Traveling and CRS appointment

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Traveling and CRS appointment

Postby cherylk » 20 May 2008, 04:39

Is traveling tough for most of you? I want to travel, but don't right now. First of all I have a sitting prob which makes traveling difficult. Also, when I am not home it is more difficult to control my water drinking of 8 glasses a day and my food intake.
I will ask my CRS about refrigeration of the cream, how long one can safely take the dilitiazem, and aloe and Gold Bond Powder for skin tags.
I used to eat between 35 and 40 grams of fiber daily, but that amount contributed to gassiness and pain for me and actually exacerbated my IBS probs. Furthermore, I was still somewhat constipated! I think for some a high fiber diet is not sufficient. Obviously, all our colons are individual ones!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Re: Traveling and CRS appointment

Postby happyass » 20 May 2008, 04:48

also depends on what kind of fiber you are getting...soluable vs insoluable.
that can help you.
adding probiotics if you are not already taking them, may help too in order to restore the flora in your digestive tract
if you are still constipated with all that fiber, then perhaps there is something that you need to do to counteract it. not sure if you are already taking colace/ducolax as a softner aid and if you are rethinking your diet - are there any saturated fats, meats, dairy that you can let go of?
do you drink coffee?
you may want to increase your uptake of water to 16 glasses of water to make sure there is a lot of fluid in the digestive/intestines to help soften things out too.
are you taking any other medications - even aspirin or other OTC meds can cause constipation.
incorporate some yoga, tai chi or qi gong to help gently move your blood and muscles in the body - this will help aid in movement of the bowels.
no one wants to travel with fissures but sometimes you just need to put those fissures in their place and just live life........even if your butt hurts!!!!!!! :-) this will help you take a little more back of your life and show fissure who is boss (this goes along with all the mental imagery that was brought up in another post.....)
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Deleted User 5 » 20 May 2008, 05:37

Cheryl, traveling was truly awful for me and I rarely left town when I had my fissure. Just being in the car and driving was enough to set off a spasm and I became a homebody, more or less.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 20 May 2008, 07:17

I hate traveling and dread it because it gets me off my safety routine but as Gareth says sometimes you just have to live your life. I am going to Colorado for 6 weeks next month even though I will be nervous being out of my element.

I really like the Digestive Advantage fiber with probiotics. I ran out last week and have been constipated ever since. I placed a rush order from Drugstore.com.

There is an article about constipation I posted a few months back about how fiber can be detrimental to some. Here it is again for those of you who missed it.

Postby Jo » 20 May 2008, 08:36

Image Lecia,
I appreciate the article. It is good to read this info, I have suffered for years with constipation. I remember being in first grade and not being able to go and being so uncomfortable and crying. It seems like frequently I need a little extra to keep things moving regularly. I certainly don't want to go back to the days when I caused these problems by not taking something. I know various Dr's warn of taking laxatives for this problem and everything can be solved by extra fiber. This doesn't work for everybody and the consequences can be very painful!
Colorado sounds great! Hope you have a great time and no butt problems.
Thanks,
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Guest » 20 May 2008, 08:44

Glad you liked the article, Jo. I know it was a relief to me to read. I used to hold my bms all day when I was in school-there was no way I could go in public and I still have problems with that. I am sure years of that couldn't be good for my system.

Yep, I am praying that my butt survives everything this Summer!

Postby cherylk » 20 May 2008, 10:33

Lecia,
Thanks for posting that article. I only scanned it and will read it more in its entirety later today. Maybe if we just keep sharing and try to stay positive, everything will be OK.
I attended summer school at the University of Colorado many years ago and studied geology. Great place for that with all of the rock formations!! The following summer I worked in Estes Park. Love Colorado! Where are you going there?
We had to cancel our planned month-long trip to Australia and New Zealand a year ago because of my butt prob. The good thing about that is that we were refunded most of our money. We were scheduled to go with a tour group.
cherylk
VIP

Postby Guest » 20 May 2008, 10:50

Hey Cheryl,
My husband got his PhD at University of Colorado so we lived in Boulder for 4 years. Both sides of the family live in Fort Collins now so that is where we will be. I have to stand my ground with my family because they don't understand why I eat the way I do and how complicated going to the bathroom can be.

My husband and I got married close to Estes Park and had our reception there at the Golden Eagle Resort. That is such a nice little area.

That is good you got a refund for your trip. Did you have trip insurance or were they just good about it? I would love to travel internationally but that seems a bit daunting right now.

Postby cherylk » 20 May 2008, 11:17

Lecia,
We have something in common besides our butt issues!! I love Boulder, but I think it has changed a lot since I was there many years ago. (Remember I am older!) Is your husband a prof? I worked at the YMCA of the Rockies as a waitress in Estes and had lots of free time to go on the scheduled hikes to explore the mts. I took a course in both physical and historical geology at CU. Love the Rockies!!
Traveling internationally is the furthest thing from my mind right now. I prefer to stay in the US and have a few successful short trips. For the planned Australia trip we did have insurance, and my doc wrote a note that I was unable to travel.
I think that we are all afraid of upsetting the applecart so to speak. People with butt issues cannot understand our feelings about that, I am sure. I never used to watch my diet the way I do now. I have taken two cruises, but did not have my constipation prob at those times. We went to the Western Caribbean, and my friend and I took an Alaskan cruise. Now that we are retired I get discouraged because I am not able to travel as I want to do.
You guys are so computer savvy with your pictures and inserting smiley faces in your test. I have not yet been able to figure out how to do those things! Thanks for being an administrator!
cherylk
VIP

Postby buttgirl » 20 May 2008, 11:26

If I could have helped it, I wouldn't have traveled with my fissure. but it did and only about 1/2 the time was I worse for the wear. about 1/4 of the time, I was better for the relaxation. I did have to stand my ground with work, when they would question--"why are you eating this, can't you just eat the steaks the conference provided for you???" If I couldn't get suitable food, I just wouldn't eat. that was reall hard sometimes because I was really hungry. i bet people thought I had an eating disorder or something.
So travelling is posssible. It was quite a production though. I always had to wake up an hour before everone else so that I could go through my morning routine, I'd eat weird, I'd carry a huge water bottle everywhere (still do)...
You probably made the right decision to cancel your trip. I am for living despite the pain and discomfort--just finding a way to cope whereever I am-- but I certainly would have enjoyed the trips more without the fissure.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67