help with itching and irritation

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

help with itching and irritation

Postby pattcook » 23 Nov 2013, 11:40

Hello- I,m new here and pleased I found this site. So far its been a great source of information. I have a chronic AF. Just found what a fissure is last week . I thought for the last couple of years I had a hemmoroid. I have met with a general surgeon and have Botox injections set in 2 weeks. Like most of us my problem came from hard stools. Adding fiber, fruits and veggies, Miralac and lots of water have got my stool at a 5-6 and my BM are not really painful. What is driving me nuts is the constant itch and pre-itch intense tingling. Especially at nite. I take sitz baths constantly and apply Dibutaine but I only get relief or partial relief for a few hours. I have tried lidocaine cream and the dibutaine gel seems better. I use vitamin E oil also. The irritation and itch seems to always persist. Can anyone reccommend what may have helped their itching so I can get some rest?- thanks John
pattcook
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: help with itching and irritation

Postby Scientist2516 » 24 Nov 2013, 22:41

You could try calmoseptine. You can get it from Amazon or ask your pharmacist to order it for you.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby richibeno » 25 Nov 2013, 11:25

hi ive been trying calmoseptine it seems ok but the menthol in it does cool the area lots like a cold burning sensation
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Stokholt » 25 Nov 2013, 14:04

Did anyone ever think of that constant moisture with creams, baths, ointments etc could create sensitive skin with itching? I've had problems with an AF for about a year now, doctors claim it to be healed but I still feel a bit swollen with really bad itching sometimes. Even with lidocaine cream I could wake up at night with a really unbearing itch, and I think it could be because you sweat a little at night time.
The last couple of days I have been trying the quite opposite than creams. I still do sitz baths, but when dry (sometimes use blowdryer also) I splash some babypowder on my behind. It's really not bad at all, and problems with itching has become a lot better. Don't now how it will work out in the long run, but seems promissing at the time. Clean and dry is what seems to work for me right now.
Stokholt

Postby Scientist2516 » 25 Nov 2013, 15:04

Definitely, Stokholt. That's a very good thought.
After using creams continuously for 5 months, my fissure was healed, but I was still using the nitro cream to be on the safe side. I did develop an itch, and the skin even oozed a bit, which of course made the moisture worse and more itchy.
I stopped using the nitro, and within a couple of days the itching stopped.

Different people will have different responses to the creams and moisture. I was lucky that I healed and could give up the cream.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby pattcook » 25 Nov 2013, 21:38

The calmoseptine at first is soothing but then it seems to exasberate the need to itch. I agree that I think too much ointments and creams seem to increase irratation. So far for me a sitz bath with a small amount of dibutaine is the best I have been able to find for relief.
pattcook
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Canadahell1 » 28 Nov 2013, 14:35

doc gave me Cortizone 1% just second day now, avoid menthol at all costs!!!!!!!!!!!Burn-baby-burn!!
Canadahell1
Salt Bather

Topics: 15

Postby Ever the Optimist » 28 Nov 2013, 15:21

Hi,
I agree it's never a good idea to become reliant on one thing as you can develop an adverse reaction later on in time.
I found what worked for me was alternating different treatments, so Coconut Oil (which I find intensely relieving) then natural Aloe Vera/ Sudocrem/ Vit E creams/ heat & at sorer moments, Lidocaine (but used only when necessary).......:)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again