Lubricating Area Before BM? (to prevent further damage)

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Lubricating Area Before BM? (to prevent further damage)

Postby fissurepaingy » 03 Jul 2011, 16:45

I've read this too... is it good to lube the area back there with vaseline or something before a BM to prevent further damage that even a smooth BM could cause? I hear vaseline works wonders.... would it even be a good idea to put some vaseline on to prevent further damage/cracking of the fissure, at the beginning of the day, like before leaving for work?
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: Lubricating Area Before BM? (to prevent further damage)

Postby Soreguy » 03 Jul 2011, 17:38

For a BM it can be helpful but not at other times.
Vaseline can cause itching due to moisture, and unlike water based lubricants can harbour bacteria.
The best thing I found is to just keep the area as clean as possible, this helped immensely with pain.
And by keeping it clean I mean actually get in there a bit without causing bleeding, and blot with water on a tissue or 2 around the tip of your pinky and clean the tear, not witch hazel or anything with alcohol as the former contains the latter and alcohol is not good for wound healing.
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby fissurepaingy » 03 Jul 2011, 18:19

Soreguy wrote:For a BM it can be helpful but not at other times.
Vaseline can cause itching due to moisture, and unlike water based lubricants can harbour bacteria.
The best thing I found is to just keep the area as clean as possible, this helped immensely with pain.
And by keeping it clean I mean actually get in there a bit without causing bleeding, and blot with water on a tissue or 2 around the tip of your pinky and clean the tear, not witch hazel or anything with alcohol as the former contains the latter and alcohol is not good for wound healing.

That makes sense. I just thought maybe it would do wonders while making a BM since it would protect the wound and prevent the BM from further damaging it and hindering healing? Also, I've noticed that in the mornings, the area is really dry, I'm thinking because I sleep with a window unit air conditioner on all night... This may not be good for the wound, the extra dry atmosphere... I may utilize my aloe vera gel just before bed to keep the area a bit hydrated at night. Any thoughts on this?
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby Guest » 03 Jul 2011, 19:14

The vaseline was very helpful for me. I used it the whole 8 months I had my fissure and 4 weeks after my surgery. I also read that it can harbor bacteria online. I think the key is after a bm, to clean the area well( I used a shower wand and cotton), dry well by patting the area with cotton or a blow dryer on cool setting,then apply the vaseline. I doubt very seriously it will hurt to use before a bm and rinse and pat dry with cotton to get it off after, if you don't want to leave it on all day.
I was actually told by my CRS after my LIS that I could apply it after doing the cleaning above, for a barrier. I never got an infection and it's been 8 months since my surgery
I never used the aloe gel during my fissure, but have read online of some doing that. Image

Postby Soreguy » 04 Jul 2011, 06:14

fissurepaingy wrote:I just thought maybe it would do wonders while making a BM since it would protect the wound and prevent the BM from further damaging it and hindering healing? Also, I've noticed that in the mornings, the area is really dry,

It will help but not do wonders, also its moisture that causes itching in the area so I would not worry if the area is dry thats normal, infact its meant to be dry, when I told my CRS I had itching he told me to use Zinc Oxide, this fights moisture.
I just want to stress to everyone the importance of keeping the tear clean, this bought the pain and discomfort down a lot, and I think was the key in my AF healing, the tear will not be clean unless you specifically clean it and I think if its not clean it will inhibit healing.
Dawn wrote:I never got an infection and it's been 8 months since my surgery

LOL it would be hard to get an infection from your own germs :p
But seriously the bacteria it can harbour would probably just cause irritation and itching, I just dont think the area can be considered clean if something is in between the tear such as vaseline, which is why I wouldnt use it other than before a BM, and if your digestion is normal you technically shouldnt need the vaseline.
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby StevePain » 04 Jul 2011, 07:22

I used Petroleum Jelly quite regular but just lately I've stopped altogether, I just clean the area with soft toilet paper or cotton wool balls dipped in warm water and find that this is the best way.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 04 Jul 2011, 09:24

I have too Steve. By reading most of the post in here, a lot of other people do too. I also use A&D ointment at times. Neither have caused an itch.
I guess it depends on the CRS... I think the problem is, if your wound closes up with bacteria from poop, then you will have a problem. That's probably why my CRS waited until she checked me 4 weeks after surgery before I could use it?! I assume the wound was closed up.
If bacteria out of our own poop doesn't cause infection, then how do people get abscess and fistulas? Could someone tell me that?

Postby Guest » 04 Jul 2011, 09:31

I'd like to add:
I wouldn't think vaseline, A&D ointment would be any different then putting one of the fissure ointments such as diltiazem on the butt. It feels just like a vaseline base.
Also they both have been used for diaper rash and to prevent chaffing?!!

Postby val » 04 Jul 2011, 10:51

Rectogesic looks a lot like vaseline and that is prescribed for fissures!
And I am OCD about cleanliness, and still managed to get 2 abcesses and 2 fistulas! I have 2 showers each day, shower after each bm and soak in a savlon sitz bath about 5 times a day. I'm not sure that cleanliness is the issue!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 04 Jul 2011, 12:08

I'm not sure either Val. Hope things are going well for you!:)
I found some links. Maybe they will be helpful to someone. I also read my diltiazem had Paraffin in it which I believe is in vaseline also.
http://www.fascrs.org/patients/conditions/anal_abscess_fistula/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_jelly