Advancement flaps

Bilateral sliding flap anoplasty.

A place for informstion and to help others who are having or have had this surgery.

Return to Advancement Flap Surgery

Re: Advancement flaps

Postby NickF » 10 Feb 2017, 10:11

Thanks for that detailed reply Suzy. I really appreciate it. I might go back and ask my CRS to test me for stenosis. Is it simple to diagnose? I have normal resting pressures. However, I had an Endoanal Ultrasound that shows I have a 2cm anal canal while the normal range is 3-5.5cm. Does this sound like an indication of stenosis?

I have seen 3 CRS's and they all say they havent seen a case like mine before. For the last 1 year and 2 months I have had an acute fissure that heals and tears every 1-3 weeks and I have what I assume is the typical fissure spasming (2 hours after BM I am in agonising pain for 4-7 hours).

If you dont mind, can I ask you whether you had a typical chronic fissure? (hypertrophied papilla and visible edges of the internal sphincter muscle) or did you also go through a heal/tear cycle like me?

Thanks again!
NickF
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby suzyljank » 10 Feb 2017, 10:23

Hi, My fissure was large and deep and kept healing and tearing repeatedly that's what added to more scar tissue. I have to clarify, I had previous hemm. surgery years ago which was the primary cause of the stenosis, the fissure jut made things so much worse. I didn't know I had stenosis until it got so bad. I'm also not a person who likes to take any medication so when miralax was first suggested I didn't listen. I finally tried it a year later and was mad at myself for not trying it sooner. You have to do what's best for you. Once you have anal problems you have to adjust to make yourself and your life more comfortable. A good doctor will tell you if they can help you and tell you what to expect after surgery. My doctor told me he could help me but that he couldn't promise things would be exactly like they were before all this started. He only told me he could help make it better. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby NickF » 10 Feb 2017, 10:26

Thanks suzy. Last question, how did you find a good doctor? are you by any chance in the UK?
NickF
Salt Bather

Postby suzyljank » 10 Feb 2017, 12:15

Hi, I'm not in the UK sorry, I first went to my gastroenterologist and had the colonoscopy and stuff when she finally saw how bad things were for me she found me the CRS. She felt so bad for me she gave me her home number to call her anytime. I got really lucky, I know that now. Ask other people who have similar problems who they see, check the doctor out on the computer, see his success rate etc. You need to find someone who will listen to you and explain everything to you. My doctor was very friendly and very blunt about what I needed done, at first it scared the heck out of me but once I committed to the surgery he was with me all the way. Good luck Suzy
suzyljank

Postby NickF » 10 Feb 2017, 12:29

Thank you for all the information and time you took to write it. I'm in the UK and our healthcare system only gives us 5-10 minute appointments so you don't get a lot of time. But hearing how well you have been treated shows me that there is good care available out there, even if not in my country. I am also a US citizen and I may go there for treatment now. Something to consider.
Thanks again and I hope you have a peaceful and fissure free life!
NickF
Salt Bather

Postby suzyljank » 10 Feb 2017, 14:09

Your welcome and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I did write a detailed account of my surgery before and after if you'd like to read it it should still be there. Hope you find yourself on the road to recovery soon. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby NickF » 10 Feb 2017, 14:38

I have read them now. I used the search bar to find everything I could on peoples experience of advancement flaps. I knew LIS was far more common but I was surprised to see how few people have had the advancement flaps. Its looking like that will be my next operation so hopefully some more people will post their experiences in the mean time. Do you think any of the people that run the site will create a sticky for advancement flap surgery like the one for LIS? or is it just too uncommon to warrant that.
NickF
Salt Bather

Postby suzyljank » 10 Feb 2017, 16:50

There are a fair amount of people who've had advancement flaps, they're not just for fissure they're also for people who can't have LIS. When people have their surgeries most of them don't come back to post how things went after they've healed.. As far as creating a sticky send a private email to the administrator and ask if they could possibly do that.
suzyljank

Postby NickF » 10 Feb 2017, 17:40

That's a good idea. Who is the administrator so I can email them?
NickF
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 10 Feb 2017, 23:59

I am an Admin, Nick. Just let me know what you want as a 'sticky'.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222