Very good post-op pain control with Exparel

post-op pain

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Very good post-op pain control with Exparel

Postby dupa » 12 Oct 2017, 10:00

There's been a lot of focus in the United States on Opioid abuse. Oftentimes, minor procedures can cause one to become dependent on Oxycodne. The side effects of Opioids, namely constipation, and its effects on our surgery and level of pain can be doubly terrifying. Surgeons now use something called Experel which is a long lasting numbing injection which is Opioid free and does not cause constipation. It is injected into the area where surgery occured. My first 24 hours post LIS were literally pain free. They were uncomfortable but pain was shrouded behind a wall of heavy, heavy pain control. I remember hopping into the truck after surgery. My wife who picked me up looked at me in disbelief. We even stopped at the store to get groceries on the way home (which I did not carry), though I did walk slowly but was just recovering form general anesthesia. Because of the Exparel I was completely numb, straight through my first two BM's. I didn't even fill my Percocet prescription until next day.

It's probably standard procedure to use this, after all this is their profession, but if you are considering LIS ask your surgeon about it.

(Sounds a little like a drug ad, hah! Just sharing my experience)
dupa

Topics: 1

Re: Very good post-op pain control with Exparel

Postby chachacha » 12 Oct 2017, 15:19

While researching hemorrhoidectomy surgery, Exparel came up repeatedly and some patients were able to be pain free for up to 48 hours. I hope that I can have it when I next go under the knife.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Re: Very good post-op pain control with Exparel

Postby Tryingtorelax » 21 Jun 2019, 07:34

Dupa, when did the Exparel wear off and the pain set in? How bad was the pain when the shot wore off?
Tryingtorelax
Salt Bather

Topics: 3