SELF-DILATION

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

SELF-DILATION

Postby workingonit » 20 Jan 2012, 19:50

hey There,

So I was perusing the Yahoo group "anal fissures" and came across a whole bunch of old messages about self dilation using anal dilator kits.

Anyways, it seems some people have found this to work, but they have to keep it up every so often as a 'maintenance' thing.

Anyone here tried this or know of anyone who has?

-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Re: self dilation

Postby Guest » 20 Jan 2012, 20:14

yup... In some countries in Europe patients are sent home with dilators to treat chronic fissures.

If you try vaginal onesjust be careful because they are much longer than the rectal ones. But yes, they make them in smaller sizes so it could be a useful starting point. I've been thinking about trying this out myself!

Postby reckless » 21 Jan 2012, 04:24

Where can you get these kits from?
reckless
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby workingonit » 21 Jan 2012, 10:48

I looked at a kit on Amazon.com called the "ease-in anal dilator kit" $37, but they don't deliver to Canada. If I decide to go this route I will probably have to order from some embarrassing website like 'extreme restraints'.
There was also a book I saw for kindle called 'the secret of the anal gape' and how to relax your sphincter.
Never thought I'd be looking into this stuff, but I don't want to live the rest of my life on nifedipine and metamucil. ...Well I probably will do the metamucil forever.
I got looking into this by accident, but it seems that the only docs that do the SAD (standardized anal dilation) treatment are in NY.
I read on another website where a lady touches her anus to kind of calm it down when she has to go in a public restroom. She says, the possibility of getting poop on her hand is far less worrisome than ripping a new one. I would tend to agree but have not tried this yet.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby Guest » 21 Jan 2012, 11:02

Woi..
If you google the term Dilatan cryothermal dilators you will find a company called CMT Medical that sells them in 3 kits.
The dilators at vaginismus . com are also very similar in shape if you want to look at those.
And yes, touching and gently massaging the sphincter before going to the bathroom helps to relax a lot. I carry nitrile gloves that I've cut off the fingers to in a baggy in my purse. It's more comfortable to have a gloved finger when touching such a sore area. I buy boxes of the gloves and just cut the fingers off the so that I have 4 finger cots from each glove. You can buy finger cots already made but that tends to get pricey when you use as many of them as I do.

Postby workingonit » 21 Jan 2012, 15:40

I know what you mean Jr.
It is very unclear in the video but if I make it full screen it looks like y I haven't our finger(s?) go just before the anus and not actually on the edge.
Somedays I can't do the kegels either, or only just a little bit.
I found some yoga poses that are recommended for anal fissures, but haven't tried them yet;
Pawanmuktasana
uttansana
ashwini mudra
prasarita padottanasana
I've just been doing my regular stretches when I can, but I think I will look into these next week.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby reckless » 21 Jan 2012, 17:14

I don't think kegels are a good idea if you have a fissure. You want relax the sphincter not tighten it further.
I think I may consider buying these dilators. I really feel tight down there.
reckless
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby workingonit » 21 Jan 2012, 19:49

perhaps you are right reckless,
I do feel more sore this evening. But walking does seem to help. Perhaps kegels are too direct for now.
I did find a couple websites directed at women who had postpartum fissures. They suggested kegels while in a sitz bath to help. I think I will hold off on doing them for now.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby workingonit » 23 Jan 2012, 10:28

you know, even just my regular stretches this morning aggravated my af, so I think I will put off the yoga for a while. I'll just have to hope I don't pull a muscle walking.
patience, patience, patience
Jr.
I was remembering putting my finger just before my anus years back when I used to get a bit constipated and I could feel the BM was going to be too big, so I pressed the edge of my anus to keep it from being torn. It just seemed like a reflex thing to do.
But it doesn't seem to work once you are already torn. I tried the other day and I felt worse after, but then luckilly I didn't have a second bm that day so things bounced right back and no serious damage was done.
So I don't know if I will try that again. Could be it was on the wrong side of the week spot. But I think I will wait a week rather than chance it. I haven't had blood in over a week now (touch wood).
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby Guest » 23 Jan 2012, 10:44

Woi...
Yeah, I kind of had a similar experience with putting pressure, which while it helped with the stretching aspect it felt like there was more scraping. I had a horrible day yesterday with multiple trips to the bathroom ... Ugh... So glad to hear you don't feel too much damage was done.
As far as stretches, I'm really careful about which ones I do so as not to aggravate things so I understand that too. I so miss taking long walks. Unfortunately the friction of walking is just too painful on my fissures unless I walk like a duck and waddle, which does horrible things to my back and hips. I'm so glad to hear you arevable to walk. Good for circulation and healing and to expel anxious energy about fissures!
Big Yay for your progress ... No blood in a week... Keep it going!!