Advancement flaps

Bilateral sliding flap anoplasty.

A place for informstion and to help others who are having or have had this surgery.

Return to Advancement Flap Surgery

Advancement flaps

Postby suzyljank » 30 May 2016, 19:16

I'm going to attempt to post a picture of bilateral advancement flaps. Someone was kind enough to tell me how to do this so I hope it works. This is the surgery I had done 3 years ago. Sorry in advance if this doesn't work. Also I don't want to scare anyone, it looks pretty bad but I did it.

[+] under spoiler
IMG_1899.jpeg
IMG_1899.jpeg (20.37 KiB) Viewed 4004 times
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Re: Advancement flaps

Postby pinpin » 31 May 2016, 07:21

Being for while with all those problems it looks kind of fine for me, I am once again sorry for everything you experienced, and very happy you are way better nowadays.

PS: Though, I have put picture under the spoiler, so there is choice to click on it.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Hopeful1 » 06 Jun 2016, 09:09

Just looks like a couple of cheese and tomato pizzas! Can this also be performed for internal fissures? Just checking in case my symptoms don't disappear as hoped ;)
Haemorrhoids: for about 8 years - lived with it
Rubber Band Ligation: Spring 2015
Anal Skin Tag Removal: Summer 2015 (missed sentinel pile)
Fissure diagnosed: Aug/Sep 2015
GTN unsuccessful
LIS: 17 March 2016
Hopeful1
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby suzyljank » 08 Jun 2016, 11:57

That's something you're going to have to ask your CRS. My doctor was the one who told me that advancement flaps were my only option after other options failed. Write a list of questions and bring them with you when you see your doctor. I always do that so I don't forget to get my questions answered. You have to do what's best for you. My surgery was a rough surgery because those flaps were left open during healing and it took months for them to close completely. Keeping the area clean so I didn't get an infection was difficult too. Honestly if I didn't have help I don't know what I would have done.
suzyljank

Postby randyyang » 10 Jul 2016, 12:33

so the picture is from three years ago or now? will the donor site scar will looks like this after three years?
randyyang
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby suzyljank » 10 Jul 2016, 22:06

Hi the donor site eventually grows new skin. The scar is around the edges. Leaving the site open during healing gives it more flexibility when it's completely healed.
suzyljank

Postby randyyang » 11 Jul 2016, 00:13

Thanks for reply suzyljank
I have my sentinal tag removal surgery in February, doc left the incision site open, but that's what caused my two new fissures, cuz the scar tissue left from surgery seems don't have too much flexibility which keeps retear,,, which is opposite what you experienced.
randyyang
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby suzyljank » 22 Jul 2016, 12:58

Sorry you're having so much trouble. I also had skin tags but my CRS didn't remove them for that very reason. Hope things start to improve for you soon.
suzyljank

Postby NickF » 10 Feb 2017, 08:50

Thank you for posting your experience of advancement flaps suzyljank. Do you mind me asking how you are doing now after several years? Are you completely healed?

Thanks
Nick
NickF
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby suzyljank » 10 Feb 2017, 09:47

NickF, Hi, It's been almost 4 years since my surgery, they gave me a 2 year window for things to heal and calm down so thank god I'm passed that. I do pretty well. Because my diagnosis was stenosis with a large fissure I will always have to take miralax. My surgery helped a great deal but once you have stenosis you always have it, I have what they call functional stenosis now. Things can stretch now but not like the original parts did that's why I take miralax and dilate once a day. Sometimes my surgical sight will ache and that's literally a pain in the butt. The donor sites get irritated easily because it's new skin but it's not bad. I'm just grateful I found a surgeon who could help me. If I would have gone with the closed flap surgery I probably wouldn't be doing so well. The open flaps surgery kept the donor sites open to heal which caused less scar tissue to pull so I'm glad I did that. I have 2 regret, the first being waiting too long to get the original fissure diagnosed and the second waiting 5 more years after a failed LIS to have the advancement flaps. If I had the surgery when it was suggested I would have only needed 1 flap. My stenosis got so bad I was totally out of options by the time I had my surgery. Thank you for asking. Suzy
suzyljank