How many times a day do you poop?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How many times a day do you poop?

Postby Luka » 02 Jul 2013, 14:58

I go about 2-3 times each day in the morning, sometimes 4 (especially when it’s that time of the month for me when my stools are looser). It seems like I use the bathroom a lot even though I don’t eat much food. : ( I don’t think I’m eating too much fiber. I’m just not sure why I have to go so much and I’m sure going so much aggravates the fissure, although I never have pain during bowel movements except an occasional weird twinge or soreness. If I have any fissure pain, it usually occurs a couple of hours after the BMs. My stools are normal (not constipated and not diarrhea), but are loose and easy to pass most of the time. I’ve never had any bleeding my entire life (even with the fissure).
I’m just curious how it is for the rest of you. Sometimes I think I might have a problem/disease going on, which really freaks me out. I really need to stop looking up diseases online (I can be a hypochondriac sometimes). But from what I’ve read online and elsewhere, bowel movements (number of times a day or week) vary a lot among people and it's normal.
I just get tired of going so much sometimes and wish I was a once-a-day person. I just want my fissure to heal fully and I'm worried this many BMs will prevent that. : ( If I eat any less food, I'll lose even more weight and I don't want that.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Re: How many times a day do you poop?

Postby galamat » 02 Jul 2013, 15:10

Hi Luka,
Do you have pain in your lower abdomen before you have a BM, or any other problem like a lot of gas?
Maybe it is just that you feel very anxious. You are so lucky to be able to have a BM without pain! waoo. And no bleeding? gash I wish I could be you.
galamat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Ever the Optimist » 02 Jul 2013, 15:15

Hi Luka,
This is a really interesting question because I always wonder also what is the norm, although I read there is no "norm" - some people do go several times a day, others a few times a week and not every day.
I generally go twice (always once first thing when I get up) and then the second between mid-morning to early evening. I never seem to go at night. Sometimes, I go three times a day and sometimes, once, but generally twice.
I do notice that the pattern really depends on what I eat and when! Stuff that gives me the mushy soft stools (lots of salad/ veggies/ beans) gives me 2-3 BMs a day. When I add in more fibre or meats & (bread/ pasta etc.) I go less - it seems the "bulkier" the stuff I eat, the less I need to go because these stools are generally larger and better formed (but still soft!!) than with the "mushier" foods above.
At the weekends, my pattern changes because I get up later, go to the toilet later, eat breakfast later etc....then I have fewer BM's......
Be really interested in reading other responses to this one!
I'm sure you don't have any nasty diseases (stop self-diagnosing!!!:) ) but it could also be related to your intake of soluble v insoluble fibre - I'm wondering if possibly you would benefit from introducing more soluble fibre?
"Soluble fiber dissolves in water. Insoluble fiber does not.
Soluble fibers attract water and form a gel, which [b]slows down digestion. Soluble fiber delays the emptying of your stomach and makes you feel full, which helps control weight.[/b] Slower stomach emptying may also affect blood sugar levels and have a beneficial effect on insulin sensitivity, which may help control diabetes. Soluble fibers can also help lower LDL (“bad”) blood cholesterol by interfering with the absorption of dietary cholesterol.
Sources of soluble fiber: oatmeal, oat cereal, lentils, apples, oranges, pears, oat bran, strawberries, nuts, flaxseeds, beans, dried peas, blueberries, psyllium, cucumbers, celery, and carrots.
Insoluble fibers are considered gut-healthy fiber because they have a laxative effect and add bulk to the diet, helping prevent constipation. These fibers do not dissolve in water, so they pass through the gastrointestinal tract relatively intact, and speed up the passage of food and waste through your gut. Insoluble fibers are mainly found in whole grains and vegetables.
Sources of insoluble fiber: whole wheat, whole grains, wheat bran, corn bran, seeds, nuts, barley, couscous, brown rice, bulgur, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables, raisins, grapes, fruit, and root vegetable skins.
Maybe this is something for you to consider if you haven't already done so??? :)
Anxiety may also make you more prone to going more often????
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Luka » 02 Jul 2013, 15:16

galamat - No, no pain before I have a BM. I get the urge to go, but not a painful urge (like I have diarrhea or something). I do get gas (my family seems to have a huge problem with being very gassy, haha), but mainly it's due to being nervous or eating something that causes a lot of gas (lots of broccoli, beans, or fruit).
I don't have pain when I have a BM or bleeding, but I still get fissure pain afterward sometimes. I know it's good that I'm going and don't have problems using the bathroom, but I just get tired of going so much and it really worries me because my fissure is still healing.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Luka
VIP

