Colostomy bag until fissure heals?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Colostomy bag until fissure heals?

Postby owwwwww » 12 Aug 2011, 22:00

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting a colostomy bag until their fissure heals? I was just wondering about that option. Talked to a few people who had other issues, and they got a colostomy bag until their bottoms healed up. My fissure was doing pretty well with the Botox injections until I had a colonoscopy, and now I am in misery again. I have been diagnosed for 12 years with Crohn's Disease, and now this colonoscopy shows microscopic colitis or Collagenous Colitis. For this problem, the doctor has given me Entocort. He thinks it will help my diarrhea right away. Well, maybe, but then what? If I have a harder stool, Mr. Fissure screams (oh wait, that's me screaming...). This totally sucks. I feel like I am never, ever going to heal, and I'm never, ever going to be able to eat normally. That's why I'm actually thinking a colostomy bag would be better. You could eat whatever you wanted then, and your ars wouldn't hurt!
owwwwww
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Colostomy bag until fissure heals?

Postby Deleted User 579 » 13 Aug 2011, 09:40

Hi Owww - you sure are dealing with a helluva lot! I'm really sorry the colonoscopy messed up your fissure and that it found colitis. Image
I have not read any case on this forum where someone had a colostomy bag, but I do believe there was one fellow, Lars, who was seriously considering it. Unfortunately, I don't think there were any updates after he reported that he was discussing that option with his doctors. Is this an option that you can raise with your doctors? I can definitely understand why you would want to do that. I think a few of us here wished we could get a colostomy bag until we got healed, even without Crohns to deal with!
I really hope the Endocort works, but without making your BMs too hard. Unfortunately, in my experience, diarrhea can irritate fissures too Image
I wonder if you would be able to take Miralax if the Endocort causes problems?
I really hope your doctors can give you some options. Living with a fissure is truly the hardest thing I've ever had to endure. You definitely have my heartfelt sympathy and I really hope you find some relief soon. Image
Deleted User 579

Postby of all the places to hurt » 13 Aug 2011, 17:01

Owwww well ur chosen name says it all! I to really feel for you! Did you know that there are colostomy's that can be reversed in a year!! You probably do know and I sound like a prize idiot lol. I only found that out the other week from my crs. With your Chron's it is probably appealing to you. I am due a colonoscopy in next couple of weeks and I am definately considering telling them where to go now!
Wishing you the right decision and good health Image
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Davo » 23 Jan 2012, 05:06

Dragging up an old post here but i just found out last night that my father had an AF about 15 years ago. He was in absolute agony so they gave him a temporary colostomy bag which meant he did not use the toilet in about two months!
Anyway this was more than enough to heal and after two months his life just went back to normal and he has not had any problems since then even though he has a terrible diet!
Dont think i would even consider that option though!
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby BillUltra » 16 Apr 2012, 16:53

As I posted elsewhere, unless you have some real problems you need to address I would definitely NOT get a colonoscopy. I had my first one 3-1/2 years ago, no problems except 3 benign polyps which he removed. Then I had my fissure repaired with a LIS which worked great. Because of the polyps I was recommended to have colonoscopies every 3 years. I just had my second colonoscopy, where the doctor removed a polyp in my rectum. It turned out to be benign, of course, but has since morphed into the mother of all fissures and is now controlling every aspect of my life with pain and fear of BM's. Having this procedure was easily the worst mistake of my life.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19