doing OK still get a little ache but hope its getting better 'im still keeping it soft still taking one sachet of movicol and I still use a shower head after a bm '
How about you are you still using stool soft er and showering ,I'm just after 3 months now
Here's to great healing
Health an happiness
richibeno
VIP