6 Days post LIS and excision of fissure

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

6 Days post LIS and excision of fissure

Postby Sandi071 » 04 Aug 2011, 05:35

ok, feeling better sort of....I seem to have a rash down below, like diaper rash? that is adding to my irritation. I think I am leaking too. Leaking what? I have my post op visit today and of course I will ask these questions. I still bleed after a BM, but no longer have those spasm pains. I seem to have more BM than before. I think I need to find a balance of laxatives, stool softeners and fiber. maybe I am taking to much, but I am afraid not to. I still have some pain during BM, but nothing I cant handle, of course it was much worse before. I worry. I hope this works. Is what I am experiencing normal?
:roll:
Sandi071
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: 6 Days post LIS and excision of fissure

Postby Deleted User 579 » 04 Aug 2011, 07:22

Hey Sandi - finding the right balance of stool softeners and fiber is always a challenge. What kind of laxatives are you taking? You may be taking too much, so you can probably taper off the laxatives and stool softeners. Don't stop immediately, just try taking smaller and smaller doses and drink lots of water. The leaking is probably normal wound exudate, which happens when wounds are healing. Bleeding is also fairly common until the wound heals. It's great that the spasms are gone, because that means that conditions are good for healing. All this sounds normal to me, but do let us know what you're doc says.
The rash is also normal, unfortunately, especially if you are having a lot of baths, which we have to do. If you are bathing a lot, then it's important to dry off thoroughly afterward. I think this is something to ask your doc about so that s/he can determine what is causing the rash and suggest the right way to treat it.
Don't worry! It sounds like everything you are experiencing is quite common and manageable. Let us know how your doc's appointment goes! :D
Deleted User 579

Re: 6 Days post LIS and excision of fissure

Postby Guest » 04 Aug 2011, 08:43

Sandi,
The wound naturally has a discharge/leakage after LIS and many of us experienced a bm leakage. I had horrible irritation and had to rinse constantly, and I would air it out or blow dry. I would go without underwear as much as I could- wear my robe,etc. I put some A&D ointment on the inside of my butt cheeks to help protect it because it got really irritated. I NEVER put it on the anus though. My CRS didn't want anything applied to that area or where the skin tag was removed for four weeks. She said it needed air. So I don't advise using it there.
Oh and hopetoheal is right about the leaking being normal like a wound healing. That's exactly what my CRS told me. She said like scrapping your knee and it leaks.