Y-V Advancement Flap/Botox

HELP

A place for informstion and to help others who are having or have had this surgery.

Return to Advancement Flap Surgery

Y-V Advancement Flap/Botox

Postby asdf123456 » 27 Feb 2014, 12:23

Hi Friends,
Long story short I had a Y-V advancement flap surgery for a posterior fissure just 1 week ago. Too much fiber led to a fairly large, slightly dry, dump this morning, and I am now concerned that I moved the flap and blew everything. Can someone who has had this surgery please let me know if there's anyway I could know this, or if it is even possible to move it after 7 days of healing without incident. I didn't see any stitches come out, would I have even seen any? I have a doctor's appointment on Monday but is it bad if I wait till then, or if the stitches popped is it urgent to see a doctor right away?
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Re: Y-V Advancement Flap/Botox

Postby owmybum » 28 Feb 2014, 05:45

Hi,
I would phone the crs office and ask what their advice would be.... Best not to leave it until Monday if you're not sure.

I will be having the flap surgery soon...... Any advice or if you could share your experience would be really appreciated.

Let me know how you get on

Ombx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby dent1 » 28 Feb 2014, 11:54

Hi I had the same procedure about this time last year for an anterior fissure and ended up splitting my stitches. I had terrible problems with BM due to just being given lactulose and fibrogel. I ended up having to get district nurse out to give an enema and then went on to movicol which has been so much better. I did not really know I had definitely split my stitches until I went back for my review but it did not feel right. The most important thing is keep everything clean - sitting on side of bathtub and using a shower head to wash after BM's was a big help. I wish I had been on movicol before hand so it was already going through me. If you are otherwise OK wait until monday - they won't be able to re stitch you anyway. I did heal very well eventually but I could feel a big ridge of scar tissue for ages but by 3months it had pretty well disappeared.
dent1
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby asdf123456 » 28 Feb 2014, 12:21

Thank you OMB and Dent. I figured they wouldn't be able to do much anyway so I guess I'll just wait till my scheduled appointment on Monday. I actually poop just fine on my own so I shouldn't have listened to their suggestion of that high fiber diet. Too much fiber for me is just as bad as none at all. I tried to be modest with it, but I wasn't modest enough I guess. I wasn't constipated and certainly wouldn't have needed an enema or anything to get it out, but I just had to push a little bit and I usually don't have to at all. I tried to look in there to see if I fucked it up but I can't really see what's supposed to be where. It looks horrifying honestly.

Dent- Do you recall how long it took you to stop bleeding? I have been bleeding nearly everyday for almost 20 months since my Hem surgery destroyed my life, and for me the day when I stop pooping blood sounds like heaven. I am SOOOOO anxious to just take a normal dump and not be in pain or bleeding. Also, you said you ripped your stitches but your flap stayed in place, do you know how long post/op before the flap is more or less supposed to be embedded and can survive a suture blow-out? I was at the doctor this past Monday and told my stitches looked fine, so that means I had at least 5 full days (and probably 7), before any incident. Today my poop was much better too, because I ate normally yesterday (cheeseburger + a milkshake).
asdf123456
VIP

Postby asdf123456 » 28 Feb 2014, 12:30

p.s. OMB, if memory serves, you had a similar experience with a hemm surgery that ruined your life too?? Long story short, I had a hemm surgery that caused a stricture, and 2 fissures. 1 year later, I had a corrective LIS and stricturotomy surgery, which relieved the stricture but left one fissure that is actually really a surgical wound that the hemm surgeon made. The YV flap was more painful that LIS, but in my memory, less painful than that horrifying hemm surgery. I'm only a week post/op though.

One more question: Has anyone ever heard of someone having a repeat flap surgery? Is that possible? Or is it a 1x thing that either works or doesn't?
asdf123456
VIP

Postby dent1 » 28 Feb 2014, 13:20

Hi my surgeon said my wound looked like a "car crash" at the time and there were 2 rows of stitches so the flap was kept in the right place but had to heal with more scar tissue forming on the side the stitches split than would happen if the 2 sides of the join had stayed neatly opposed. Good you are ok with pooping. To be honest I still get some bleeding with BM at times - this is why I am staying on the movicol long term. I have been diagnosed as having IBS but at times I wonder if I have some sort of low grade Crohns as I also get lip swelling and fissures. Sorry probably not what you wanted to hear but I am a lot better than I was - but did not have any haemmorroids - just sentinal piles which have also been removed.
I don't really get any pain now it is healed- only if i cut back on the movicol.
Last edited by dent1 on 28 Feb 2014, 14:46, edited 2 times in total.
dent1
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby owmybum » 28 Feb 2014, 13:45

Yes asd123456, you're right..... Hem surgery 3 years ago has left me with this chronic fissure (and since Botox last summer... All my hems have returned too!!!)

I believe the flap is a one time, last resort thing. I'm not sure what would happen if it doesn't.work... That's what scares me.

Do you not take movicol?(mirilax) it really will help keep things extra soft whilst you heal. You are braver than me.... I don't think I would be brave enough to look... I didn't when I had the hem surgery!! Scary!

OMB xx
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby asdf123456 » 28 Feb 2014, 18:22

That's what I thought, OMB. Sorry to hear you've been dealing with this for so long. I don't need movicol, and I heard that some laxatives can be habit forming, so I don't want to experiment. My post-LIS poops have been very easy, for the most part. Pre-LIS, the stricture I had made pooping so difficult that in retrospect I am surprised I didn't have a stroke, seriously. Since I had hemms my whole life (26 years), I thought that was just how the hemm-free world pooped, and tried fiber and diet changes to no avail. Took like 8 months for a new CRS to tell me I had a stricture.
asdf123456
VIP

Postby owmybum » 04 Mar 2014, 03:17

How did your appointment go?? Is everything still ok??

Hope so!

OMB x
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby asdf123456 » 04 Mar 2014, 11:25

Hi OMB,

I went to the CRS yesterday, and he said the flap is still in place and looking good, but there is one area that is more on the outside edge of the flap that seems to be wider than the rest. He said it could be a popped stitch but there's no way to be sure. He didn't seem too worried about it because the rest of the flap, and most importantly, the tip of the flap, have no been healing in place for 12 days. Hopefully that one little problem area just works itself out once the rest heals up.

I am still laying on my belly most of the day, as much as possible, because my butt feels swollen if I sit on it for too long. Otherwise, the pain is pretty manageable. Strangely, he did tell me that he'll have to remove the exterior stitches next week because they are not dissolvable. I do not understand why he used dissolvable stitches inside my butt, but non-dissolvable outside, but I'll ask next time. The pain is not too bad, but sitting upright, and other activity is still out of the question for me. Fortunately, I am on disability from work so I don't have much to do but lay on my belly and watch TV. Very boring!! Thank you so much for checking in; I'll keep you posted after my next doctor's visit next week (stitches coming out).
asdf123456
VIP