URGENT! Need Advice/ Can't Produce 1st Post-op BM.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

URGENT! Need Advice/ Can't Produce 1st Post-op BM.

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 01 Dec 2011, 21:28

Does anybody have any suggestions for 1st post-op BM constipation?
I have been eating soft/fiber rich foods since LIS on Tuesday, drinking tons of water, taking miralax, stool softener, long sitz baths, and used #18 French cath for enema, but still nothing more than a little fluid.
It's not that I don't need to go, I really do! I can feel that I have a stool on deck, but it feels really hard and I would have to strain to pass it... something I don't want/terrified to do.
After coming this far, I don't want to mess things up! Any advice on how to get this BM out would be really appreciated.
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: URGENT! Need Advice/ Can't Produce 1st Post-op BM.

Postby Sue1962 » 02 Dec 2011, 06:15

Awww Buckeye sorry for your issue!!! Iknow you said you are eating all the right stuff but are you eating enough to produce a BM? I have read on here that some take MOM to get things moving or Magnesium Citrate. I really don't know what else to offer as I have not had my surgery yet, but that is my biggest fear!!! Not being able to poop after it is all done!! Good luck!! I hope you are able to pass this monster with minimal pain Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 02 Dec 2011, 10:24

Up until today, I thought I was doing great, but oh my God! Had first partial BM today. 4 days out and two enemas latter, only passed liquid with a small amount of stool. Felt like I passed a bag of razor blades; worst pain ever.
My advice to those about to have surgery; Try, if at all possible, to avoid narcotic pain meds! If you have a stool softener regiment that has been working for you, stick to it. I think my problem has been a combo of vicodin and post-op stool softener prescription... it's like my body doesn't recognize the new softener.
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Postby Sue1962 » 02 Dec 2011, 11:03

I have heard many say the same thing on hear. I don't want to take any pain meds, hopefully will get by on 800mg Ibuprofen. and yes very importants not to change the diet or whatever works before sugery!! Remember though, you have had a lot of work done and will probably require more time to heal than with LIS alone.Do you have any Valium or Xanax?? just so you can relax. Get some rest and a warm soak, hope you feel better Jay!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 02 Dec 2011, 11:30

Thanks, Sue. Yes I have valium, and have been living in the tub.
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 02 Dec 2011, 16:38

Hi Buckeye - I'm so sorry you're struggling with that first poo! Lots of folks have had that experience here, and, as Sue said, MOM really does the trick. Also, since it's so important to avoid straining and pushing, I recommend assuming a squatting position. This sounds a bit gross, but it worked wonders for me: I got a paper plate, put some TP on it and then squatted to poop on the plate. The contents of the plate gets dumped in the toilet and the paper plate goes into a garbage bag. It's actually not messy at all if you're careful. This works because squatting is actually a more natural way to go (I find squatting in the bush when I'm camping more comfortable than sitting on a toilet ... well, except for the mosquitoes!). I found squatting really helped me avoid pushing too hard. Taking deep yoga breaths really helps a lot too.
I hope you have a painless poop really soon!
Deleted User 579

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 02 Dec 2011, 16:58

Hopetoheal, squatting makes sense. I have read that we end up with problems because evolution never intended for us to sit on toilets.
Desperate times call for desperate measures! I have ten acres of woods, and think I might just take a walk and cop a squat. It's hunting season, so I will be sure to wear orange.
Thanks for the advice.
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 02 Dec 2011, 19:07

Hey Jay. I hope things are moving along for you and you are able to go. I'm not sure what prescription stool softener they gave you but Miralax stood up well against the vicodin for most of us. I only took the vicodin two days but another boardie took them for much longer and swore they were no match for Miralax.
Gosh, I hope you go soon! I know things have to be getting uncomfortable.
10 acres of woods- that's my kind of living right there. I lived in the country all my life and loved it!! Now I could reach out and slap the house next to me and I hate it!
Take care and wear that orange! Lol

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 02 Dec 2011, 19:55

JackPot! 4th enema and 10mg of Valium. Finally, just had three good sized BMs without too much blood.Slight spasm, but hey! Hurt like like you know what, but I'm relieved to get what seems to be the hardest part out of the way. I was starting to worry that I had impacted; the original cause of this nightmare. It seems like the pain is from the fissurectomy site. Pretty good relief from sitz bath, and I just took 4 Advil (no more vicodin).
Given that it's in the thirties out, I decided to skip the woods!
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 02 Dec 2011, 20:10

Congratulations!! You are passed the hard part now. I agree with Dawn about the miralax - that stuff worked wonders with me. I'm sorry it's too cold for squatting in the woods - your place sounds lovely :)
Deleted User 579