Finally had LIS surgery

LIS diary - 36 year old female

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Finally had LIS surgery

Postby Water Bear » 25 Nov 2017, 00:58

Hi Marko,

My fissure would heal superficially with medical treatments but always come back. It first started almost two years ago. It was misdiagnosed when it first appeared, so from being an acute one it became chronic. I understand that once they're chronic, there is a much smaller chance that they will heal without surgery.
Water Bear
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Marko » 25 Nov 2017, 04:02

how many days are you need to fully recover after surgery? what about your job? best regards
Marko
Salt Bather

Postby Finally81 » 25 Nov 2017, 09:16

Good morning all,

Marko- I have been fighting mine for about 9 years. It was not open all the time. About 3 different times a year lasting about a month. Large stools/hard stools are what caused mine.

Water bear (or anyone) were you told anything about self dilation? So that the wound site does not heal back the previous way? I was not told anything and I saw on a few different other older posts that this was a thing. I am 9 days post op and have another 5 before follow up with the csr
Finally81
Fibre Addict

Postby Finally81 » 25 Nov 2017, 09:32

Marko- I am in the USA. My company has short term disability- 12 weeks (should I need it) at 75% of salary. I don’t think I will be out longer than 3 weeks. I had an LIS and 2 fissures removed.
Finally81
Fibre Addict

Postby Marko » 25 Nov 2017, 10:15

Finally81 wrote:Good morning all,

Marko- I have been fighting mine for about 9 years. It was not open all the time. About 3 different times a year lasting about a month. Large stools/hard stools are what caused mine.

Water bear (or anyone) were you told anything about self dilation? So that the wound site does not heal back the previous way? I was not told anything and I saw on a few different other older posts that this was a thing. I am 9 days post op and have another 5 before follow up with the csr

What is self dilation? I don't understand..I have fissure now four years, I am 32 year old, how old are you? My fissure appear 4-5 times on year..it's a horror..How did you have 2 fissure? sorry about lot of questions but I am desperate..
Marko
Salt Bather

Postby getmylifeback » 25 Nov 2017, 11:07

Marko, I have the same issues as you, what i would suggest is to talk to a CRS and seriously consider LIS. The pain from the LIS is actually less than the fissure pain for me. It will relax your sphincter to allow you to heal and it will allow more blood flow in the area to make the skin less likely to tear in the future. Im glad I had mine done, it will be the best decision youve ever made i promise
getmylifeback
Fibre Addict

Postby getmylifeback » 25 Nov 2017, 11:12

I am day 8 post op, and have been progressing well. Get a CRS you can trust, do your research and get in a good state of mind. Do not be afraid of the surgery, the worst part of this whole ordeal is what you are going through now. It will only get better, fissures are no way to live with life, I know since I suffered on and off for 8 years.
I plan to be back at work in 2 days (day 10 post op) but being mindful of what I do. I will do my best to answer any questions you may have since I have almost a decade of flare ups under my belt. Stay positive, that is very important!
getmylifeback
Fibre Addict

Postby Finally81 » 25 Nov 2017, 11:48

Marko,

I am a 32/m. My first and large fissure started 9 years ago when taking an anxiety medicine that causes severe constipation. I was not sure what it was and kept seeing a gastrologist who did not want to do anything about it. I started using mirilax to keep my stools soft and tried to live with it. A lot of suffering. A lot of anxiety. I moved to a larger city and gained the courage to go see a CRS in nov 2016( I had no idea what a CRS was before my research). I tried the nitro gel and diet. It got better but not 100%. I was in the clear for about 6 months and then the fissure opened back up. My CRS said that I would be a candidate for LIS and fissurectomy. I was worried but decided I woukd get it done after summer and before Xmas. I used mirilax (laxative/softener) until November. I made sure I got all my work and family projects out of the way. 11/16 was surgery.
Doctor said that he saw a second small fissure that he cut open as well.

Marko- go to a CRS. Do research and find a good one. I was embarrassed about it. It was uncomfortable at first. But it was better than living the rest of my life miserable and worried. The surgery/pain thus far is not bad. First 3 days I was moving slow. But each day has gotten easier.

Wrote this fast on my phone, sorry for the errors.
Finally81
Fibre Addict

Postby Marko » 25 Nov 2017, 12:06

I am from croatia, i don’t know how is good quality of operations here..what is CRS? I was without fissure 4 months but i have large stool often and nothing happened, i was so happy and now again..I have hemeroids also, i don’t know, it’s hell.
Was your fissure large? Did you have a lot of blood when fissure apear? Sorry if my english is bad. What is scale of your pain from 1-10 when fissure appear..i am happy that you are now good
Marko
Salt Bather

Postby Finally81 » 25 Nov 2017, 12:20

Pain was bad after fissure opened. 7/10 during. Blood was very bad. Looked like a murder scene. It would take a solid week for the blood to stop. CRS =colon rectal surgeon or proctologist.
Finally81
Fibre Addict

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?