Guess what? LIS....

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Guess what? LIS....

Postby cherylk » 20 Feb 2009, 09:08

I have the info saved on the different types of laxatives and how they work if you want me to post it, Corsi :D
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Corsi » 20 Feb 2009, 09:32

Thanks Lecia
Those who draws water are the less dangerous aren't they?
No, I will take something called "Toilax" containing Bisakodyl 5mg/10mg (http://www.felleskatalogen.no/felleskatalogen/?mainpage=/felleskatalogen/show.do%3Ffilename%3D/content/preparat-register/T/Toilax_Orion_84346.html)
Yes Cheryl :) :)
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2009, 09:48

That’s right both movicol and lactolose are osmotic laxatives– my idea is that the lactolose tends to cause mores side effects , for me I thought the effect was stronger and it didn’t agree with my tummy !
Corsi do you have any other symptoms bar a sore throat ?

Postby cherylk » 20 Feb 2009, 09:54

YWIMC=Your wish is my command :)
What is a laxative?
A laxative is a substance that helps you have a bowel movement. Laxatives are used to relieve and prevent constipation, which occurs when it is difficult to have a bowel movement.
What types of laxatives are there?
There are four types of products you can use to prevent or treat constipation:
Bulking agents. Food such as bran or products such as Citrucel, Metamucil, Fibercon, or Perdiem ease constipation by absorbing more fluid in the intestines. This makes the stool bigger, which gives you the urge to pass the stool. Regular use of bulking agents is safe and often lets you have more stools.
Stool softeners. Products such as Colace lubricate and soften the stool in the intestine, making it easier to pass. Stool softeners do not often cause problems but do not work as well if you do not drink enough water during the day.
Osmotic laxatives. Products such as Fleet Phospho-Soda or Milk of Magnesia and nonabsorbable sugars such as lactulose or sorbitol hold fluids in the intestine and draw fluids into the intestine from other tissue and blood vessels. This extra fluid in the intestines makes the stool softer and easier to pass. Drink plenty of water when you use this type of laxative. If you have high blood pressure (hypertension), kidney disease, heart failure, or are on a sodium-restricted diet, you should not use osmotic laxatives.
Stimulant laxatives. Products such as Correctol, Dulcolax, Ex-Lax, Feen-a-Mint, or Senokot speed up how fast a stool moves through the intestines by irritating the lining of the intestines. Regular use of stimulant laxatives is not recommended. Stimulant laxatives change the tone and feeling in the large intestine and you can become dependent on using laxatives all the time to have a bowel movement.
Are there precautions for taking laxatives?
Take any laxative or bulking agents with plenty of water or other fluids.
Do not take stimulant laxatives regularly. Stimulant laxatives change the tone and feeling in the large intestine and you can become dependent on using laxatives all the time to have a bowel movement. If you need help having regular bowel movements, use a bulking agent, such as bran or psyllium (for example, Metamucil).
Do not use osmotic laxatives if you have high blood pressure, heart failure, or kidney disease or are on a sodium-restricted diet.
Regular use of stimulant laxatives—such as Correctol, Dulcolax, Ex-Lax, Feen-a-Mint, or Senokot—may change your body's ability to absorb vitamin D and calcium. This can cause weakening of your bones (osteopenia).
Are there other ways to treat constipation?
There are many other ways to treat constipation, such as drinking more water or adding more fiber, fruits, and vegetables to your diet. These are often recommended in addition to taking laxatives.
If you've ever experienced the discomfort of constipation — perhaps while traveling or after a change in your diet — you may have considered over-the-counter laxatives. Laxatives are substances taken by mouth (oral laxatives) or in your rectum (an enema or suppositories) that relieve and prevent constipation. You can take oral laxatives in many different forms — liquids, tablets, wafers, gums, or powders that you dissolve in water. You take rectal laxatives in the form of suppositories or enemas.
Related Articles
Constipation
» More medications Articles
How often you have a bowel movement varies, but a "normal" frequency ranges from as many as three a day to as few as two a week. Your body ordinarily needs no help to have them. But a poor diet, physical inactivity, pregnancy, illness or some medications can disrupt normal bowel function and cause constipation. Before turning to laxatives for relief, you may want to try the following lifestyle changes to help manage occasional irregularity:
