Potential/Likely Success Story

Fistula Success

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Potential/Likely Success Story

Postby Cporosus1 » 07 May 2015, 18:11

On October 31st, 2014 I had an operation for a perianal abscess; the cause was, as always, not 100% certain...but I assume a lack of good hygiene combined with shaving the region was the cause (DO NOT shave the perineum even if your girlfriend wants you to!) I assume that all the razor burn/razor cuts were contaminated by fecal matter from not showering after workouts and intense field work. Of course, I have also had hemorrhoids throughout my life so there could have been another cause. Around the same time the abscess formed I also had massive itching all around by groin and anal area, like no itching I had ever had before, and I also had an external hemorrhoid (I only had internal hemorrhoids up to that point) no doubt caused by the abscess forming and putting pressure on the area. I'm also a competitive weight lifter, I'm hoping that had no part in this forming (my surgeon doesn't think it does).

Anyway, the surgery was a success and my surgeon said it was a particularly "nasty" abscess and that I must have had a high pain tolerance. I had the wound packed with gauze and changed daily for two weeks. After the two week mark my surgeon said to no longer pack and that it would heal in from the inside and that I could get back to weight lifting immediately so long as I showered a lot.

Fast-forward to New Years Eve; I noticed the wound just is refusing to fully heal and I am starting to get some mild aching and a light fever. Plus there is a small amount of red blood and a small amount of yellow liquid (not thick, but watery) around the wound and some minor drainage. I go to my GP because I am nervous about going to the CRS. The GP says it is infected and likely a fistula but he puts me on Augmentum (a BIG mistake, made me feel like death) and schedules an appointment with my CRS for the following Monday.

The CRS confirmed it as a fistula and we scheduled the surgery for two days later (I don't like to wait). He said he wouldn't know the extent or severity until I was put under. I awoke an hour later and they stated that it was a low fistula and had performed a fistulotomy. They did not do an MRI or anything else as I show no symptoms of Crohns other than the abscess/fistula (which was likely not caused by Crohn's).

The operation was on January 7th, 2015 and full outer-healing occurred somewhere between April 8th and April 11th, 2015. As of now (May 7th) the area LOOKS fantastic, there is almost no redness at all where the wound was and there is only a small groove or "key hole" near the rectum. In the past week I have noticed some soreness in the scar and some sharp pains during bowel movements, but there is no discharge, no fever, etc. so I assume this is either scar tissue pain or a hemorrhoid. I am seeing my CRS on Monday, May 11th to make certain it is nothing to worry about and to get the "okay" to go into the spa again!

Interesting side note- I stopped having drainage of any kind around 1.5-2 weeks after my fistulotomy. I'm not sure if this is because I caught it so early on or if it simply drained out quickly. I will keep this spot updated, but so long as these aches and BM pains are normal I should be in the clear.
Cporosus1
Salt Bather

Topics: 28

Re: Potential/Likely Success Story

Postby pinpin » 12 May 2015, 07:39

Hello,

How are you doing today?
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good