AF post pregnancy and 2.5 years post lis

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

AF post pregnancy and 2.5 years post lis

Postby mail2san » 15 Apr 2013, 16:25

Hi,
I had a chronic anal fissure in the year 2010 . My recovery was very good and never had any problems till now. I used to have some irritations, but it was temporary.
However I gave birth to a baby girl 8 weeks ago. I had a C-section. I didn't had any problem during pregnancy. I did not have a bowel movement for 6 days after my delivery due to pain meds. My doc prescribed milk of magnesia and it worked. I had bowel movement but it was a little painful. Later on, I had regular bowel movements.
But, since last week I had pain while I was passing stools. I was not constipated. I had this pain for 2 days and I started drinking lot of water and took Colace. I had painless BM for the whole week. Today, I felt the same pain again and I also saw some blood in my stool. I had pain only while passing stool, and later I did not had pain for the day except some uneasiness. However, I have pain near my anal when I touch it. I never had blood after lis. I called my doc and she prescribed proctosol HC. I have been using it from last 4 days. I am not in too much pain except some uneasiness. But today I had blood and burning after my BM.
Now I am scared that my fissure is back. Will that heal by itself? I have warm baths and sitz baths. Now I am really really scared. If you have any similar experience, please share.
mail2san
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: AF post pregnancy and 2.5 years post lis

Postby marg6043 » 15 Apr 2013, 21:38

mail2san firs of all let me congratulate you on your bundle of joy, Image
Now do not panic, because you just may have irritated the anal area and seen some blood, you need to take all the steps necessary to make sure that it will not get out of hand.
First of all take stool softeners, next make sure you lubricate the anal canal very well before you Know you are to have a BM, this will take care of the irritation for a bit most of the time, also desitin for babies will work well also after your BM, you can use a Q-tip to gently put the oitment were if feels tender.
Then you need to get an appointment with a CRS as soon as possible to rule out that is not Hems what you are experiencing but the old fissure.
Like that you will ease your mind and if is the old fissure you can take care of it with proper medication before it gets out of hand, so you can be back to be a mommy and enjoy your baby.
I wish you the best.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby mail2san » 16 Apr 2013, 14:54

marg6043, thank you.
I have been taking Colace since last week and also using proctosol HC which was prescribed by my doc. My BMs are not too painful and at the same time they are not painless either. I have got the appointment for next month. Until then, I have to wait. I just hope that it doesn't get bad.
I am just wondering if its a retear of my fissure, will that heal with meds? Any suggestion will be appreciated.
mail2san
Fibre Addict

Postby jdhouseholder » 16 Apr 2013, 15:11

mail2san I also want to say Congratulations on your new baby!
I had LIS about a year ago and my fissure did re-tear just a couple of weeks ago. It was very painful and I was back in bed for most of 5 days. It has been about 16 days and the pain has lessened dramatically but I am going in for Botox in the morning. Surgeon is a little worried of doing a 2nd LIS. I do know since having LIS it has made the fissure not as bad as when I had the fissure without surgery. I thought I was completely healed but had one hard BM and that was that. Please keep me updated on how you are. I know it must be disheartening to have to even worry about this while taking care of a newborn! I hope you heal on your own but if not your Dr. will take care of you!! I will let you know how the Botox turns out too!!
jdhouseholder
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby marg6043 » 16 Apr 2013, 17:46

mail2san I am glad that you are to see your doctor for treatment, like jdhouseholder explain, sometimes a retear after LIS is not as bad and can heal faster than when you have it the first time.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby mail2san » 17 Apr 2013, 13:30

Jdhouseholder thanks. Sorry to hear that your fissure retore. I wish it heals with botox. But before trying botox, have you tried any creams? Is it too bad? Today I had soft bm but still there was blood. Don't have any pain except some itching after bm. Let me know how you are doing after botox. It's really depressing for me as I am unable to fully concentrate or enjoy with my baby.But am trying my best to stay happy when am with her.
Marg6043 I wish it heals on its own, so that I could enjoy motherhood. Thanks.
mail2san
Fibre Addict

Postby jdhouseholder » 18 Apr 2013, 20:24

Yes, I have tried the creams for about 2 months before I had LIS last May. My Botox has been moved to a week from today. My CRS wanted to go ahead and do it under sedation so he could go in and look at the fissure and see how it is. I will keep you updated. Glad you can enjoy that baby, again I know the pain of these stinking fissures and some days it's all we can do to just survive through the pain, so enjoy the little moments when you can and know it does get better even if you have setbacks. Wishing healing for us all!! Image
jdhouseholder
Salt Bather

Postby mail2san » 19 Apr 2013, 16:28

Oh, so it has been postponed. I was waiting for your update. Good luck and I wish you healing. Have you tried any creams when you had retear recently? After lis fissures tend to heal pretty quickly. So did you try any of the creams? I wanted to try creams before I go to my CRS. I still see blood and some burning after BM. Its not worse though. This is really frustrating. I am using Proctosol HC, but it isn't of much use. Does diltiazem works?
mail2san
Fibre Addict

Postby jdhouseholder » 19 Apr 2013, 20:30

I have only ever used the Nitro and did this for awhile upon waiting for my LIS last year. I think it might have helped slightly but the headaches were pretty intense. I just did not like the way it made me feel physically so no, I have not used any creams since my re-tear. But I know many people on here do use and recommend them after a tear. My pain is about 1 or 2 these past couple of days so hoping the Botox will give it a boost and I will finally heal! Hope you have pain free days soon. I will try and post about my botox either Thursday night or Friday sometime.
jdhouseholder
Salt Bather

Postby ravians » 20 Apr 2013, 03:21

I m planing for LIS. I have two fissures. but really afraid to hear that u have got it again. any way will pray for u people. y the fissure retear.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3