Good news from my CRS appointment!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Good news from my CRS appointment!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 21 May 2008, 08:20

I was given an applicator that had a sharp point, can you imagine that? It was for proctofoam two years ago. What were the manufacturers thinking?
Congrats on your good news, Cheryl!
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 21 May 2008, 08:52

Thank you. However, I don't feel I am completely out of the woods. It is going to take quite awhile, so I will still need the support of others as regulating my Miralax is always a challenge to get everything the way it should be. My goal will be to take an inland cruise off of the east coast--maybe a year from now. I would have to fly from the Midwest to the east coast and then be on a small ship for about a week. They have told me they would be willing to accommodate any of my dietary needs (American Cruise Lines).
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Jen » 21 May 2008, 08:55

Kim -
I had the same appilactor! Ouch!
Cheryl - Are you going to continue with the cream for a little longer/ If so, how much longer? I am afraid to get off the nitro! I am addicted to it!
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Jo » 21 May 2008, 09:34

Cheryl,
The finger cots are sold at walmart & others near the band aids and latex gloves. They are latex glove fingers cut off and rolled up in a small box of assorted sizes. I guess the latex is quite smelly or I got a bad batch!
I started using the nifidipine ointment March 8, so it's been awhile.
Yes, I was at the Mayo clinic, my third Dr. It is a 6 hour drive, but worth it. I live in the beautiful Dakotas! It has been a cool spring but I planted most of my garden yesterday (with a little help from my son!). It is nice to feel well enough to want to go to the garden.
The pictures under the names are avatars! I actually didn't ever hear of that before I found this group, guess I don't know too much about computers either, but I can learn... Image You can upload pictures from your computer. Look under profile under the headings and there is a place to edit your profile and add an avatar. You can look for different pictures on the internet and then save them on your computer. You then upload them from your computer to edit section. I am sure someone else probably can explain better than I.
I actually am getting ready to fly to Michigan today for my sons graduation, so I really need to get Busy!
Wishing everyone a safe and wonderful memorial day weekend.
Take care,
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby cherylk » 21 May 2008, 10:26

Jo/Jen,
My Mayo CRS doc told me 6-8 weeks for the ointment. I am currently in my 5th week. My local CRS doc told me that I am healed, but I am not sure about that. I love Mayos and wish I lived closer. I think the confidence factor has a lot to do with our healing. I was ready for anything when I went to Mayos last summer even if it meant removing my colon or some other surgery. My feeling is that they are very conservative there, yet cutting edge. My dad always felt that they are/were 5 years ahead of everyone else. Don't know if he was correct or not about that, but I guess his believe has permeated my thinking as well. Case in point--my local CRS does not do Botox, but they do it at Mayos.
I think it is difficult to find a doc in whom one is confident. I don't have a lot of confidence in most of my local docs as they all seem to tell me different things, and then I get anxious about whom to believe. Case in point--my holistic doc suggested I use Aloe or Senna for constipation while traveling, and then I asked my local GI doc about that, and he didn't go along with her recommendation. I do have confidence in my local GI doc as he did a colonscopy on me in 2001 despite all of the twists and turns of my colon. My cousin who lives near Mayos has had two colonscopies done there and both times experienced pain during them which I didn't have during mine. Sorry for the long epistle. Have fun in Michigan.
cherylk
VIP

Postby Guest » 21 May 2008, 11:48

Cheryl you are a breath of fresh air :D You do speak so much sense :D
Really pleased to hear your appointment went well and that fissure is healing nicley Image
I am sooo addicted my cream, it is my security blanket !! I have to say i have used the applicator too...which is fine, but as things got better i then started to use my very clean finger to put the cream on and in :oops: , it states on my cream- Diltiazem to massage the area, so this is what i try to do and i do think it makes quite a difference in doing this.
I do aplogise for the graphics :roll:

Postby cherylk » 21 May 2008, 12:32

Tabby,
Thanks for your comments. Do you do the massage inside or outside the rectal area? I am assuming outside. Yesterday my CRS told me to get the ointment up inside but not too far up. My applicator is about the size of my pinky finger up to the first knuckle. My Mayo CRS told me to get it up in there about that much. Maybe having a fissure is a sign of intelligence! Most people here can communicate well and many are taking classes trying to get degrees/advanced degrees or already have them. Possibly we should look at having an AF as a badge of honor. Not! I think you have been on the cream for a year and your doc evidently just keeps refilling your Rx? I am going to try to get my refill from the compounding pharmacy tomorrow. I use latex disposable gloves. May we all be healed (quickly)!!
cherylk
VIP

Postby Guest » 21 May 2008, 12:53

Thank you Cheryl...
I am massaging outside then in, to about an inch as stated on my cream.
This wouldnt have been possible 6 months back, i had to be careful with that applicator Image
Yes i have a great female GP who dosent see any problems with me being on the cream for such a long time, i had a check up with her 6 weeks back and she said the fissure is healing from the outside but didnt advise an internal...thank goodness
I am studying too, and dont know how i have managed when things were bad, i have a few weeks left, and i am just so thankfuk i could make it to the end Image
Please touch wood but things have been really good for a long time now....
God this fissure work is such hard work !!!

Postby cherylk » 21 May 2008, 13:46

Tabby,
I think I will forgo the massage for right now. I was fearing that this ointment was giving me a rash, but my CRS said no. I really wouldn't think that much of the ointment would go into the blood stream anyways. I am a little sore today as he pulled things apart yesterday. My main challenge is regulating the Miralax which I have stated numerous times. What are you studying? I graduated from college and then went back 20 years later parttime for a number of years. One of my son's peers was even in one of my classes. Yes, this fissure work is HARD work. Think of all the couch potatoes most likely w/o fissures.
cherylk
VIP

Postby Guest » 21 May 2008, 16:26

Yes maybe try when you are feeling better..
I have had no rash problems whatsoever using the cream :D
I study/work in information systems...basically my life is sitting in a computer chair :roll: