Good news from my CRS appointment!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Good news from my CRS appointment!

Postby cherylk » 20 May 2008, 17:54

Hope for ointment users!! My CRS appointment went very well. He merely pulled the area apart like he did 5 weeks ago when he diagnosed my fissure. I am getting more comfortable with him and his assistant and the lovely table!! Prior to my appointment I had called the pharmacy, and they told me that the dilitiazen cream does not have to be refrigerated.
My CRS said that it looks like my fissure is healed. As he had me in the lovely uncompromised position, I told him about this group. He thought a support group is a great idea and also said that AF's are common. Maybe there are thousands of people who would like to be part of this group, but they don't know about it.
He gave me another prescription for Diltiazen cream, but doesn't think taking it longer than 8 weeks total would be helpful. I still have some cream left in my first tube, but it is difficult to tell how much is in there. He also said that nifedipine cream and diltiazen cream are one and the same. He does not do Botox, but would do the surgery as the next step. I am not surprised at that as in the Midwest the docs usually do newer procedures later, rather than sooner than docs on both coasts (except for Mayos). He feels that the cream is a better option than Botox.
I told him that I think there are emotional issues with fissures, and he agreed with me. I do not feel that I am 100% healed although I am better. Could it be that the muscle underneath the tissue is not yet 100% healed? I am much better, and I am grateful for that. Just don't believe that I am 100% yet. Sometimes after sitting on the Sitz bath I can see reddish tissue which probably is from the fissure.
I asked him about the skin tags. He did not feel that Gold Bond Powder or aloe would help the tags. Just sharing his opinions with everyone. Will keep everyone posted on new developments.
I still have a challenge regulating my digestive system with the right amount of Miralax. The CRS did agreee that the system has to be just right--not too much one way or the other. We will all get through these trials and tribulations if we just keep positive and keep supporting one another. I appreciate the feedback that has been given to my comments.
To continued health improvements for all,
Cheryl
P.S. Too bad about Senator Kennedy, not matter how one feels about him personally or politically.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Re: Good news from my CRS appointment!

Postby Guest » 20 May 2008, 18:39

That's great news!!! Just keep up your routine as that area is going to be more vulnerable for awhile.

I have to say that the aloe vera helped me and was suggested by a CRS. He also suggested vitamin E. But you ask 12 different CRSs (the number of docs I have seen) and each one might tell you a different thing.

I had another CRS say that putting a cotton ball in between the cheeks could help with pain because it keeps the area dry so gold bond powder could work in that way. Just keep an open mind as most doctors follow an algorithm for treatment and don't really think outside the box. I think if something won't be harmful or detrimental then it might be worth a try. I figure it is my butt and I have to live with it.

Yeah, I still struggle with getting the right combo for lucrative BMs. You might want to try a magnesium supplement.

Congrats on the good news and thanks for your willingness to share!

Postby Fissulyna » 20 May 2008, 18:46

That is great news Cheryl Image Just don't forget that that area needs about 8 months to a year to be fully healed - don't stray from your regiment , not even for a day - or you will have to catch up for long time with your original success ! Congrats one more time Image and may your healing be complete and forever !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Jen » 20 May 2008, 20:23

Cheryl -
That is great news! Congrats and keep up with the good healing! Image
I have more issues with my fissure emotionally than physically. But things are looking up for me as well!
Jen Image
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 20 May 2008, 20:26

Yeah, you know the emotional side of this is very heavy indeed. I have such fear now. I live in constant fear of developing another butt complication that I feel I have this black cloud following me around.

We all need a dose of confidence I think that we can handle this!

Postby Jo » 20 May 2008, 21:01

Cheryl,
That is great news! It is encouraging to hear positive results.
I share your struggle with regulating the miralax.
I have tried the vitamin E and it sure seemed to help me.
I appreciate your sharing on this board.
Hoping for your continued healing.

Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Fissulyna » 20 May 2008, 22:02

Jo - do you also use applicator for your cream ? My CRS told me that it is not necessary but now I wonder Image
Thanks a lot in advance :'\;redbud:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby cherylk » 21 May 2008, 05:47

Jo,
I like to take one or two teaspoons of lemon juice in the am to help with constipation. If you don't mind me asking, how much Miralax do you use? I take 1 1/4 capful in the am and about a capful in the pm b/4 bed (actually I measure it out more precisely). My Mayo GI doc started me out on a capful in the am, but after stopping my stool softener I was taking, the am dose was not enough. One of my family doc patients takes 2 capfuls in the am and the same in the pm (a guy).
As for the ointment I use the applicator that came with my hemrroid ointment. It is less than an inch long and it works pretty well for me. I think one could use the pinky finger, but I think the applicator is narrower. I have trouble sitting comfortably, do you? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Postby Jo » 21 May 2008, 07:20

Hi Fiss Image ,
I don't have an applicator. Sometimes I wonder how much actually gets in. I use a finger cot, and it seems like alot of it gets on the cot and in the garbage! Wish I had an applicator. For some reason those cots have a nasty smell.
:hi: Cheryl,
I currently take one capful in the morning, but about once a week I may skip the dose cause of too many stools in a day. But frequently when I do that I don't have a bowel movement for a few days, which is always scary for me. Not sure how to get everything regular. I am taking metamucil and other fiber during the day. If I really feel like things might not come out like it should I take a senna tablet or two, not too often though.
Does the applicator you use come over the counter or is it something you got from your Dr.?
As for sitting, I kind of alternate from one side to the other, so I always look a little lopsided! It feels good to recline when I get a chance (not often enough!) cause it seems to take the pressure off of the bottom. This is getting better.
Take care,
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby cherylk » 21 May 2008, 08:17

Hey Jo,
Thanks for your quick reply! It is a beautiful, sunny day here. Do you live in Illinois also? If I recall correctly, you have also been to Mayos?
I am getting some of the personalities/people straight. It is interesting for me to communicate with you people as only my hubsand and I are here most of the time. Since I retired, I miss my work friends but not the stress. I cannot figure out how you get those pictures under your names??
The applicator I use was my own wonderful idea! It came with Proctosol ointment (for hemmroids). I hadn't use this Proctosol tube, but the applicator was obviously available for me to use with my Diliatzem. My pharmacy gave me a LONG applicator with the Diliatzem, and I didn't have very much success in using is as the tip is not rounded like the one I use. I feel we must treat that area with TLC as much as possible. I have to take my prescription for Diliatzem to the pharmacy. How long have you been taking Diliatzem? I am unfamiliar with a finger cot.
Maybe we should all move to China. My brother in law and his wife have been over there for a couple of years. I don't think they have toilets, but rather places to squat. People really do live quite differently there; people spit on the carpet also I think they said. No thanks although I think the great wall would be interesting to see. We used to have a pic up on my bulletin board at work of my former boss on the great wall. He said the sun was only a tiny dot in the sky (because of all the polution).
We don't have life threatening probs, just life altering probs. I actually measure my Miralax out by teaspoonfulls and try to get the necessary fiber through foods, but I used to take chewable fiber tablets as well. It is good to know that I am not alone with my sitting issues! Heres wishing us all a painfree good day for our butts, Cheryl
cherylk
VIP