3rd day post FISTULOTOMY........

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: 3rd day post FISTULOTOMY........

Postby Ever the Optimist » 22 Mar 2013, 18:19

Hey Rich,
It's so slow isn't it! I just look at my progress on a monthly basis these days!!
Yep, I still take my night time dose of Lactulose, but I don't think I actually need it anymore. I think it's more an emotional prop still....but it's safe to use on a regular basis, so why stop whilst I'm still dealing with it all?
I will always continue to shower after a BM! It's my regular clean up now. I don't even use paper anymore. It just gets everything so much cleaner and I feel reassured there's no lurking debris to create any further issues!...
Just keep everything nice and clean and dry and I try to rarely apply any form of cream etc...(only if the piles are getting on my nerves!!)
You sound great at 3 months. Hopefully, I'll stay on this site long enough to hear about your full recovery!!!
All the best..
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby richibeno » 23 Mar 2013, 05:30

Hey eto
One question if I may
Bm size mine are still skinny may be 3/4 inch round (sorry) could this be to te moivicol may be I should cut back on te movicol and try adding some fibre and bulk it up slowly
Thx
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Ever the Optimist » 23 Mar 2013, 16:22

Hi Rich,
Not sure either but basically what goes in has a big impact on what comes out, so it could be you might need to increase your fibre?? What kinds of stuff do you include in your diet?? I doubt the movicol is causing too much of an issue as it's mission is purely to soften. Again how much are you taking? I really think this might depend on various things - what you eat/ the quantity of food you eat etc....I think the main thing at the moment in recovery is the fact that it all needs to come out supersoft but formed (not runny) and doesn't put any additional pressure on the area, so if it's not causing you issues I wouldn't worry too much right now. As I've got better, my food intake has definately increased but I still ensure I eat all the right stuff too, including my daily fibre intake. My stools are always well formed/ soft and not overly large but substantial in size.
I did notice previously that my stool size/shape adjusted accordingly to the amount and what I was eating whilst trying to get my "perfect" BM's!
Also, after surgery, and when the area was particularly inflamed/ tighter and the old piles were playing up more, my stools were also thinner and almost " moulded" the shape of the anus at the time when they came out, if that makes sense?
The main thing is as long as they are soft and bind well and not too hard or too runny, then you're doing OK Image
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 12 Apr 2013, 07:35

In Summary! for all those who need a quick answer!!!!
My little old fistula took 8 weeks to heal superficially (no sign of anything there visibly) and 6 months to completely feel back to normal with no signs of ever having suffered from one! There's been absolutely no signs of a reoccurrence. The fistula was a small and simple one with no interference of the internal sphincter and the surgery was a simple "deroofing" of the tract to let it heal from the inside out naturally, so chances are if this is what you are diagnosed, your recovery will be completely successful and around 6 months full healing time. Any fistulae that are more complex will take longer but yes, you can get rid of them, you must have surgery and yes, you do fully recover and "go back to normal"!!............ Image
Ever the Optimist

Postby richibeno » 12 Apr 2013, 08:17

Hey eto thanks for this ,I'm 4 months post op little more complex than yours still Bit little to heal inside
Have pm ed you
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Savaici » 12 Apr 2013, 11:47

Great to hear that you are healing, richibeno! Image
And you back to normal, ETO!! So happy for you. What hard roads we travel with our bums Image Who would have ever thought!!!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Ever the Optimist » 12 Apr 2013, 15:43

Thanks so much Sav, x
Just the chronic fissure to nuture now in the hope that it will completely heal one day!........
Rich - I'll get back to you soon :)
Ever the Optimist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 12 Apr 2013, 18:38

Hi ETO:
I'm sooooooooooooooo glad to hear your fistula is gone for good. But you're still dealing with a fissure? Are you considering LIS since it is chronic?
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Ever the Optimist » 13 Apr 2013, 02:44

Hi TFCKMB,
How are you these days??
Thankyou! One less issue to worry about! :D
I have LIS at the back of my mind but at the moment, I'm not sure what to do as I have had two internal piles also diagnosed, which are just not budging despite doing everything I need to do to shift them! I still have twinges in the area and I really don't know if it's the internal pile near the fissure site causing the problem or the fissure itself. On saying that, it's nothing major, just a twinge now and again and a feeling that it is simply there! so I can live with it but it would be nice to completely eliminate all the anxieties still about it. The fissure is chronic, but totally manageable right now and most of the time other than before a BM, it gives me no real problems. I forget it's even there most of the time....I need to speak to my CRS (but keep putting it off) because if the source of the problem is the hem then I know they will band it but I don't want to risk further aggravation to the fissure itself especially if it is healing. I won't consider LIS unless it comes back with a major vengeance and all that pain with it...It's a tricky one but I know I should really just ask the questions. Although I'm 40, we still really want to try for another baby too, so LIS might not be option right now too. I don't know - I really do need to discuss this further me thinks!! Image
Ever the Optimist

Postby praty » 18 Jun 2016, 08:13

Hi All,

I'm facing similar situation. I've had a perianal abscess which was very painful. I was hardly able to walk/sit properly, i.e. reduced to no movement. On the day of the surgery. it burst out on its own but then also I went for the surgery which was alright and the whole area was drained and cleaned. The surgery was done on 18th February, 2016 and the wound almost healed in 8-9 weeks but then I started experiencing pain in the same region after almost 10 weeks of the surgery. There was also a bit of pain and discharge coming through. I went to my CRS again, and after undergoing MRI scan, I was told that it was a low fistula. He further explained that 50% of abscess turn into fistula so that's pretty normal. I just wanted to get rid of all this pain and so I decided to undergo another surgery (called fistulectomy) on 17th May which was less painful than the previous one. The wound has healed properly in about a month and only a small bit is left now. I'm taking sitz baths twice every day and still taking laxative to avoid constipation. I'm also having daily dressings. The healing has been fine until last week and now, I'm experiencing discharge and similar pain (inflammation and needle like pain like before being diagnosed with abscess) after every bowel movement. There isn't any blood in the discharge but there are some stool particles. There are also some brown/yellow coloured stuffs which looks like puss with foul smell. Is that normal or is there any chance that I might have another fistula/abscess? I'm a bit worried as I don't want to go through all of that again. Last 6-7 months have been really painful.

Any help/suggestions/tips is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
praty
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1