Tried Diltiazem and now blisters too?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Tried Diltiazem and now blisters too?

Postby cjinneed » 12 Mar 2013, 21:50

Hi... Been dealing with this for maybe 18 months. Only recently found you guys, though, and my first time posting here. Long (and painful, of course) story short: really started treating this 13 months ago after seeing a doctor and getting told what I was dealing with and given the nitro. After maybe 3 months, things seemed a lot better and I continued being good in staying on top of things for a bit longer. Then I kind of just got back to not thinking about it. Occasionally something seemed not quite right down there but it was far from a problem.
About two months ago something went bad, really bad, and I was headed right back to where I started (probably shouldn't share my metaphor for the feeling yet.) I tried dealing with by returning to good behavior and using the nitro I had left, but that didn't work out and I went back to the doctor 10 days ago. I was running out of nitro anyway.
He was all like "what happened you had a mostly healed fissure last time you were here" (last May) and I was all like "yeah that was then." He switched me up to Diltiazem and it did seem to be working a little better... Until something painful bubbled up in the exterior anal area after a few days. I'm describing it like a blister, looks whitish. At first I thought it was just random, and it did start to go down a bit after I tried to use q-tips to get the cream only inside but a few days later there was another and then another.
So tonight Im stopping that stuff. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Something to worry about for the long term (ie will these suckers go away soon?)
On a related/unrelated note... I'm also one of the (I think) few who've had terrible experiences, twice, with the nitro causing uncontrollable shivering for hours. Believe it somehow got into my bloodstream from applying while things were too raw right after a BM.
cjinneed

Topics: 1

Re: Tried Diltiazem and now blisters too?

Postby coconut » 13 Mar 2013, 07:11

Yes, what you are describing sounds typical of people who develop a sensitivity to diltiazin. The good news is that many people who have that reaction do just fine on nifedipine. Its another drug in the same catagory that doesn't cause skin reactions in as many people.
As for the nitro getting into your blood stream - I don't know about that, but I do know that some of it enters your blood stream normally, through healthy skin. That's why it causes your muscles down there to relax and why it causes headaches in so many people. A lot of stuff enters your body through the skin, that's why you should always wear gloves when applying this stuff. You don't want an extra dose through your finger. (unless you plan on treating that nasty finger fissure once and for all! brahahaha.)
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: Tried Diltiazem and now blisters too?

Postby marg6043 » 13 Mar 2013, 13:02

cjinneedyou are not alone, I developed a rash while on nitro and because it was working on my fissure to alleviate the spams I endure the rash as long as I could until I also started to blister at that point I just stopped the nitro and the blisters went away and the area just peeled off after the blisters dry out.
It took me 4 months of nitro for me to get to this point.
By that time I already had tried many other ways to make the fissure more comfortable as with verything Trial and error is been my motto.
Now, is a good idea if you tell your doctor of the side effect you are having, some side effects are expected but others can be dangerous to you.
Take care of yourself and call your doctor.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8