celebrating a good check-up with the Dr today!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

celebrating a good check-up with the Dr today!

Postby Bambi » 08 Mar 2011, 17:31

Today I had my first post-op visit to the CRS. It will be 3 weeks this Thursday since the surgery. In the past few days, the area where the skin tag was removed has been more irritated and annoying and I could feel a little bump there. So that was what I was most interested in asking him about. He took a look and got something out and "snipped" a stitch there that in his words "had outlived it's usefulness and may have been the cause of some of that irritated feeling". On the whole ride home it has already felt better!
He also wants me to continue to use the Nifedipine until I have gone one month without any pain. And to be very cautious with not having a hard bowel movement. Otherwise, he thought things looked really good and on a good path to healing. He would be very surprised if I don't go on to heal and he said the skin tag was not resurfacing.
So that was all great news. He wants me to taper off the number of baths , and to start building up my activity level. I get to back off the Nifedipine from 3 times a day to just 2 as well. Now if my body will cooperate and drop my midafternoon poop and just go with two, my life would feel much more normal! Halleluljea for some good news!
Bambi :D
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: celebrating a good check-up with the Dr today!

Postby Bumbutt » 09 Mar 2011, 01:44

That's great Bambi! It sounds like you are on a good path to healing, and that your doctor gave you good advice! Congrats!
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby alpinestrawberry » 09 Mar 2011, 07:49

I'm so happy to hear that!
Do you still think you'll take the Miralax for a long time? I think I'm going to be too nervous to stop taking it, like a lot of other boardies here. It's kept me from tearing for about a month, and that's the longest I've gone without tearing for well over a year.
I wonder if I'll be able to tell if the surgery has worked for me, or if it's just the effects of Miralax?
Well, anyway I'm so glad for you Bambi! You deserve a good outcome and I hope you get to enjoy your upcoming trips to the fullest!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Bambi » 09 Mar 2011, 09:53

Thanks Alpine and Bumbutt- I can tell this morning that removing that stitch seems to have helped. Less pain with my morning BM, although I had increased my Miralax just slightly so things were pretty soft. Alpine, I have the same concerns about Miralax and can't see me feeling ok with getting rid of it for a while. It would be scary to see what my body is really doing on it's own...Partly too because I have never been a person to be on the constipated side no matter what but the last few years have been a'changin for me (menopause) and I don't know my own body anymore. That + my thyroid meds being hard to figure out over the past few years and I have had a lot of up and downs, literally. So I will probably stay on it a while. But I know exactly what you mean. The day I have a fairly formed, not completely soft bowel movement and nothing terrible happens would be a turning point!
And thanks for the good wishes- I am going to buy airline tickets today for our Florida adventure because of a sale.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Cagirl » 09 Mar 2011, 18:54

Bambi, I'm so glad to hear things are going well and that little "snip" was a big improvement!
I've been off the Miralax now for about.....hmm.....two weeks or so. I had no choice, although terrified to go cold turkey, I had the stomach flu or an IBS flare up, but so far so good. I'm taking Benefiber at night though, and all is well! So yes, it is a huge turning point. I'm 12 weeks post LIS, btw.
Have a great trip to FL! Drop in and see Dawn!
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Bambi » 11 Mar 2011, 00:45

Hi Cagirl-
Were you taking the Benefiber along with the Miralax before or did you just now add it? I know it has been helpful to many here, but I have not tried it. I did try Metamucil and Citrucel and they both just seemed to cause me more issues. I am wondering if I should add in trying the Benefiber at some point to attempt to eventually wean off the Miralax. Thanks for your input. It helps to hear from someone several months out.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist