Simple Fistula Surgery 2014, Now Fissures :-(

My journey -

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: Simple A-Fistula, Fistulotomy - My Journey

Postby Manitourose » 23 Jun 2014, 20:33

The dampened Johnson and Johnson sterile gauze is a fantastic suggestion. I never quite thought about the wipes having anything in them. I'm diligent about reading labels, but I figure if my CRS is uncomfortable with them overall then I will look for alternatives. Even perhaps after I'm healed up.
Are you hoping to have surgery?
Also, I think a sitz bath would be nice. There are days I have cried before and after surgery as having to do it so often is sometimes just overwhelming which is why I recommend anyone find their own routine so it can be done as comfortably and not cry out of boredom.
I love how many people from around the world on on here! Very neat and really provides more info than just what one of us gets in one country.
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Postby Manitourose » 24 Jun 2014, 09:03

Post-op Day 5 - Tuesday (Begin the "moving" process -- but I just want to rest)

The pain of healing has begun. I believe the wound is healing. Naturally at the same time my digestive system is back on track a bit, so more normal BMs. That means = the feeling of pain/uncomfortableness/soreness with and after BMs.

I'm still in full awe of how we can heal while still having BMs. I do my best to stay clean while being gentle but the whole idea just goes against all we imagine about clean wound healing!

Beginning the process of our move today and of course today I am simply exhausted after everything and could finally rest. Unfortunately not. We are breaking the trip up though so I do not have to sit for 10 hrs straight in the car. I'll be a happy (sore) camper by Friday when we reach the destination.
Manitourose

Postby Manitourose » 25 Jun 2014, 23:47

Post-op Day 6 - Wednesday (Check up day and still moving)

Since I couldn't make it back to the city I had surgery in 3 hrs away to my CRS, he was OK with me being seen at my local health center by a doctor. My regular doctor is on vacation, he recommended someone after discussing it with them. Someday I will post the humorous story of the visit/incision check. But I can say the doctor was more nervous than me! I take that in some way as a sign I've braved the storms and getting used to all of this. The sad part is that a physician would be so "embarrassed" (his words) to do an incision check on a rectal surgery. He and his patients should feel comfortable voicing their rectal concerns, its so important!

From the experience today I gained insight into just how brave everyone on this board is for sharing their thoughts, questions and going through visits to doctors/surgeries and more. Kudos!''

As for the incision, its still there. Though he said he was trying to be gentle he wasn't entirely. No bleeding really today and I can sense I am healing. Spent most of the day packing boxes and to me that is a good sign! I am exhausted and was sore after the exam (sorry my rear was not thrilled to be pulled open again for any reason). However, I believe I'm mending...thats all that matters.

Questions for anyone that reads this though as the primary care doctor inserting his own "fistula" two cents because he did a proctology rotation and his wife had surgery during that time in the 1980's for a fistula.

1) He asked if I as taking fiber. I told him my doctor said to keep on with my normal diet for now, no supplements. He then proceeded to tell me I should be taking Metamucil for life.......
To begin with we all react differently and my BM are fine. But what are your thoughts and have others experienced with their doctors or CRS recommendations?

2) Oh that talk.... the above referenced "embarrassed" primary care doctor came back in after our visit and quie (nervously) begins to tell me I can't have sex for.... life... I am near laughter, but calm, he notices what he had said and then says "you know anal sex... never, not in your life". Oh the poor older gentleman doctor. He was so shy!
My CRS was fantastic and if he had concerns would have had no issue mentioning this. I'm not worried about such relations with my partner, but again, a question commonly asked here and on other boards. What have you been told?

Changes:
Didn't get as much water or fiber today because of the moving, made sure to take the Colace to the max... So we shall see what tomorrow brings. This is a step towards... there will be days where I can't do it all right!
Manitourose

Postby Manitourose » 30 Jun 2014, 20:52

Post Op Days 7-10 (WOAH!!!!)

Woah not in a good way. Well nothing horrible happened, expect having to move. I did great on the road as far as eating well and getting enough water. Sitting for 3 hrs one day and 9 hours the next in a Uhaul was rough. Being in a hotel is not much fun for baths. I did pack my own towels so that brought a sense of comfort.

Friday we got to our new place. The tow hitch jack knifed on the Uhaul after the car being towed was taken off. So the tow hitch had to be taken off and put back on. Well there was just my fiancé and myself to do it. I survived, he took on as much of the load as possible. Then we spent the next 5 hrs moving boxes. I felt quite good, in the sense, I was happy to be able to do it but extremely tired. My digestion was all off by that night, I felt nauseated and had a bowel movement that hurt. There is truth to moving around and getting the digestive system working... sitting for hours is no good.

Saturday, I was miserable. Very uncomfortable. After I was able to have my pain meds transferred to the new place I was able to recover a bit slightly.
Sunday, I felt better but still sore. Finally in our new place and able to keep up with 3 baths or more. I go from feeling like I'm healing to misery at times.

Changes:
Not enough fiber and water. Its so hard to keep up EVERYTHING when trying to live.
Surprised by the discomfort.

Good things:
While lifting boxes or sitting for 10 hrs isn't something I recommend, I did it. I survived!
Manitourose

Postby Manitourose » 30 Jun 2014, 21:01

Post Op Day 11 - Monday ( 1st day of clinical rotations)

Well today was simply rough. I am emotionally drained! I couldn't take any of the prescribed medication due to my job and not knowing if it would affect me. My patients' safety comes 1st. Didn't get any Tylenol until after work.. Finally though I'll have some to take the rest of the week while working so I hope it helps.

I stood most of the day and was very involved in lifting patients here and there. It was my first day so I was nervous. I think I stayed tight muscle wise which didn't help that area down there. To be fair by noon I was feeling pretty rough. I quietly sucked it up. I'm simply so beat up after the past couple days.

I began Googling how long this takes to heal.. I'm clearly anxious, but HAVE TO REMEMBER I'm not even 2 weeks out of surgery. Honestly, the concept of moving and starting my clinicals 10 days after surgery didn't even occur to me when I decided to have surgery. I knew it was tight timing but I didn't really think about the exact days. Now I know... wow, crazy, overwhelmed.

Trying to fit in a bath, healthy breakfast, BM, another bath and so on....all before 7:30am was not fun!

Changes:
Still not a settled digestive system. Bloated and rumbling.
Looked at my incision for the first time. Everything looks so strange. I also had an anal tag excision. I honestly can't tell what is what. Probably a bad time to be looking as emotionally drained as I am.

Good things:
No infections, no major bleeding. I'm having BMs and no intense pain. No incontinence.. So there is that!

Bad things:
Over analyzing every feeling/sensation I have... bad idea.
Manitourose

Postby Manitourose » 11 Jul 2014, 21:56

Post op day 21- Time has flown!

I began clinical rotations last week and just finished week 2. First few days were rough during work, then the rest of the week I managed during the day but was in a lot of pain at night. This week I have felt 90-95% like myself again. Such a relief!

I can't believe time has gone by so quickly. Still trying to get in 2-3 baths a day, rarely 1 if I am just too wiped out such as today. No pain with BM or bleeding, no discharge unless I really have overdone it and then its super mild just from the wound still closing.

So there you have it. Things are progressing. I'm almost glad (now only) that this happened because patients I am working with are in subacute care and so many of them can't use the bathroom independently. They feel so vulnerable and embarrassed to have someone in the room during activities that are so private. I am able to have a gentle approach to them knowing how they feel. I also feel like overall it has made me feel stronger as a person. I honestly didn't think I could pull off surgery, move across the country a week later and begin working full weeks in clinical rotations only 9 days after surgery. It SUCKED, and but I am amazed I survived.

Changes:
Feeling ready to try some exercise... Maybe yoga. Walking in the heat still makes me uncomfortable but will give it another go this weekend.

Bad:
Still need more water.
Still occasional pain and not much left of the painkillers. I had to use them more than I would have wanted due to not having much time to recover and being on my feet so much.

Thats about it. Will update as I continue. But I may see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Manitourose

Postby 5urac3 » 16 Mar 2015, 11:28

Hi Manitourose, I had my fistula laid open 1 week ago today. Was just wondering what your total heal time was? My CRS said I'd be able to go to work after 1 week but no chance. Did you have a lot of drainage?
5urac3

Postby Manitourose » 16 Mar 2015, 16:07

I didn't have much drainage that I recall. I would say my full heal time was 2 months, but by 2-3 weeks the wound rapidly began healing. My CRS didn't even think I would want to take pain pills but prescribed them anyways. I did take them because there was just too much going on.I did start working at day 9 or 11, but it was not fun. I moved states about 1 week after and did a lot of cleaning and moving. Not easy to say the least. It does get better though, I promise.

How often are you able to do the baths? They really help with the healing process, the pain and keeps the area clean. Have you talked to your doctor about the drainage? I can't recall whether its common or less common. Definitely ask the question as well on the fistula thread. I know many people have different experiences. Hang in there, we're all here for you! :)
Manitourose

Postby 5urac3 » 20 Mar 2015, 06:00

Sorry for slow reply. Thanks for your advice! I went to see my doctor yesterday and he said the discharge is all part of the wound cleaning itself. I just want it to heal so I can get on with my life. It hasn't even been 2 weeks post op yet and I feel like Iv been locked at home for months. My pain is up and down. Some days I'm fine and some days I get like a twitching sharp pains that just come and go! I don't bother with pain killers tho! So are you fully recovered now?
5urac3

Postby Manitourose » 13 Jul 2015, 10:23

Hi 5urac3,

Just checking in. I hope your healing is still going well?
Manitourose