Could this theory have any relevance at all? (re: soap)

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Could this theory have any relevance at all? (re: soap)

Postby seili » 28 Jun 2011, 13:47

I have noticed that since I stopped ...well, washing that area with soap or body wash...I have been much better. I only use water.
Could there actually be relevance to this? I know not everyone would be helped by this, but I just wonder if I was indeed making myself dried out and cracking? It just seems too simple.
However, when I think of the time-frame, this problem did not start with me until I started washing with soaps. Growing up, I never did and I had even heard once that it would upset your natural cleansers, but as I got to be about mid-twenties, I wanted to be spotless clean!
However, I have also been taking more B Vitamins. So maybe that is it, however, I did that once before, too, and didn't notice this kind of change.
So far, I have been able to cut back dramatically on my generic Miralax intake. Sometimes I totally skip it. For the past year, I have been taking it 2 x a day!
Also, I am almost 37 weeks pregnant. I don't know that this would help out my problem...I know it usually makes it worse! So, I am confused.
Well, anyway, we'll see! I'll be back in the future (hopefully) to let you know, if you are interested.
seili
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Could this theory have any relevance at all? (re: soap)

Postby val » 28 Jun 2011, 14:17

Yes, it does make a huge difference! I have always been very OCD about cleanliness and allways used soap, but notice a drastic improvement if I dont use it. I use a soapfree "feminine" wash now, although I know I should only use water.
Congratulations on your pregnancy, you must be very excited! Sorry you have to deal with a fissure as well as pregnancy.
I think being pregnant brings more blood to that area? If constipation isn't an issue, as pregnancy usually causes that, then the extra blood would be beneficial for healing.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby seili » 28 Jun 2011, 14:22

It's been so strange!
Yeah, I'm afraid it's just a fluke thing...like you said, with the blood flow to that area.
But the thing is, for the rest of this pregnancy, even once my stomach was large, I was having the same anal problems....even more frequently. So, I just don't know...and all of it makes me confused for the time being!
seili
Fibre Addict

Postby val » 28 Jun 2011, 14:26

Maybe your fissure is nearly healed? Have you had LIS? Used any of the healing creams ect?
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby seili » 28 Jun 2011, 14:37

No, I've had the problem for about 6 years now. For awhile, it would go away for 6 months or so, then it started coming back all of the time and I had to use generic Miralax twice a day...and even then it would come back sometimes.
I've had a lot of problems through this pregnancy with it. Which was really difficult because I was also worried about the baby. Not that the fissure itself would hurt him, but just my continual bed rest, pain, baths- which were the only way I could go!- It was just terrible.
The only thing doctors have ever given me so far was hydrocortisone cream and advice. But I haven't used that cream during pregnancy.
I don't know....it seemed I would do okay for awhile on the miralax and then bam...out of nowhere I would tear again..in the same spot or another...I'm not sure. It's been such a chronic problem for years now, that I was considering surgery after the birth of this baby.
I guess I'll see what happens. I have less than a month left for this pregnancy.
seili
Fibre Addict