Study on mineral oil

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Study on mineral oil

Postby buttgirl » 16 Jan 2008, 17:45

i just came across this recent study on mineral oil for the treatment of chronic constipation. http://cpj.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/45/9/856
Here's the title incase the link doesn't work for you.
The Safety of Mineral Oil in the Treatment of Constipation—A Lesson from Prolonged Overdose Clinical Pediatrics, Vol. 45, No. 9, 856-858 (2006)
Basically the artcile states,
"Summary: There have been concerns regarding the interference in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins in long-term treatment with mineral oil; however, there is no clear evidence in the literature to support this claim. We present a case report illustrating the effect of prolonged (5 months) large doses of mineral oil on the fat-soluble vitamin absorption in a 17-year-old girl......Our case would support the position that even massive overdosage of mineral oil for a period as long as 5 months does not have any significant impact on vitamin ADEK levels in an adolescent. Taken together with previous studies results supports the safety of mineral oil in regular doses. This observation does not necessarily exclude the possibility that in smaller, rapidly growing children, a prolonged overdose of mineral oil might be detrimental."
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Re: Study on mineral oil

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Jan 2008, 17:52

That' very interesting, Chris. It would be very cool if they found that mineral oil was completely innocuous! I might even buy stock!
Deleted User 5

Postby buttgirl » 16 Jan 2008, 18:51

Hi Kim,
I have not been able to send out any pm messages today. They are stuck inmy outbox. Is this something you can fix?
Chris
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Fissulyna » 16 Jan 2008, 22:52

Thanks BG : ) for another great info !!! I liked my mineral oil when I was trying to heal my fissure "natural" way and I am sure it helped it heal first time around. If my first post-op does not show my fissure is closed , I will conceder trying it again !
BIG HUG !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby happyass » 17 Jan 2008, 01:15

i've never taken mineral oil so i can't comment so much on the effect for me in healing my fissure which is zero at least.
vote for hillary!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74