Scar tissure or nerve damage?????

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Scar tissure or nerve damage?????

Postby New mum » 13 Jun 2011, 22:02

I know wit a normal scar anywhere else on your body you can get nerve damage and scar tissue would tis be the same with our LIS scar. I was wondering the other day i have this weird pressure feeling sometimes mostly of an afternoon or after doing exercise/walking i get it. if i stand still or sit down its gone but when i move or walk its back. I am sure its not the fissure playing up i never had this before LIS. any thoughts????
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: Scar tissure or nerve damage?????

Postby Deleted User 579 » 15 Jun 2011, 06:56

hey New Mom - I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but your scar tissue theory sounds plausible. I just thought I'd give your post a bump because it possible people who could reply haven't seen it yet.
I hope you find an answer!
Deleted User 579

Postby New mum » 16 Jun 2011, 20:06

Thanks hopetoheal,
Maybe no one has had the same problems!
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 17 Jun 2011, 07:58

I'm not sure - there has been quite a bit of activity lately, which many of us just getting surgery, or with surgery coming up fast, or with some complications ... I have read about the pressure feeling. Is it possible it could be an internal hemmie?
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 17 Jun 2011, 12:29

Hey New Mum,
I can't say that I have experienced this. I wish I could help you. I only had pressure prior to LIS when I was having spasms.
I don't doubt that you could have some nerve damage. It's just hard to say. If I see any threads with something similar, I will let you know.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 17 Jun 2011, 21:09

Hrm I had all kinds of weird feelings in my butt for months after LIS. I think it may be too early to tell at this point. The party in my butt rocked on pretty good for the first few months, and started to die down some after maybe half a year or so? (Real rough timeline since my memory of the whole thing is fuzzy now.) I don't think it was "last call" until even a couple of months after that.
I have some chronic nerve issues elsewhere in my body and they don't usually cause pressure feelings though. My nerve pain/discomfort is almost always sharp or tingly and electric-like in nature.
If I had to guess, I'd say maybe it's one of the following suspects, listed in order of likelihood (IMO only of course):
1. Expected weirdness during LIS recovery. Perhaps the other muscles in the rectum (for example levator muscles) are changing their contraction patterns to compensate for the looser sphincter.
2. Scar tissue, or healing that isn't yet fully complete.
3. Nerve damage ... I would put this one at a pretty distant 3rd place myself, though, as my experience has been that nerve problems don't depend much on physical activity, whereas muscle discomfort does.
My butt still doesn't really feel the way I seem to remember it way back in the good ol' days. So either my memory is wrong, or something has changed since the pre-fissure days, but is relatively subtle hence why I can't quite put my finger on it.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby New mum » 18 Jun 2011, 23:11

oh god dont say hemmies not another thing lol
when it starts to happen it starts on the left side so it could be scar tissure or hopetoheal it could be internal hemmie. i really dont know much at all about hemmies. I get my pressure test done in a few days so i will go from there i guess.
Thanks for your input!
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby StevePain » 19 Jun 2011, 15:46

hey nm, I saw a doc several weeks ago that told me that it was possible I could have nerve damage b/c of the surgery, that's all I needed to hear!!!
I'm currently waiting to see another consultant as I want a proper examination of the area, I only ever had 1 follow up appointment post-LIS and I don't think it's sufficient, something is definitely not right.
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby New mum » 19 Jun 2011, 21:29

I wonder how they find out if its nerve damage????
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby StevePain » 21 Jun 2011, 15:36

I don't know yet, I'm still praying it's not nerve damage, bizarrely I'd rather it was a fissure...
StevePain
King Fissure