2x botox, 2x LIS and Fistulotomy Diary

Was:Interesting comment from the treating surgeon

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Interesting comment from the treating surgeon

Postby AnalFizz » 02 Oct 2017, 10:29

5 weeks. Past weekend was hard.
AnalFizz
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Mypoorbutt » 02 Oct 2017, 14:15

Hi AF,
I'm sorry your still suffering by weeks4/5 after my LIS I was seriously considering a colostomy as my only hope, but it does get better by week 8 the spasms had really slowed down and only came with my flares (crohns)
Don't give up hope my CRS said some people can be very tender in the area for up to a year after. If your fissure hasn't fully healed then you could always have another LIS or even a Botox. There is always another option, even when it doesn't feel like it.
I can really empathise with the utter frustration of a slow LIS recovery especially when 98% of people are back to normal in two weeks. Try not to let it get you down because the more frustrated and upset we get the tighter the IS becomes
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby AnalFizz » 03 Oct 2017, 00:11

ahh I wrote much more, but didn't register for some reason. Thanks for your comment, I'm trying to take it easy.

The discomfort/pain is not that bad to be honest but on Sunday I ended up crying on the bathroom floor due feeling so sorry for myself. 9 months of this is about enough in my opinion (I know there are people here who've had it longer, I feel so sorry for you). At least when I go BM at work, I have something else to try to concentrate on. In Finland most toilets have bidet showers but at work I need to use paper towels to dab myself dry. It irritates the area.

Current normal is that after initial BM, an annoying pressure builds and I need to go to toilet to pass gas and drop a small nodule of feces every half an hour to an hour. This happens 3-6 times before the discomfort eases.

Then when there is no discomfort I'm fully normal, although tired. Fall in Finland is dark and wet experience. I just started to use my light therapy lamp, two weeks too late, but it really helps in a week or so.

This board has been a lifesaver for tips and a great place to vent out.
AnalFizz
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 03 Oct 2017, 03:56

If I were you I would certainly mention the need to go back to the toilet repeatedly to your CRS as that sounds both painful and inconvenient. Perhaps the nerves down there are on hyper alert.
I wish bidets were more common here in the U.K as I hate using wet toilet roll so try and only have my BMs at home, which doesn't always work lol
Yes 9 months is a long time but your nearing the end of the journey....I always try and think "well at least I'm not rolling around on the floor sobbing in agony after a BM anymore"
I hope your CRS gives you some options or at the very least some advise.
I know exactly what you mean....I think I would have gone a bit insane without this board and it's lovely people
Mypoorbutt

Postby AnalFizz » 17 Oct 2017, 10:45

7+ weeks.

6th week was super easy, almost felt like everything was starting to heal up.
7th week came my business trip to UK and states. Probably due to different diet + added stress + sitting long periods in plane and workshops, the pressure started to build up again. I had the week end of in New York City and on Sunday after BM I went to central park and just sat on a bench for an hour in misery. Again no major pain just intense discomfort for something like 4 hours. I did walk awful lot during that weekend so maybe that was also contributing. Don't know, there never seems to be a straight correlation if 100% control of environment can't be achieved.

Now I'm back home in the dark and wet Finland hoping that normal life will bring back that 6th week feeling.
AnalFizz
Fibre Addict

Postby AnalFizz » 30 Oct 2017, 08:00

9 weeks.

Had an appointment with a surgeon at the hospital. Different surgeon that perfomed the LIS. Again totally horrible experience. First he tells me his name and asks at my last appointment. I said it was not an actual appointment but a telephone call. Then I try to discuss how it has been in the last weeks. Then he said go to the table. He checked, lubed and shoved the anoscope in. Said there is still a fissure there. Handed me towels to clean up. Sat back down on his desk and said that a new surgery is needed. then started to dictate his findings to a recorder, while I looked at him eyes round. After dictating, he just stared at me. At least the surgeon said that it's max 2 months waiting time after I asked.I tried to start a discussion about my tiredness of this issue and mental state and only thing he said was "well that's how it is". whole thing was 5mins total.

I'm left that I am again in the queue for LIS. So I'm now left hanging for next two months again.
AnalFizz
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 30 Oct 2017, 08:40

Oh no that's an awful experience to have to go through, it's not nice and I have had my fair share of CRS's that are at best indifferent and at worst down right rude....I once had one ask me if I was sure the clots and toilets full of blood were coming from my bottom and were not due to menstruation....I wanted to slap him round the head, wished he had been there at my colonoscopy when it was blatantly obvious where the blood was coming from.
I can't imagine how you are feeling about your op not working I'm not sure I would have the strength to go through it all again. You will get better and you will heal, unfortunately some people have to have a second LIS but I guess you are now at least on the waiting list and by next year will be on the road to recovery I'm sure
Are you still having spasms and if so can they not send you to a pain management appointment as no one should be expected to cope with that level of pain indefinitely, also could you ask for some counselling as again the level of pain and the daily impact is bound to have an effect.
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Postby AnalFizz » 30 Oct 2017, 11:38

Tkanks. No spasms. No bleeding in a month. Just general burning and discomfort after BM in the past two weeks with actual feeling of advancement in the condition. After morning's BM there was nothing, just poop and then nothing, in other words bliss. To be frank it felt that the scoping actually ripped the fissure. Maybe tomorrow would have been painful even without the exam, or maybe I was actually healing and it ripped again. That's the worst about this. I'll call tomorrow to the office and ask where to get a more holistic treatment of the condition, maybe private sector is the only way.
AnalFizz
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 30 Oct 2017, 11:55

I'm sure they don't need to scope every time you go surely that can't be helping anything. My best CRS never once used a scope or his finger just basically did a visual and occasionally had me cough or bear down like I was going to the toilet.
Hope you find someone to help soon
Mypoorbutt

Postby AnalFizz » 13 Nov 2017, 12:34

thanks Mpb, I do appreciate your support.

Two weeks since last post. Ups and downs now with last three days of The Tightening (by M. Night Shyamalan). Today been in and out of toilet for whole day with a growing tennis ball of tightness gripping the nether region. Been mentally in a much better place, which helps a lot. After taking Diazepam once at my lowest point couple weeks ago, I've felt much better mentally. Felt like that one pill was a key that opened a lock and haven't felt that bad after it. Almost scary how it affected me. It's also nice to know that there is again something to wait for, albeit there is no fixed date.
AnalFizz
Fibre Addict