NHS - 0.5% Incontinence statistics after LIS surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

NHS - 0.5% Incontinence statistics after LIS surgery

Postby Davo » 20 Feb 2012, 04:40

I know that this is the main worry when having LIS surgery therefore i thought i would post the NHS (UK) information showing their incontinence statistics following LIS. Basically they said that 1 in 10 people will suffer some mild incontinence in the first two months following surgery however this is only permanent in 1 in 200 (0.5%)

This is the quote:

"Around 1 in 10 people will experience bowel incontinence after having surgery due to damage to the anal muscles. This means that they will lose some control of their bowel movements. However, it is usually a mild type of incontinence where the person is unable to prevent themselves from passing wind, and they may also experience some mild soiling.

The symptoms of incontinence usually improve in the first few months after surgery and resolve with two months. However, in around 1 in 200 cases the incontinence is permanent"
Davo

Topics: 42

Re: NHS - 0.5% Incontinence statistics after LIS surgery

Postby Morningstar » 23 Feb 2012, 16:55

Should be a sticky in my opinion :)!
Too many people (like me before) wait to long because they heard the wrong 30% number!
Morningstar
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby rasmith3530 » 23 Feb 2012, 21:04

Glad to hear those statistics. They give me hope.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Davo » 24 Feb 2012, 05:16

Morningstar - you are so right about the statistics out there.
You should only trust the figures from bona fide large scale proffessional organisations. I too have had concerns by reading statistics from stupid un-heard of medical practices in the likes of Africa. And to be honest looking at the state of some of these places i can understand why success isnt high.
So guys dont be fooled by everything you read - the risks associated with this are very low indeed and we now have seen comments from very senior surgeons both in the UK and the USA who report rates of incontenance at less than 1% providing it is carried out by a good surgeon.
Also read the comments by real people on this website and make the decision for yourself!
Davo
Davo

Postby Davo » 03 Feb 2013, 15:59

Davo wrote:I know that this is the main worry when having LIS surgery therefore i thought i would post the NHS (UK) information showing their incontinence statistics following LIS. Basically they said that 1 in 10 people will suffer some mild incontinence in the first two months following surgery however this is only permanent in 1 in 200 (0.5%)
This is the quote:
"Around 1 in 10 people will experience bowel incontinence after having surgery due to damage to the anal muscles. This means that they will lose some control of their bowel movements. However, it is usually a mild type of incontinence where the person is unable to prevent themselves from passing wind, and they may also experience some mild soiling.
The symptoms of incontinence usually improve in the first few months after surgery and resolve with two months. However, in around 1 in 200 cases the incontinence is permanent"

Thought i would re-post this as i noticed a few incontinence threads popping up again
Davo
Davo

Postby SteveR » 03 Feb 2013, 23:25

God! I have read much much higher numbers, which has always worried me. I'm off for surgery on 28th feb s this makes me feel better.
The only thing I'm worried about is my surgeon saying he only does this op once a year - so my assumption is little practise!
SteveR
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 04 Feb 2013, 15:06

Keep in mind, these statistics are for ALL surgeons that perform LIS (colorectal surgeons AND general surgeons). According to my CRS, if your surgery is performed by a board-certified colorectal surgeon (and not a general surgeon that has less experience), the percentage of those with permanent incontinence will likely be much less.
In addition, the overall statistics don't take into account certain risk factors that influence the statistics. For example, according to my CRS, women are more likely to experience permanent incontinence than men and being younger reduces your risk of permanent incontinence.
Since I am young and male, my CRS said that my risk of permanent incontinence is practically zero.
In my opinion, I would only have LIS performed by a board-certified colorectal surgeon.
Last edited by thisfissurecankissmybutt on 04 Feb 2013, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Davo » 04 Feb 2013, 15:10

Thisfissure,
How the devil are you doing buddy??
You just quoted higher figures than me!
My figures are based upon the whole of the UK National Health Service (NHS) which states 1 in 200 people suffer from gas incontinence post surgery (that's half a percent)
Are you eating pizza again now?
Davo
Davo

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 04 Feb 2013, 21:39

Hi Davo:
Oops, my original post included a typo, which has now been corrected. Thanks for pointing it out!
Things are going well. I saw my CRS last Friday and he said everything continues to look great! By the way, I am eating a large slice of pizza as I type this.
How are you doing? How's married life? Hopefully you didn't trade one pain in the ass for another pain in the ass!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby caf1988 » 10 Apr 2016, 03:56

so is this why my surgeon is referencing a 1/10 incontinence risk? he means it is temporary and not that 1/200 permanent incontinence? he keeps scaring me with these warnings and is an experienced board-certified CRS.
caf1988
Salt Bather

Topics: 10