Failed surgery. So depressed

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Failed surgery. So depressed

Postby lytefall » 23 Aug 2017, 13:20

Had a Fissurectomy and dilatation. I haven't had a single moment of pain relief between the recovery and a new onset of very familiar pain about 5 weeks post op. Surgeon confirmed my worst fear a couple days ago...I either have a new fissure now or a recurrence.

I don't even know what to do. They are now saying it could be up to another year before I have the LIS. I am losing my mind. My quality of life is gone.

It's been almost 2 years since this started and now I have to wait another year.
lytefall
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Failed surgery. So depressed

Postby LemonMan » 24 Aug 2017, 02:05

Hang in there Lytefall. I think we all get set backs. I've just had failed botox so know where you are coming from. You will get better in the end. Keep reading this forum for tips on what has helped others. I've also recently joined a chronic pain group on facebook which has helped me - you don't have to give full details of your condition - but the point is sharing really helps get through.

Good luck, you will win!
LM
Aug 14: Anal Abscess diagnosed
Dec 15: Anterior Anal Fissure diagnosed
Jan 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of Jan
Apr 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of May
Sep 16: Fissure back. Started Anoheal again
May 17: Botox and banding - fingers crossed
LemonMan
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby patience_and_healing » 25 Aug 2017, 17:10

Do you have an option to go private for the LIS? I'm not sure how the health care system works in Canada. Don't despair, you'll get through this!
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby lytefall » 25 Aug 2017, 18:14

I don't think that's an option unless I cross border and pay out of pocket. And even that isn't really feasible as I have been off work over 3 months in total in the last year due to gallbladder attacks/gallbladder removal, fissure issues and the fissurectomy/dilatation. The savings have taken quite a hit recently.
Last edited by lytefall on 25 Aug 2017, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
lytefall
Salt Bather

Postby hurtinend » 25 Aug 2017, 19:23

I live in Canada. There are many private clinics, but yes, the cost is prohibitive. I inquired to a private clinic a few years ago, to have a consultation with a CRS. If I recall correctly, the cost of the consultation, and looking up there, was $ 895.00 Canadian dollars. I can't imagine what surgery would cost.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby lytefall » 25 Aug 2017, 19:56

Unreal. This is the unfortunate part about our healthcare system. Might not cost thousands out of pocket but you wait ages to get treated. Then when you have the surgery and it's not successful you go to the back of the line again.

I am just tired of being in pain for everything I do. I have had to go see a therapist to figure out some way to deal with the depression that comes with it all. My biggest frustration is that since I am always in pain I have a short fuse and it's affecting my marriage and my interactions with my children. I am just sick of knowing that no matter what I do it will be overshadowed with the pain.

It's been 20mths now since it first started and a failed surgery, it's hard to stay positive.
lytefall
Salt Bather

Postby patience_and_healing » 26 Aug 2017, 23:13

I'm really sorry you have to go through this nightmare. Do they have any special provisions to get people ahead in the line? How do people who have urgent surgery needs get dealt with? And are you open to taking painkillers to get you through this time? I've read that gabapentin has helped some users on this forum.
patience_and_healing

Postby lytefall » 27 Aug 2017, 07:36

I don't think they consider it urgent because it's not life threatening. I have been taking naproxen, and occasionally left over tramacet from my gallbladder surgery but they haven't given me anything stronger.
lytefall
Salt Bather

Postby lytefall » 27 Aug 2017, 07:42

I am having a hard time finding something that works for me also. I have seen a lot of posts on here about different threads and so-and-so has had great success with treatment plan X but I can't find these threads people are referring to.

Currently I take docusate and senekot twice a day, and whole psyllium husk in water every evening along with about 3L of water during the day. Even with all that I am only having one small BM most days which I am sure isn't helping.

Can you give me a little better direction to where I find threads with these successful protocols or med schedules?
lytefall
Salt Bather

Postby patience_and_healing » 27 Aug 2017, 11:47

You can find success stories on this sub forum viewforum.php?f=10. I think senekot is not good to take long term because it's a stimulant and can make the colon dependent on it. Miralax is a much safer choice and can be easily adjusted according to your need. Psyllium is a bulking fiber so something non bulking like Benefiber is a better option. However if you think it works for you then keep taking it.
patience_and_healing