LIS- postop instructions

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS- postop instructions

Postby Deleted User 1218 » 07 Feb 2012, 20:04

Hi everyone! I just saw my CRS today, and will be having an LIS next week. I'm kicking myself, because I should have asked him what the postop instructions are to prepare. I am taking time off from work, and he said I should be able to return to work in about a week after the surgery. However, I should have told him I have a fairly physical job, where at times I have to lift/push things during the day (I'm not sure he realized what I do for work). So, I was wondering if anyone here was provided any postop instructions (ie: did you have to soak during the day, avoid exercises, avoid lifting, avoid any foods, etc....). I know they differ from doctor to doctor, but I was just curious what other folks were told. Unfortunately, I realized this too late and when I called the office, the nurse didn't have a ton of info. (I really wish I asked the MD!!!) I just want to be prepared for what may come. Thanks!
Deleted User 1218

Re: LIS- postop instructions

Postby Arafat » 08 Feb 2012, 09:39

Hey Julie! Most boardies here including myself will tell you that LIS surgery really isnt that complicated! The surgery takes all of 10-15 minutes and recovery certainly isnt scary. As far as post op instructions go, my doc said i should take it easy for a couple of weeks and not move around a whole lot. This holds true especially for the first 2-3 days. Keep the wound clean n dry as much as possible with 2-3 sitz baths on a daily basis. You should make every effort to keep ur stool soft and NOT push during BM's! Stool softeners and proper diet are a must for the few weeks of recovery. Since u do a strenuous job, i suggest that u do not go back to work for the first 2 weeks. Stay at home, dont move much and keep that area clean without handling the wound too much! U will hopefully have minimal discomfort after the first 2 days and even the first 2 days arent that bad. Unlikely, that you will need painkillers...ask away if u have further questions.
Arafat
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: LIS- postop instructions

Postby workingonit » 08 Feb 2012, 09:57

Good luck Julie!
You'll do great!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34