I have an AF -- what should I know?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: I have an AF -- what should I know?

Postby dennins2 » 08 Jun 2012, 14:53

Hey there!
I've had a fissure for the past five weeks. I have been given Rectogesic and suppositries, and I was using them for 3 and a half weeks, and I get bad headaches and dizziness from the Rectogesic, but I can deal with it comparing to the pain of the fissure. I have ordered Dr. Wheatgrass Superbalm, as I read loads of success stories! I've also ordered an Aloe Vera drink cream!! Has anyone ever
The pain when I have bowel movements isn't as extreme as it was, but since I went back to work, I am getting spasms and a really uncomfortable feeling around my bum. Does this mean my fissure is getting worse??
ANyone have any useful tips???
I don't know how much more of this I can take
I am meant to be going to Croatia on hols in three weeks but I can't see me going with this pain!
dennins2

Topics: 1

Postby Pearlstone » 16 Jun 2012, 22:01

Hello All,
I have had to rely on enemas on order to have a BM most of my adult life (many years). My doctor has put me on a high fiber diet... Miralax and psyllium husk fiber capsules and fresh fruits and veggies. I have not had a BM in 4 days! I've always relied on enemas to get 'started' so I am all new to this.
Fifteen years ago I had a hemorrhoidectomy and an anal fissure repair... the pain was so horrific after surgery, I thought I was going to lose my mind.
And now again, I am experiencing hemorrhoids& bleeding from a small fissure. This go round I was prescribed Nifedpine, however, Medicare does not cover compound medications. And I am on a limited income and my husband has been out of work since the first of the year. AND after reading about the medication, I am scared to use it with the headaches... I am ultra sensitive to most meds anyway so I am trying to find an easier, softer way...
This site has been SO informative... I cannot believe it. Mostly knowing that I am not alone...
Thank you,
Pearl
Pearlstone

Postby J.S. » 13 Jul 2012, 20:39

Wow. I should have read this first. This is a great site. I am suffering from multiple fissures. One was treated by surgery in Dec. I seem to have the opposite problem with my bowels. I have cronic diarrhea (4-5 times a day). I drink tons of water and am afraid to eat more fiber as who knows what would happen. I am taking a tramadol for pain and the nitro ointment. Any other ideas??? I hate being such a pain in the ass...but am glad it is the honest truth. Image
J.S.
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Tuberose » 22 Sep 2012, 05:19

maksmom06 wrote:TIPS!!!!
I have a good remedy for people suffering with Anal Fissures!!! Lots of sitz bath, especially after a BM. After your BM and washing good down there apply diaper rash cream with Zinc oxide...and if you cant bathe after BM then apply it right after. This will make it so the bacteria from your feces doesn't infect the fissure. Also, in the morning and at bedtime apply wound honey (or you can get regular maunka honey, which is what wound honey is!) This wound honey starting healing my fissure immediately!!! I only had my fissure for 2 weeks and I'm almost all healed! BM aren't nearly as painful as what they were. You can find Maunka honey or would honey online at ebay or amazon. I hope if you are having problems with this like I did this brings you some relief!!!

yes I use manuka honey as soon as a fissure happens, it stings and itches a lot for a while then starts to heal and settle down. I also use virgin coconut oil after each BM to keep the area moist. However due to my crazy eating habits at times, that doesnt prevent a fissure from happening if Im constipated for a day. Ive noticed with my BMs its the first part of it thats hard and the rest is soft and its that hard part that does the tear Image
Tuberose
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Postby BS » 08 Feb 2013, 03:56

Hi everyone,
Just joined the forum and I want to let you know how much I appreciate all the helpful posts I've found here.
To respond to a comment from tuberose:
However due to my crazy eating habits at times, that doesnt prevent a fissure from happening if Im constipated for a day. Ive noticed with my BMs its the first part of it thats hard and the rest is soft and its that hard part that does the tear.

I used to have pretty crazy eating habits too but I'm really forcing myself to change. To slow down, basically, and to take care of myself, which means, for one thing, eating well and eating at regular times.
Even so I sometimes face the problem that tuberose talks about - BM that starts out hard even though the rest of it is okay. A doctor I spoke to helped me understand that if the bowels aren't emptied regularly, the colon continues to absorb water out of the stools that are lying there, leading to hard stools. After that conversation, I tried to see to it that I have very regular BMs.
Among the things I do to cope:
- I try to eat a high fiber diet every day: oats with bran, a variety of veggies (cooked till soft), brown rice, a bowl of papaya plus two or three other fruits, and absolutely nothing with saturated fats in it - no cakes, pastries, doughnuts and stuff. Also, like many others in this forum, raw vegetables really don't work for me, and so no fresh salads either.
- I try to keep myself hydrated through the day (to prevent hard BMs). This means several mugs of unsweetened herbal tea (mint, basil, ginger) a day; 1 or 2 glasses of buttermilk made from low-fat yogurt; as well as plenty of warm water. (I find warm water helps though I don't know why).
- I take 1/2 tsp trifala powder with warm water at bedtime
- I try to get about 30 minutes of moderate to brisk walking done everyday.
- Meditation. This really really helps. Regular breathing relaxes the tension around the abdomen and sort of massages the internal organs. I was really irregular with my meditation earlier, often finding 100s of excuses to avoid doing it, and I suffered for it. But I've learned now that it's vital to relax, calm down and let go.
- I've found that it's very important to chew my food slowly and properly. Earlier I used to wolf down my meals. Not any more, since my body simply can't digest half-chewed food and it causes my AF to open up.
- I avoid painkillers at all costs because they have a constipating effect on me. To cope with pain, I have plenty of warm sitz baths.
If you want to cope with AF without surgery and lots of medication that have side-effects, you need to change your lifestyle, that is, if your lifestyle is as chaotic and unmindful as mine used to be. I'm relatively pain-free now and I do so hope that I can keep it that way.
Take care and I wish you all good health!
BS
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2