Guess what? LIS....

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Guess what? LIS....

Postby Corsi » 13 Jan 2009, 09:31

I'm back from my appointment with my CRS.
He is such a nice guy, very relaxing personality... We sat there for quite a while discussing the situation, more Botox, surgery, etc. etc.
We finally decided on LIS, he will do the surgery on me...no date yet, but as soon as possible. I am relieved, even though I know that LIS might not be an easy fix. I also think about what might go wrong, but I just couldn't go for more Botox...2 more months and than retearing again.
Thank you Cheryl, Val, Tabby & Kim for responding on my Botox thread. Val, I feel bad that you have to support me, I know you have more pain and problems than all of us.
This forum is the best Image
Image all of you, sorry to be such a party pooper lately :flush:
Image Corsica Image
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Re: Guess what? LIS....

Postby Guest » 13 Jan 2009, 10:18

I thought I responded on the botox thread-but maybe I am dreaming.....
Well, anyway-I am so glad that he listened to you and he understands where you are coming from. Just knowing that you are heard and understood goes a long way in a doctor patient relationship and gives you hope that there is something else you can try. That is great news-though I know it is a scary decision but I think after all the time you have put in with botox it makes sense!

Postby Mr. Fissure » 13 Jan 2009, 10:29

I am glad you found a doctor that makes you comfortable and that takes the time to sit and explain things with you. It is very important to have peace of mind as you already know. I hope this surgery will be the long-term solution that you need. Good Luck! :D
Mr. Fissure
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Deleted User 5 » 13 Jan 2009, 10:57

I hope it is soon, Corsica. I am happy for you. There's no good reason why your fissure shouldn't start healing right after the surgery. At least now yu can see light at the end of the tunne, I was so relieved once I was booked for surgery, just knowing the end was in sight.
Let us all know when you get a date! Image
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 13 Jan 2009, 11:39

Yes, Corsi, just focus your thoughts on all of the people who have been helped/cured with LIS (Kim, etc). Right before I had my first carpal tunnel surgery, I told the nurse that I had complete confidence in my surgeon, and she told me that I should heal faster and do better with that mind focus. The mind is very powerful!! Hopefully, you will soon be able to have the surgery and start to mend. Image Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 13 Jan 2009, 13:04

Good news Corsi – Enough is enough and I am glad your CRS could see that today :D
It’s the forever fix my sweet – 96% the cure –A Perfect way to start the new year !
Did you ask all the relevant questions and what were his replies ?
I hope you are feeling so much better now Image
xx

Postby Deleted User 5 » 13 Jan 2009, 13:49

Cheryl is right and there have been studies that back her up. A positive outlook, and expectation for healing really does help. I never doubted that once I had the LIS I'd get better. And I did!
Corsi, plan on taking two weeks of just lying around watching TV or whatever. Avoid sitting on your butt during those first two weeks.
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 13 Jan 2009, 13:56

Corsi, you will have such good support here and several persons that have lots of experience with LIS that can answer questions you might have after the procedure. A win-win situation!! Plus the next trip you take you probably won't have to take a salad bowl along for the ride!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Jen » 13 Jan 2009, 15:53

Corsi -
I am so happy that you are getting LIS. True, it is not a quick fix for some people, but I think it will help. Even some that did not heal with LIS are not in AS much pain than before.
Did your doctor say he was going to do a fissurectomy also?
This is wonderful news! Good luck and let me know if you have questions.
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Corsi » 14 Jan 2009, 03:26

So much comfort, support and good advice here!
Like you said Kim, I was soooo relived when I was leaving the hospital yesterday, I think my husband had the same feeling, this has been lasting for too long. These things are hard on everyone in the family, all types of health problems are.
Cheryl (Kim and Mr. Fissure), you are so right about the mind thing. Nothing can damage a healing process like mental stress/worry. Living with a chronic disease for years has taught me that.
And yes Lecia, you are right about the patient - doctor relationship. It's imperative (can I say that??) to have confidence and/or trust the one who treats you. I can be so stressed out before I see my CRS, but when I/we get there I calm down. We sat there for almost an hour yesterday, and he really listened to me/us.
I asked him the questions Tabby, or at least I felt that he answered whatever I asked him. I asked about how long the Botox lasts, and he said 2 months, but that it gradually looses it's impact from day one. Makes sense for me, my last shot was November 4th.
He said that 95% get pain free after LIS, but he also informed me about the risks. He told me that it was up to me about the LIS thing, but I feel that we decided this together. I have not been incontinent more than 3 times and that was after my first botox.
I will make sure not to sit on my butt Kim, like you I think that is important not to put pressure on that area. Before I go in for surgery I will have a lot of questions for you LISers, but not yet (I have already started writing them down :)
I am scared, but most important I feel so relieved...
Corsica Image Image
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18