Post-surgery, small bump under skin near anus, PAINFUL

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Post-surgery, small bump under skin near anus, PAINFUL

Postby edword » 29 Apr 2013, 08:48

Hi. Been reading for about a month. First-time poster (male, ~40). I'll first say as many others have that this board is WONDERFUL. A million thanks to all whose wisdom has been shared here.
The skinny: After dealing with an awful internal fissure for several months, I went ahead with the fissurectomy and sphincterotomy. I'm six days out from the surgery. Like some lucky others who have posted here, I haven't had too much internal pain. There is some, but it's all relative, I guess. I'll take it compared to what I was dealing with before. I'm not counting my chickens just yet, though. I know the road is long.
However, the day after the surgery I noticed that a tiny bump started developing underneath the skin of the opening to my rectum. It got a bit bigger over the next few days and is now the size of a small pea. It's hard, not discolored (again, under the skin), and PAINFUL as hell. Painful to the touch, painful to walk, impossible to sit, and with BMs, well, on a scale of 1-10, it really sucks. Also, I don't know if it's related, but I'm having a constant trickle of a bloody discharge -- I'm wearing disposable "Depends" undergarments rather than regular underwear (not doctor/hospital recommended, but really should be, no?) and going through 2-3 of those each day. It's definitely blood, but there might be something else along with it...nothing green/yellow (and no fever for me)...but there is an odd smell to it.
OK, after writing all that I feel like either deleting or apologizing for TMI, but I've just spent a couple hours reading mustering up the courage to write/send and have just enough left, so here goes... anyone out there have thoughts on what this "little bump" might be and/or if I should be worried about this discharge?
edword

Topics: 1

Re: Post-surgery, small bump under skin near anus, PAINFUL

Postby jr2 » 29 Apr 2013, 10:04

Hi edword,
Sounds like you need to get a check by your doctor. While there are people here who have said they had various kinds of lumps and bumps post surgery that turned out to be part of the healing process, it could also be that you've developed an abscess, and if you have an abscess the sooner you get it checked and treated the better off you'll be. Abscess can develop into fistula, and the best chance of preventing that is getting early treatment for it. If it turns out it is just a part of your healing, your doctor can give you that reassurance.
Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Ever the Optimist » 29 Apr 2013, 14:58

Hi Edword,
Absolutely agree with Jr2.
If it's "growing" and it's that painful, please go get checked out for an abscess. It's also discharging and the "smell" may well be pus/ infection coming from that bump....
If it is an abscess, it may well have popped by now, definitely get it checked to ensure it's drained properly and you may well be given anti-biotics too.
Fingers crossed it's not as you really don't need any other issues to contend with during your healing process....
Hoping it's all working out for you......
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby edword » 30 Apr 2013, 06:13

Many thanks to you both -- I now have an appointment for later this week (rather than waiting another week as was recommended for the first post-op). Will post a follow-up...
edword

Postby sidra1968 » 30 Apr 2013, 08:55

Hey edword, same thing happened to me (4 years ago) ..it was an infection and I took two rounds of Flagyl antiobiotic to get rid of it. Makes sense if you think how easily that area could get "dirty"..I didn't have a fever either, btw
when that CRS doc tried to squeeze it I think he heard words he had never heard before!!! LOL
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Savaici » 30 Apr 2013, 11:42

Good luck with your appointment, edword. Best idea! Let us know how it goes.
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby edword » 04 May 2013, 12:39

OK, closing the loop on this one. Went to the doc. Turns out they did the sphincterotomy on side opposite than originally planned. So, the "bump" was the wound from the incision. Just some inflammation, but no infection or anything like that. It also explains the shooting pain on a side where I wasn't expecting any pain.
Had I known the surgeon had made the decision a few minutes into the surgery to do the procedure on the other side, I think I probably would have made the connections myself and saved myself the worry. Still, I think there's a lesson here for anyone reading: Even when the surgeon says "everything went well" after the surgery, it doesn't hurt to confirm, you know, details. (Argh.)
I left the doc somewhat frustrated, but mostly relieved. Mystery solved!
edword

Postby edword » 04 May 2013, 12:45

I should add, for anyone reading for general perspective on the fissurectomy. I'm about 12 days out now from the procedure (one awful internal fissure that I felt pretty much constantly for a couple months) and I can't feel hardly any pain in that area now at all. If you're on the fence about the procedure, just one person's perspective here: For me, at least at this point in time, it feels like a life-changer (for the better). I'm very grateful to have done it, and for this forum, because I'm already consuming massive amounts of information about diet, exercise, etc., so that I can, hopefully, avoid this madness in the future.
edword

Postby marg6043 » 04 May 2013, 14:29

edword, hi there, I am glad you found the reason of your mystery bump, I guess when you got out of surgery your doctor didn't explain what he did and how.
Sometimes or most of the time it happens, but you know now and things will be better to understand and let the healing take its toll.
I wish you the best. :D
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8