What heals last

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

What heals last

Postby Apes » 26 Jun 2014, 14:33

On day 52 of Botox and things are really good. No BM pain, leading a pretty normal life. Still watching what I eat, taking fiber supplements and small dose of miralax. while I feel that the fissure is healed/healing, I still have discomfort. I have a external hemmy and what I think is a sentinel tag. I do not think the hemmy is causing the discomfort, the sentinel tag is still very sensitive to the touch and I believe causes most of the discomfort. Is the sentinel tag the last thing to heal? If so how long do you think it will take? I happy to be in this situation but just feel like I have plateaued.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Re: What heals last

Postby Scientist2516 » 26 Jun 2014, 16:03

Hi Apes,
I could have written this, last Oct/Nov: "while I feel that the fissure is healed/healing, I still have discomfort. I have a external hemmy and what I think is a sentinel tag."

Except in my case the external hemmie was painful.
The sentinel tag was not painful exactly, but I could not wear trousers for several weeks, because they would irritate the area. I had to wear skirts and leggings. Loose trousers were OK but jeans were hopeless.

I'm not sure when things improved exactly, but I was wearing jeans again by Christmas. I still have a little extra skin there, but it has shrunk and never gives me any bother (except I have to wipe carefully and thoroughly). The hemmie went away too, and has never come back.

I hope this helps you to believe that you'll be all better in the near future. It does sound as though you are making a great recovery. You are on the home stretch! You'll be OK.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Apes » 26 Jun 2014, 16:07

I can't tell you how much that helps. Tears in my eyes. irritate is a better word then discomfort. So thankful and glad you still stick around. I will do the same. I owe a lot to the people on this forum.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby Scientist2516 » 27 Jun 2014, 07:31

Apes, you are an asset to this forum. I've read your words of advice and comfort to many people. It will be great if you stick around.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Jbl22424 » 28 Jun 2014, 23:32

You both are a source of comfort for all of us! Apes, I can't provide any insight to your situation but it does sound like you are healing, congrats!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Worrier12345 » 30 Jun 2014, 04:14

Glad to hear you're doing well Apes. Do you have any blood at all?

I'm a bit behind you - about 40 days post botox. I'm still having blood for one or two days every week or so. Really disheartening. I've never had the excruciating pain that many on here have had, just discomfort and blood - so I really only have that to go on as to whether I'm healing or not.

I'm taking a sachet of Movicol every day, watching what I eat, drinking plenty of water, using GTN every day as well. But no matter how well everything seems to be going, after about a week or two of healing, I'll have a bowel movement where I can feel a slight rip, and then there's blood on wiping again.

I know my fissure isn't big or severe like others, but I thought botox would heal things. I suppose I can only carry on as I am for another 6 weeks or so (which I assume is when the botox will have run its course) and see if things are any better.

I don't think my surgeon is taking my case too seriously as I'm not in a lot of pain. I doubt that he'd do LIS on me - or whether I'd be a suitable candidate. Should I just expect to live with this for life?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Worrier12345
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Apes » 30 Jun 2014, 07:40

Like you said we have had different symptoms. My blood, i believe, was from internal hemmies before botox and either a skin tag or sentinel pile after. I have had a little blood throughout Botox, the latest was probably a week or so ago. Don't be discouraged, you may very well be healing. The discomfort and bleeding may be the last to heal. Since that was the major source of your symptoms it may just take longer. Could the blood be from something other then the fissure? I stopped using nifedipine after botox, I felt it didn't help before botox and it was irritating me. Do you think you still need to use GTN, does it seem to help?
Good luck and be patient.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby Worrier12345 » 30 Jun 2014, 08:02

Thanks for your swift reply Apes.

The blood is almost certainly from the fissure. My surgeon said that I do have piles also, but these seem to be located at the posterior, rather than the anterior where the fissure is located (and where the blood is coming from). I began using the GTN after my surgeon suggested it after my botox follow up a couple of weeks ago. He clearly didn't think that the botox was doing enough on its own.

I'm trying to be positive, but I really don't think much has changed since botox - I have a week or two or relative normality, then I have a BM where I feel that familiar scrape/sting, followed by blood, and swollen skin tag for a few days. It's been like this for over a year now. Except that now I'm about £1,600 worse off (after paying for botox privately) and I now take a sachet of Movicol every night.

I'm starting to think that it's just time that I accept that it will likely be like this forever as the botox, GTN, change in diet, change in BM postion/tactics just doesn't seem to have worked. The surgeon said he would be very reluctant to remove the skin tag (which causes discomfort when it swells), and I think that he considers my fissure to small to consider doing an LIS. Therefore, I should just carry on as I have been and accept the fact that it may always be like this - I may have to go through life with a small open wound in my anus. My pain levels are pretty low so perhaps I should just be grateful for that and try to not let it bother me.

I hope you are right, and that I still could be healing - but I guess the botox will be wearing off in the next month (?) - so unless things have healed up by then I doubt it will be getting better any time soon after.
Worrier12345
Salt Bather

Topics: 13