Eat fiber-rich foods.
Drink plenty of fluids daily.
Get regular exercise.
How laxatives relieve constipation
Laxatives work in different ways, and the effectiveness of each laxative type varies from person to person. In general, bulk-forming laxatives, such as Metamucil and Citrucel are the gentlest on your body and safe to use long term, whereas stimulant laxatives, such as Ex-lax and Senokot, are the harshest and shouldn't be used long term. If you remain constipated despite changing your diet and exercise routine, your next choice may be a mild laxative.
Following are some examples of common types of laxatives. Other types of laxatives also exist. Talk to your doctor about what laxative may be right for you.
Type of laxative
(brand examples) How they work Side effects
Oral hyperosmotics (Epsom salts, Phillips' Milk of Magnesia) Draw water into colon from surrounding body tissues to allow easier passage of stool Bloating, cramping, diarrhea, nausea, gas, increased thirst
Oral bulk formers (Citrucel, Metamucil) Absorb water to form soft, bulky stool, prompting normal contraction of intestinal muscles Bloating, gas, cramping, choking or increased constipation if not taken with enough water
Oral stool softeners (Colace, Surfak) Add moisture to stool to allow strain-free bowel movements Throat irritation, stomach or intestinal cramping
Oral stimulants (Ex-lax, Senokot) Trigger rhythmic contractions of intestinal muscles to eliminate stool Belching, cramping, diarrhea, nausea, faintness, urine discoloration
Rectal stimulants (Fleet Bisacodyl, Dulcolax) Trigger rhythmic contractions of intestinal muscles to eliminate stool Rectal irritation, stomach discomfort, faintness, cramping
In addition, oral laxatives such as those listed above may interfere with your body's absorption of some medications and food nutrients. Rectal laxatives do not have this effect.
Combination laxatives: Check labels carefully
Some products combine different types of laxatives, such as a stimulant and a stool softener. Combination products may not be any more effective than single-ingredient products. But they may be more likely to cause side effects because of their multiple ingredients. Carefully inspect labels to see how many types of laxatives a product contains.
Risks of laxative use
Interaction with medications
Your medical history and other medications you're taking may limit your laxative options. Laxatives can interact with blood thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin), antibiotics such as tetracycline and ciprofloxacin (Cipro), and certain heart and bone medications. Before using any laxative, read the label carefully. If you're not sure whether a particular laxative is right for you, ask your pharmacist or doctor. Don't exceed recommended dosages unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
Complicating conditions
Just because laxatives are available without a prescription doesn't mean that they're without risk. Laxative use can be dangerous if constipation is caused by a serious condition, such as appendicitis or a bowel obstruction. If you frequently use certain laxatives over a period of weeks or months, they can decrease your colon's natural ability to contract and actually worsen constipation. In severe cases, overuse of laxatives can damage nerves, muscles and tissues of the large intestine.
cherylk
VIP

Postby Corsi » 20 Feb 2009, 13:13

Cheryl Image Image
Tabby, I don't feel very sick if I relax, but as soon as I do something... I feel cold. My throat isn't good.
I don't care about getting a cold normally, it's just a detail, but now is NOT a good time to get it...
Corsi
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2009, 13:48

I know how you feel really Image
The first time I went in I had a bad cold the week before and the next time I had a little bug a few days before ! Come that day I was right as rain and you will be too ! Image
Just take extra extra care of yourself just now , don’t worry/stress about anything, its all going to be ok Image better times are coming Corsica Image

Postby Guest » 21 Feb 2009, 09:35

Hows is the throat today ? How are you feeling ?

Postby Corsi » 21 Feb 2009, 13:16

It' is really sore tonight, don't know what I do if I don't get this surgery...
Corsi
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 21 Feb 2009, 13:18

Could you postpone the surgery by a week? Have you seen a doc about your throat???
cherylk
VIP

Postby Corsi » 21 Feb 2009, 13:20

If I postpone it will be 7 weeks, at least.
Corsi
King Fissure