After fissure (advance flap) abcess and hemorrhoidectomy

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

After fissure (advance flap) abcess and hemorrhoidectomy

Postby rosebud » 07 Oct 2011, 21:36

Hi, I am new here and feel so relieved to know there is help somewhere. My surgeon was great but follow-up instructions eating wise etc. were weak. I am 16 days out and although it has been hell, I am making it. I had a minor complication in that I had to wear a catheter for about 5 days as I was unable to urinate. I also had a reaction to the topical and broke out in hives. I have a couple of questions: Is a yellow pus like discharge normal 16 days out after surgery? It is not excessive but noticed while in the sitz bath. Some itching that at times drives me crazy and is ok at other times. Most importantly I see my surgeon for another post op visit on Tuesday again. She says I am healing on schedule and she anticipates me heading back to work very soon. This scares me to death and I want to request Wed - Friday off with a doctor's note but fear sounding like a sissy. I still have trouble sitting for extended periods of time and bowel movements are still a challenge and painful. Getting better but it is slow. I feel like the three days combined with the weekend will allow me the additional time to heal and prepare. Do you think this is asking too much of the surgeon? I want to feel confident about bowel movements and I am still adjusting to the reduction in senekot, fearing repercussions. Have any of you felt nervous about asking your doctor for more time off from work when they act as though I am on schedule and healing quite well. She is wonderful and may not have an issue but for some reason I am balking and worried about sounding like a wimp. Although I am healing, this has been pure hell and I want to feel as good as I can before sitting for 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week at my desk at work. Thanks so much for everything and for sharing if you feel you can. Rosebud xo
rosebud
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: After fissure (advance flap) abcess and hemorrhoidectomy

Postby Rosa M » 07 Oct 2011, 21:57

Hi Rosebud, In my opinion if you feel you need more time or just that it would do you good, I think you should ask for it. Don't worry about what the dr thinks of your asking. If you are in a position where you can take a few more days off work, I say go for it. This healing process is more than just physical, with anal problems. So if is going to benefit you mentally, it may also benefit you physically.
Rosa M
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby rosebud » 08 Oct 2011, 13:00

Hi Rosa, So grateful to hear from you. I'm in the Northeast too. Your support and kind words gives me hope and it helps to know that someone understands about the emotional side of this thing. I have had children and other surgeries but this surgery surpasses the pain of any and ALL of these things by leaps and bounds. My doctor said the fissure was big enough to drive a semi through it but that the skin grafting (advance flap) seems to be working. I am so terrified that I might do something to cause it to happen again. I saw your nick name "fibre addict" and smiled because that was the was my first chosen name to use when signing up to the site. I am so scared to eat but know I have to eat regularly so I take Metamucil three times a day, eat fruit and vegetables, oatmeal and high fiber english muffins along with some angel hair pasta (my way of whooping it up now). I hope I never forget the pain of this surgery and it serves to remind me forever to eat fiber and make sure to drink lots of water. Are you changed forever after your surgery? Thank you for sharing and I will tell my doctor when I see her next week. Thanks SO much!
rosebud
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Rosa M » 08 Oct 2011, 13:43

Do you want to hear a funny coincidence? My nickname is Rosebud. A very good friend of mine called me that a very long time ago and it just kind of stuck lol Anyway it's so good that you found this site
There is soooo much info here. Look around. Everyone here can relate to what you're going through and many have lots of experience and knowledge to share. Eating regularly, a good healthy diet as you are, is important so that your body has the vitamins and nutrients to continue to heal. Although you've had a rough time of it, it sounds like you are on the right path! Keep up the good work. My LIS was 10 days ago. I have been coming along although it is a difficult process for sure. After the surgery the fissure pain subsided and most of the pain was on my left side which is the incision site. BMs still painful but not like they were before the surgery. My fissure made BMs excruciating!! I felt a setback yesterday with my BM that aggravated or maybe opened up the fissure again plus it felt like the incision may have also opened because it hurt more and has been bleeding more also. So now i am really taking it easy again. I wish you all the best in your recovery.
Rosa M
Salt Bather

Topics: 5