What happens in the botox procedure?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

What happens in the botox procedure?

Postby raf_c » 18 Aug 2014, 19:33

i've been reading about botox as one of the options for treating fissures and i'm wondering how it's done. is it done right there in the doctor's office or does it happen in the hospital? also is the patient awake for the procedure and is it painful? i've heard of beauticians using botox to weaken facial muscles and reduce wrinkles as well, but they usually do it right there in their offices in under 30 minutes or so.

i'm managing my fissure reasonably well so far, but if it tears open again, i don't think i'd be able to deal with the pain all over again and will probably opt for the botox procedure.
raf_c

Topics: 2

Re: What happens in the botox procedure?

Postby msimon » 18 Aug 2014, 22:00

Some go to the hospital but my Doc does it right there in his office with no anesthetic. He hits the muscle externally so no need to pry too much and flare things up. It really hurts for a few minutes but then it's okay. Can be sore for a couple of days after though. Do you have painful spasms? That's what it really targets.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Apes » 19 Aug 2014, 14:40

From my research I would recommend you it as out patient under anesthesia. The doctor will get a good look at the fissure and be able to clean it up if necessary. Also he will be able to inject it internally. I had three injections 2 on either side and in in the fissure. The Botox will spread out from the injection site but could also be blocked from spreading by the fissure or scar tissue.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby jlm1 » 19 Aug 2014, 21:11

Hey there, sorry you are suffering with this devil :( It's such a horrible, life changing injury. I had botox a bit over 3 weeks ago now, it will be 4 weeks this friday. I had 2 injections and my doc did it in her office. Two days before I was out under general anesthesia and the doc just took a look, identified a deep and significant fissure. She asked my family while I was under if they wanted her to just do the surgery but they decided to try botox first. So when I went back 2 days later for the botox injections, the doc knew exactly where the fissure was as she had a good visual from seeing it when I was under. I was very, very nervous about doing this in her office. I did take some valium before and this helped me a lot. I really tried to relax and breath. She gently inserted her finger, found the area and then cleaned it quickly with cotton, then did the 2 injections. It was like the flu shot in a way....burned a bit but was quick......then she did the other side and I did cry out a bit but then it was over. Honestly, it was much better than I thought it would be. Not that I want to have to do this again because, really, who the heck wants a shot there?! But if I had to do it again, I would. It's quick and then over. Now it has started to kick in and I am slowly starting to feel better. But it is SLOW!!! I saw doc 2weeks later, she said it was healing. I see her again Monday......but I am not sure I will let her look or not....depends on how I feel. She also gave me valium suppositories and I have found these to help with the spasms. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22