Constant muscle or sphincter tightness?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Constant muscle or sphincter tightness?

Postby KessyWessy » 10 Aug 2011, 08:43

OK -heres my background.
I gave birth nearly 5 months ago, and I had a 2nd degree tear(meaning some muscle was torn) and hemmerhoids to beat the band. My tear went all the way back and I think was touching an external hemmerhoid.
Got over that, then I got constipated and wound up with an anal fissure about a month ago. I get constant knotting of the muscle around my anus, and maybe between the vagina and anus. It cleared up on its own after a week or so but then started getting bad again 2 weeks ago so I went to the dr. She said it was an anal fissure and prescribed laxatives (gentle, softening ones-Lax-a day) and lots of water.
I went back to see another dr yesterday and he said it looks like its healing and also gave me nitroglycerin and lidocaine.
But sweet jesus the pain! The muscles in that area are in constant knots. It doesn't seem to hurt more or less when I have a bowel movement, but the constant muscle or perhaps sphincter tightness is killing me. It feels like theres an egg under my skin, right next to my anus. I've been applying heat, taking baths as I can, taking ibuprofin. I started taking robaxacet yesterday in hopes of relaxing the muscle but it only seems to help when its robaxacet (made with ibuprofin) plus another 400mg of ibuprofin.
Help! What else can I do?? Will I ever get better? I've been getting slowly worse with that muscle thing for 2 weeks!
KessyWessy

Topics: 3

I feel your pain!

Postby kristiblue » 10 Aug 2011, 08:59

I also feel that "egg like" pressure and pain. Very knotted muscle and am now trying the nitro cream.but wow what a headache it causes.
kristiblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: Constant muscle or sphincter tightness?

Postby Guest » 10 Aug 2011, 09:05

Hey Jodi. Welcome to the forum! I'm so sorry to hear what you have been through since the birth of your baby. It really sucks that this had to happen. My heart goes out to you.
The tightness you are describing sounds like spasms. It's good that you got the Nitro. That will help some along with the warm baths. Taking the baths 3 or more times a day for about 20 minutes and keeping them warm can help with the spasms and relax the sphincter which allows blood flow that hopefully will promote healing. Everything you are already doing is about all that can be done...
Fissures take 6-8 weeks to heal so it's imperative to keep up the diet, stool softeners, etc for a long time even if you feel healed.
I had the golf ball in your butt feeling too. It was horrible.

Postby Guest » 10 Aug 2011, 09:07

PS... Jodi- If all else fails, there's always the surgery. I did all I could and in the end had LIS. It will get better.... Image

Postby magnesiumman » 10 Aug 2011, 10:02

You may be deficient in magnesium. Magnesium relaxes muscles and calcium hardens them. Your doctor wont tell you this.. but 400mg of Magnesium if absorbed right will cure the spasms.. If it is not absorbed then maybe a food allergy is causing your intestines not to take in the magnesium.
Check with your doctor.
magnesiumman

Postby IMPERFECTASSHOLE » 10 Aug 2011, 13:33

Boy do I feel your pain---Your story was mine 27 yrs ago---I did heal but still have flare ups with Hems & fissure. HOT baths with Epsom Salt is soothing & healing. I'm using a cream to relax the muscle ( I think its diltiazam?) TOTALLY HELPS!! I wish you a pain free day!!
IMPERFECTASSHOLE
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Sue27uk » 11 Aug 2011, 06:32

I also have tightness, particularly between my vagina and anus. No one seems to know what else it can be and I have had lots of scans all showing nothing. So it must be linked to the fissure! I also have pain in my cheeks and had the golf ball feeling. It had gone until I tried to drive the other day and it's come back. I hope you manage to feel better soon. The baths do definitely help, unfortunately I can't do that due to chronic thrush (can't get rid of it, had it for 4 months!). Just a note, be careful with the magnesium, have a small amount to start with. I tried it and it disagreed with me - oooh that was an interesting few days!! Haven't taken it since, may help you though. Hope you feel better soon :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21