Has anyone had a fissure truly heal w/o surgery?

Will I have this issue the rest of my life?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Has anyone had a fissure truly heal w/o surgery?

Postby Newmommy28 » 01 Feb 2014, 11:09

Serious question here: do fissures truly ever heal without surgical intervention? I know that some people get fissures that heal after a couple days on their own (I'm assuming these just aren't very deep to begin with). But what about the people, such as myself, who get one and it's still there four months later? As of right now the doc says mine is still acute, as there is no scar tissue there (yet) but it is deep enough to where you can actually see the muscle. But after several months of setbacks/healing, and then more setbacks, when is it time to bite the bullet? How do you know if you'll ever heal without surgery? In my mind months seems like a long time, but after reading on this forum about people who've had them for YEARS... I cannot imagine!

So getting back to my point, has anyone really had a fissure heal on it's own after four or six months? And if so, how is your bottom now? Are you treading on egg shells after each bowel movement, praying you don't have a retear? And drinking Miralax the rest of your life? That just doesn't sound like the life to me. Is it better to just have surgery? Or are the odds pretty much exactly the same?

I'm tired of suffering, but each time I put off surgery I worry that I will continually retear causing things to go chronic, which from what I gather on here, makes it harder to correct. Any advice?
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: Has anyone had a fissure truly heal w/o surgery?

Postby Scientist2516 » 01 Feb 2014, 20:20

Hi Newmommy, this is a difficult question to answer, because it's easy to think you've healed, only to retear months later. So I think the eggshell feeling may never go away. This can be true for people who've had LIS though.
Sorry, I don't mean to be discouraging. I know some people have healed completely and fully - they don't tend to stick around here though, so you may not get answers from them.
I'll just tell you that I had a non-healing fissure for about 4 months, and when I switched medications, healing started right away. It still took a long time (a few weeks), but now I only have occasional pain and soreness. Nothing like an active fissure - no spasms, no nights of pain. So I count myself healed, in spite of taking so long to find an effective treatment.
I hope that gives you some hope.
But just the fact that I still have the occasional pain and soreness means I am always aware that I could tear again. It's good in a way because I'm reminded to keep drinking and eating the right foods.

You can read my story here: a-one-person-experiment-on-af-drugs-t7231.html
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Re: Has anyone had a fissure truly heal w/o surgery?

Postby Superfissure » 02 Feb 2014, 15:03

I think it might be possible if the cause was one off event(ie, severe constipation that had never been experience before or child birth), but for most I think it will be a reoccurring issue. It depends on the cause and I think if have had few tears then it's very likely to happen again, partly due to scar tissue. Maybe if someone can go for say over 2 years without an issue then it might be fine. I went over 18 months before had another tear. I saw/felt the warning signs and tried to manage it while it was minor.

From memory my first notable problem was caused during a jog/run. Second time was after another run. Now it can happen much more easily, and not exactly predictable either.

I went over 18 months and thought I was healed, had a bit of a different diet and stress after moving home then back it came :(. I'm currently just back in the 'safe zone' but if I retear anytime soon then I'm pushing for further investiation/LIS as this is a PITA, literally :)
Superfissure
Salt Bather

Topics: 4