My Anal Fistula story

**SUCCESS**

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

My Anal Fistula story

Postby petey » 30 Aug 2015, 23:26

Since i was about 16 years old I was having these weird pains in my butt and they would come and go and i didnt think anything about it, I just thought they were hemorrhoids.

I struggled with this for four years before the pain got pretty severe and I had to go see a doctor. He told me that I didnt have hemorrhoids and that I had an abcess and he needed to do a incision and drainage. He also said that based on how it looked it seemed like a chronic infection and that i should go see a colon surgeon. There I got a rectal exam, which didn't hurt, and he said that i had a fistula.

So, as soon as I heard that, I tried to look up online what it was and how people dealt with it, and I think that was by far the worst thing to do, becasue every forum Iread everyone went through a nightmare of pain! This affected me so much that I was really depressed and started to have painic attacks based on what people were saying. So, I have just had surgery for the fistula about 6 days ago, and honestly I've never felt so good since as long as i can rememeber, hence this post.

Writing this post is to try and comfort people, so they don't have to go through the same hell I did, which was worrying about everything. This was my first surgery ever, and honestly i feel so much better. I wouldn't say that you are in pain at all, you're just a little sore, and honestly this goes away within the first 24 hours.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is DON'T read anything online!!!!!! It will drive you insane. Believe me, this surgery is going to help you soooo much, I promise you. Don't be like me and read reviews and get scared and have sleepless nights and panic attacks, because the surgery is simple and once it's done you'll see what I mean.
petey

Topics: 1

Re: My Anal Fistula story

Postby Savaici » 13 Sep 2015, 20:05

So glad it all worked out well for you, Petey. Have moved your story to the Fistula Success Stories as encouragement for others! :Rock: :thankyou:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Sue » 27 Nov 2015, 05:03

I couldn't agree more. Had surgery for a fistula 4 days ago and I was soooo worried about pain afterwards and with bowel movements. Read everything I could find on the topic and expected the worst. But, guess what? I hardly believe it myself but there has been NO pain at all. Not when moving around and not with bowel movements. I just feel a mild burning sensation mixed with itching for a short while. I wish I would have known this before surgery. Have dealt with fissure, abscess and fistula since February so I have had my share of pain. My fistula was a superficial one and was deroofed.
Sue

Postby Katie » 14 Feb 2017, 14:02

I had a op on my fistula and fissure and skin tag removed 4 weeks ago Thursday I'm not in all the pain I was with my fistula but it does hurt a little going to the toliet and after for a bit and I get itching as well and little bit of blood on tissue how long do u think it will take for them all to heal I have read 3 to 6 months? Xx
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby girlysnsports » 08 Mar 2018, 12:01

Petey,
Wish I would have read this before my surgery. I read so many stories and even went to as far as watching a video on how doctors perform the surgery. I was scared to death and also had panic attacks and sleepless nights full of tears and begging God to tell me why this was all happening to me. But, I had my surgery and it was nothing like I read. It healed fast. I still feel a little soreness sometimes after a bowel movement and I am four months post surgery. I think I’ll always be sensitive in that area and probably never the same. I also suffer from an external hemorrhoid that won’t go away unless I have surgery. There is also two skin tags. One from when the hemorrhoid thrombosed and one right by where I had the Fistulotomy surgery which just recently appeared. I’m told rectal surgeries often result in skin tags and it’s best just to live with it instead of getting it removed. I know my bum will never look or be the same but I’m glad I’m not the only one going through it. This hemorrhoid sucks though!! I do my best to keep my stools soft and everything cleaned down there. I often get a burning and annoying itch where the hemorrhoid is though. I’m going to try using Tucks and see if I can find some peace.
girlysnsports