Postby Luka » 02 Jul 2013, 15:30

Ever the Optimist - Thanks for the comments. : ) I am a very anxious person that gets stressed super easily, so that's probably a big part of my problem. I also have an issue with Shy Bowel Disorder (not being able to poop in public restrooms, friends' houses, near other people, etc.), so I get super anxious about pooping EVERYTHING out in the morning before I leave somewhere so I don't have the urge to go to the bathroom when I'm somewhere uncomfortable and might strain the rest of the day to get it out. If I don't feel like I've gone to the bathroom enough, I won't leave the house yet. Having this fissure issue has definitely made all that worse for me. : ( It scares me a lot to have a re-tear.
It does seem like I pooped less when I was eating a worse diet pre-fissure (fried food, fast food, more white bread, cookies, sweets, etc.). Now I really watch what I eat. I eat veggies, fruits (mainly pears and prunes), and some bread each day, as well as some meat (grilled or baked chicken or fish). I also love salad.
I do tend to eat things that have wheat in them (Nutrigrain waffles, cereal bars, muffins, crackers, breads, etc.). Maybe I'm slightly gluten-sensitive and eating too much? Is going a lot a symptom of that? Wheat is insoluble fiber, right? Hmmmmm... that might be an issue for me.
Reading what you wrote, I probably need more soluble fiber in my diet and less insoluble, so I'll give that a shot. It's really hard to find the right balance, though, since most veggies/fruits/grains have both forms of fiber in them. I've been experimenting with foods ever since this problem developed and I still seem to go a lot.
Luka
VIP

Postby Guest » 02 Jul 2013, 15:44

Hi Luka  
good to see your hanging tough.
Sounds like a good time to take a step back down memories lane. Have you always had to go in that current routine even before your fissures? Like you say, BM can vary quite widely from person to person so you have to determine is your current routine something you basically always had, (since your very first monthly cycle started or even before).
Yeah, to change from going 4 times a day to just once a day with the way your saying you dont eat much or with weight worries is a very tall order as you know.
I know for me on the days when I say to myself, wow I just had a BM, why am I going again, thats when I can generally trace it to either eating at odder times than I normally do. Or to taking in natural lax's (certain juices) that I know just empties me out sooner than I like. (generally Its one to twice a day for me, three to four with the aforementioned.)
Are you on any otc lax's. Keep brainstorming and you will come to some smart conclusion. Yeah, the web can get you thinking you may have everything under the sun wrong with you.
Do not give your fissures any inch of stress to smile over or even your BM's can be affected by too much worrying right.
HTH gL
Last edited by Guest on 02 Jul 2013, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Luka » 02 Jul 2013, 15:57

buttastic - Thanks. : ) I've always been a morning person my whole life when it comes to BMs (I rarely ever go the rest of the day, unless I'm sick or ate something weird). I did notice I went to the bathroom less when I ate fried food and fast food (pre-fissure). Now I mainly eat lots of grains, veggies, and fruits (with some chicken or fish at dinner time).
No, I don't take any OTC laxatives, stools softeners, or fiber supplements. I considered them at one time when my fissure first started, but I rarely have constipation, so I don't really need them. They'd just make me go more, anyway, which I definitely don't want!
I still think a big problem with me is nerves. Since I have Shy Bowel Disorder, I get so consumed with emptying myself out in the morning so I don't have to go the rest of the day somewhere I'd be uncomfortable going (and that would just cause me to strain). This is why I don't travel or stay in hotels; I always try to stay close to home in the mornings. The fissure has just made all of that worse because of my constant worrying about tearing it open again. : (
Luka
VIP

Postby Guest » 02 Jul 2013, 16:02

Forgot you mentioned that before, now I remember. There you go, that could be it.
Now all you need to do is to find a way to beat your Shy bowel right. I wonder whats out there, I'm sure you looked before.
GL to you.

Postby Please go-away! » 02 Jul 2013, 16:48

Very interesting question, for me I have a , most of the time smooth BM about an hour and a half after breakfast, and then that's it, until tomorrow, Just about always gas, not painful..IBS.
a little blood twice a month, painless BM, yet spasm"s (some pain to a scale of 2 to 3, can be manageable, increasing later for about three hours or more.   For me Luka  if I eat fried foods, its out of me in seconds because of my IBS. If I eat a bag of chips, well of course can't now, whowww nelly, diarea city..lol.I know how you feel luka, I'm happy with going in the morning, for now.
Yes try increasing your soluble , and or placing it before you eat your insoluble . worked for me.:D It worked for me and I will tell you why, by eating a soluble food item about 20 minutes before the rest of your insoluble foods, prevents that first stool (or plug, tightness feeling)from getting stuck, and then the rest just comes out, now if I can just stop the spasms from starting about a few hours after a BM...Mind you, today I had no spasms for the first time , just sore ,some piles and gas, no pain..NO PAIN CANT COMPLAIN..Image 
LUv ya all..lets all heal..Image
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby Luka » 02 Jul 2013, 23:16

buttastic - Thank you. I've researched Shy Bowel Disorder online and unfortunately there isn't much available to help. Since it's a psychological problem and not really a physical issue, cognitive therapy seems to be the main way to help people with it. It's something I would try, but unfortunately the cost of a therapist at this point is not possible for me. I do take Prozac for depression and anxiety, but it doesn't help with the Shy Bowel issue. Apparently this is a really common problem for people, but most people won't discuss it because it's too embarrassing. And people who don't have the problem aren't very sympathetic and just don't get it (much like with fissures, sadly). It's very frustrating. : (
Please go-away! - Thank you for the advice. : ) I'll have to try increasing my soluble fiber, perhaps by eating more pears (love them!) and other fruits. That's a good idea about eating soluble fiber foods before insoluble fiber foods. I'll give that a shot and see if it helps.
Having no pain and just being a bit sore is definitely a good sign. : ) I wish you the best with your healing! Image 
Luka
VIP