LIS and childbirth

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS and childbirth

Postby susie sore » 04 Jun 2009, 09:50

Hi,
Even though my CRS has not suggested it, I am wondering if LIS is the only way to end my AF mess. It has been over a year since I got the fissure and I have had ups and downs but it is definitely chronic at this point and I don't know if anything but surgery will actually heal it. Can a chronic fissure ever heal without surgery? Also I am wondering about LIS and childbirth. Can it increase risks of incontinence if you give birth to a child vaginally after having LIS? I am hoping to start a family within the next couple of years, so this is a concern for me. Also the surgery seems scary because from reading some of the posts here, it sounds way more unpleasant than the fissure, but then again, hopefully it would heal whereas my fissure doesn't seem to be healing leading to nagging and annoying achy pain.
Thanks for your insights,
Susie
susie sore
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: LIS and childbirth

Postby Corsi » 04 Jun 2009, 12:37

susie sore wrote: Can a chronic fissure ever heal without surgery? Also I am wondering about LIS and childbirth. Can it increase risks of incontinence if you give birth to a child vaginally after having LIS? I am hoping to start a family within the next couple of years, so this is a concern for me. Also the surgery seems scary because from reading some of the posts here, it sounds way more unpleasant than the fissure, but then again, hopefully it would heal whereas my fissure doesn't seem to be healing leading to nagging and annoying achy pain.
I can only speak for myself, but I don't think surgery is more unpleasant than the fissure. OK it is surgery, but you are asleep (= no pain), the first weeks aren't that comfortable, there's no miracle happening the first couple of months either, but for me it has been worth it painwise. I haven't had this little BM pain for 1 1/2 years.
LIS was the only option for me, 3 Botox shot didn't cure me. If anything Susie, I regret not doing i much earlier...
I would have a C-section after LIS, and I would be completely healed before I even thought about getting pregnant. Pregnancy may cause contipation.
Image Corsi
Last edited by Corsi on 27 Feb 2010, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Fissulyna » 04 Jun 2009, 12:47

My fissure pain was so strong and combined with 24/7 spasms that I was completely debilitated ! I could not wait to jump on that table for my first LIS and the moment I woke up I was in 90% less pain and stayed that way. My first BM after LIS was 95 % less painfull than before the surgery - so - for me LIS which was even combined with fissurectomey was really NOTHING that could have been compared with fissure pain and spasms. If you are in minor discomfort now- that could be than reverse experience - I guess Image
I agree with Corsi - you can ask for c-section and not worry about anything . I wish I had C-section with my babies - if I only knew better of how much damage vaginal delivery can do to a pelvic area Image
Best of luck !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 05 Jun 2009, 03:27

I would have a C-section after LIS, and I would be completely healed before I even thought about getting pregnant. Pregnancy may cause contipation.
I agree ! Yikes ! Image
I had surgery for chronic fissure almost 2 years later, i tried the creams and botox which did help but as soon as i stopped the creams or the botox wore off my symptoms returned ! It was a vicious circle of up and down and I knew deep down i needed the surgery ..
For me the surgery was a relief for booty and mind , I agree too no worse than the evil pain that fissures bring !! Image

Postby susie sore » 05 Jun 2009, 08:53

Thanks for your insights. Its a little sad to read because I have waited quite a while to start a family, I'm in my early 30's and just finished a Ph.D. program. My husband and I have been married for almost 10 years and all our friends already have kids. My sister-in-law had a C-section and her healing was not pleasant. I am the kind of person who wants to do everything as naturally as possible. The timing of things just sucks sometimes. I never had a fissure before the colonoscopy that started this one a year ago. We have been planning to try to get pregnant in the fall of 2011, so maybe there is still time for things to heal up. I hope so!
susie sore
Fibre Addict

Postby cherylk » 05 Jun 2009, 08:57

You sound like another smartie, Susie. Image What is your PhD in???? (A person has to be smart and good looking to be in our little group. :D )
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby susie sore » 05 Jun 2009, 09:11

Thanks Cheryl,
Its in Theology and I'm moving this summer to start a teaching position at a theological college.
susie sore
Fibre Addict

Postby backagain » 15 Dec 2013, 21:20

susie sore, I know this post is super old, but I am in a similar position that you were in back in March 2009 and am wondering if you are still around and able to let us know how your surgery went and how future pregnancies/ deliveries went???
backagain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby anna » 29 Oct 2017, 04:14

Does anyone had a natural birth with chronic fissure ?
anna
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3