Can't Sleep... + Cleanliness

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Can't Sleep... + Cleanliness

Postby mashmash » 24 Nov 2012, 11:00

Hey everyone.
New here. I've been dealing with an AF since Monday, so not very long. My first one... I've had IBS for more than 15 years (I'm 27 now) and I was dealing with some constipation before the AF occurred. It's probably what caused it. I saw a doctor yesterday (who also happens to be a friend of mine.) He says my AF is small and should heal pretty fast. He didn't prescribe me anything because he feels that it's not necessary. Now, as you all know the pain in unbearable and I haven't really left my house aside from running a few errands nearby. I am feeling quite down and nervous about it, especially after reading more about it and realizing that it could take a while for it to heal...
Last night, I didn't sleep at all. I had a BM a couple of hours before I was in bed. Every time that I was about to doze off into actual sleep, I would get a spasm and I'd be up again. This went on all night. I took a melatonin (which I never take) and it didn't help. The pain from the spasms just didn't let me sleep. The spasms happen when I am so close to sleeping. It's very strange...
Have any of you ever dealt with any of this? I barely slept the night before from pain, but last night I was actually tired but couldn't sleep due to the spasms... I don't know how many nights I can go without sleeping. I'm sure that doesn't help with the healing. Will an actual sleeping pill do it for me?
Also, I have a couple of questions about cleanliness. What do you guys use to keep it clean down there after a BM? Do you moisturize with an ointment every time as well? And lastly, my doctor friend told me to use Desitin or A+D... Any luck any of them?
I've learned a great deal from this place already. Thank you!
mashmash

Topics: 1

Re: Can't Sleep... + Cleanliness

Postby jr2 » 24 Nov 2012, 12:07

mashmash,
If the spasms are that severe you might want to consider asking for a topical prescription for nifedipine or diltiazem to help get those spasms under control and help your fissure to heal. Since it is in the early stages you will have a better chnce of preventing it from becoming chronic if you treat it now. The topical medication can also give you greater pain relief and therefore help you sleep. The spasming of the muscle is what s thought to contribute to a delay in healing.
Soft bowel movements that are easy to pass without straining are essential. Most people need a stool softener to achieve this. Miralax is one that most people here favor.
Keeping the area clean. I always use eiter A&D or Vaseline before a BM and then I use moistened toilet tissue (blotting, never wiping) and then some pure aloe vera gel to make sure everything is very clean. A sitz bath after a BM can also help clean the area as well as help the muscle relax from its spasms.
There are a lot of helpful tips on this forum, so you've definitely landed in the right place.
Wishing you speedy healing!
jr2

Topics: 15