New and 12 days post LIS. Can anyone relate to my issues?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

New and 12 days post LIS. Can anyone relate to my issues?

Postby sdgilliam » 28 Aug 2011, 08:17

Hi. I'm Stephanie and had LIS 12 days ago. I was originally supposed to have a fistulotomy but my Dr stated once he got underway he discovered I didn't have a fistula, just a fissure.
My recovery has been horrible. I am even contemplating going to the ER right now because I'm wondering if I have an infection. I've been in constant pain ever since the surgery and take 2 Lortab 10 pills every 4 hours like clockwork and am STILL hurting.
I have a horrible constant stabbing pain in the area where he performed the LIS. The last 3 days I've noticed a large, swollen, very painful lump developing right outside of my rectum on the same side he performed surgery. I don't know if it's normal but it's incredibly painful.
I've also started bleeding every BM. It's strange too because it will be watery and little bits of blood will be floating in the toilet. Always bloody discharge on gauze I'm keeping in place between my cheeks also. I wasn't bleeding at all except for day after surgery. I don't know why I'm bleeding suddenly. I am unsure if there is pus mixed in. The blood will be bright red sometimes and then pinkish other times.
I'm not running a fever and am trying to hold out until Monday to call my surgeon to get checked out but I'm starting to worry a little.
Has anyone else ever experienced this? The swollen painful lump forming next to rectum that wasn't there for the first week after surgery? And bleeding suddenly 12 days later after surgery?
I'm so frustrated at this point. I've read many stories where people had pain for few days and I've had non-stop pain for 12 days and it feels like there is no end in sight. I'm laying down close to 23 hours a day because to stand up is incredibly painful.
Any thoughts? Thank you so much for reading my story.
sdgilliam

Topics: 1

Re: New and 12 days post LIS. Can anyone relate to my issues?

Postby Deleted User 579 » 28 Aug 2011, 08:51

Hi sdgilliam - I'm so sorry you are suffering so much! :(
I'm sorry to say that it sounds like you may have developed an abscess at the incision site. There shouldn't be a painful lump after the surgery, although the bleeding is probably normal if your fissure hasn't completely healed yet. You would only get a fever if the infection is systemic, which would be more serious than a local infection. I developed an abscess and then a small, superficial fistula at the incision site about a month after my LIS. Apparently it is not too common, but also not unheard of. I had to have a fistulotomy, which was actually easier than the LIS.
I know this really isn't what you want to hear, but I think it's a good idea for you to go back to your surgeon to have that lump examined. I could very easily be wrong, but if I'm not, then you will need your surgeon because those pesky fistulas don't heal by themselves.
Please try not to worry too much. This is an upsetting complication, as I know! But it is also a correctable issue, so try to stay positive. We are here to help as much as we can and support you as you recover. Image
Deleted User 579

Postby sdgilliam » 28 Aug 2011, 08:58

Thank you so much for your reply. I am thinking that may be what has happened as well.
I am going to try to suck it up and wait until tomorrow morning to call my surgeon.
I think I am one of the few people who is actually having more pain after the surgery than I did before it.
So glad to have run across this site. I had no idea so many people suffered from fissures and it's so nice to be able to talk to others who understand what you are going through.
sdgilliam

Topics: 1

Postby val » 28 Aug 2011, 09:36

Hi there, and welcome!
Yes, I agree with Hope, it does sound like an abcess. Or maybe a small hemmie that has thrombosed.
I've had 2 fistulotomies and they aren't as bad as what you would imagine.
I hope you can get in to see your surgeon and get it sorted asap.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 579 » 28 Aug 2011, 14:14

Hey Stephanie - good luck with your doc tomorrow. I hope you get good news, but if you don't, just remember that you will get through it! This forum saved my sanity many, many times. There are lots of good people here who will support you and offer good advice.
Keep us posted! Image
Deleted User 579