Can you use rectogesic cream post surgery?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Can you use rectogesic cream post surgery?

Postby Sorew5 » 15 Dec 2012, 17:00

Hi all. I am just wondering if anyone has used rectogesic cream post surgery? I had LIS a month ago. The recovery has been so so but this week I have had severe pain during and after bm's even when doing all the right things.. Bran flakes, soluble fruit, lots of water, lactulose etc.
I remember before the op when I got the pain I put that cream on it and it helped numb the area. My CRS said don't use shower gel etc on it but I forgot to ask him about when I can use cream again. If anyone has experienced this please let me know!
Thanks in advance :)
Sorew5
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Can you use rectogesic cream post surgery?

Postby palash » 16 Dec 2012, 09:52

Oh dear:( that seems really terrible. To be in pain after a procedure you hoped would stop the pain:( I can understand. If you've been having lactulose, bran, and all other fibre you should be fine after a month( after all the posts I've read, that is). The pain could be because of another fissure I guess, but it should heal quickly because you've had LIS. Don't worry about it, I'm on the same boat as you( if not, at least the sister ship=P). I just had SAD( standardized anal dilatation) today and too am recovering. Just wondering, r u from singapore by any chance?
palash
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby palash » 16 Dec 2012, 09:56

Oops, I didn't answer your question. Sorry>< I don't see a reason why you shouldn't use rectogesic after surgery. If it gave you relief before, I think you should use it again. By the way, what made you think twice? Because I may be wrong as to whether its safe to apply rectogesic post surgery
palash
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby owmybum » 16 Dec 2012, 14:54

Sore,
Sorry to hear you are suffering again. There often is no rhyme or reason why we get a bad bm and things flare up again. I am sure it will be short lived though, since you have had lis. I am not sure about using the rectogesic and would suggest giving your dr a call in the morning just to make sure.
Hope things ease up for you soon
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Sue27uk » 16 Dec 2012, 15:48

I had a fistulotomy and was instructed by my CRS to use rectogesic to aid in the recovery so I guess its ok. I was still using it until a while ago too, thinking I had a fissure but lo and behold it looks like I have been blessed with something else! Maybe sheck with your doc first :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Sorew5 » 17 Dec 2012, 05:47

Hi all thanks for your kind words. I have had a day off painkillers so hopefully going in the right direction! Am seeing dr on wed and will ask about the cream and let you know the outcome.
It does feel like I have another fissure or tear but hopefully it heals faster like you say.
Palash - not from Singapore. I am from uk but live in aus :)
Sorew5
Fibre Addict

Postby Bob J » 17 Dec 2012, 06:02

I am 16 weeks post op and have been using Rectogesic 3 times a day since the op as advised by CRS (gets expensive but worth it). I have to use it for another four weeks until all symptoms stop. Interested to hear what your doc says tomorrow.
Bob J
Fibre Addict

Postby Sorew5 » 19 Dec 2012, 06:05

Thanks bob!
My doc said she recommends using rectogesic so happy days! She said use it until about march (my op was in November). She also said use lactulose every night (15ml) until march when she thinks I should be fully healed. More details in my '3 day post LIS and skin tag' post.
Anyway typically I got home and can't find the damn cream after spending all day looking forward to using it haha. Back to the chemist tomorrow!
Sorew5
Fibre Addict

Postby jillywilly » 19 Dec 2012, 10:27

Hi there i would be interested to hear if you feel the recto works for you post LIS as i'm in a similar situation, i had my LIS done nearly 6 weeks ago & still havnt had a completely pain free bm yet. It isnt as bad as it was pre op (when the pain literally floored me for hours) but i am still getting spasm type pain after every bm lasting for several hours, even tho i'm keeping stools soft with high fibre diet & lots of water. I was using recto daily before the op (it was my lifeline!) but i hanvt used it since, despite the pain, as i thought it would be a step backwards rather than forwards. I do still have some tho & if it helps i think i'd rather use it than suffer too much. I have to say i had expected to be completely pain free by christmas but thats not going to be the case & i think my expections were maybe a bit high as it would seem that a lot of people take months to heal rather than weeks. I'm pleased i had the surgery done tho cos life was becoming unbearable before hand & certainly is improving albeit very slowly. Havnt seen my CRS yet for follow up thats not due to early January but will be very interested to see if he thinks i've healed or not.
All the best
Jill
jillywilly
Salt Bather

Topics: 12