Fistfula Surgery Diary

My story and Experience

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Fistfula Surgery Diary

Postby JB620 » 25 Apr 2017, 08:22

For anyone anxious about having a fistula procedure, here's my story. Going in to this I was a wreck- extremely anxious, feeling exposed/invaded. This is the toughest thing Ive had to do. hopefully this will provide some comfort I hope this will provide some comfort for those of you not knowing what to expect from a fistulotomy.

Here's my story for you...

March 2017: Went to CRA for perianal abscess. I had it drained in the office. They have me a few shots of numbing agent - which was the most painful part, felt like burning bee stings- lanced to drain, rinsed with saline, packed, and covered with pads of gauze. I was out the door in about 20 minutes. Following that procedure, I would advise to doing as many sitz baths (very warm baths) as much as you are able. This will soften the packing and make it easier to remove; however, this was a stinging and uncomfortable process for me. The packing does dry a bit and so it feels like pulling a bandaid off of very sensitive skin- ouch!-BUT- once it's out, you'll feel a million times better. Baths will help with pain and healing process. Keep up on ibuprofen to minimize inflammation, and don't be scared to have a BM. It doesn't hurt! The Open wound is what is painful. I experienced a lot of aching and just continued to lay on my sides for a few days. By day 4-5, I felt a lot better! Just take it easy and move around when you're able.

The first week or so I had some drainage, but nothing serious. Little blood and moderate amount of "goop", as I like to call it. As the weeks continued though, my pain seemed to minimize but only to a certain point. Two days before my follow-up visit, I went for a short, easy run and noticed the next day another abscess was forming. When I saw my CRS two days later, he said that was a sign of a fistula and scheduled surgery for 3 days later.

Pre-surg: I started taking a still softener and eating more fiber the day before my surgery. I also drank about 1.5 gallons of water (~5 Liters). I would recommend waiting until the day after surgery to take the still softener though because taking it too early, in addition to the extra fiber and anxiety, gave me diarrhea. I started fasting at 11:30 PM. Little did I know that a delay in schedule would cause for me to be fasted 23 hours... ugh.

Day of Surgery: I did one FLEET enema at home. If you're scared to do this, don't worry! It doesn't hurt. You'll feel pressure in your bum and a cold feeling as the liquid travels in, then you'll need to poo and feel just fine. I arrived at the hospital 3 hrs before my appt as directed. They took my height, weight, blood pressure and pulse, asked me to slip into a gown and socks and I was snug as a bug in bed. No poking or prodding. LADIES: I was a few days into my period and I was allowed to wear a tampon into the OR. It was taken out at some point, but It did make me feel more comfortable to have it in until in was asleep. Also, my anesthesiologist did allow me to wear a non-wire/no metal sports bra.

I had to wait to see my CRS, who stopped by just to see how I was feeling and give me a time Update, 2 of his PAs (physicians assistants, and the anesthesiologist. All were very kind, quick, asked if I had questions, and left. Again, no poking or prodding.

Unfortunately, the ORs had a full schedule that day, so we had to wait an extra 2.5 hrs! Yikes. The anxiety of waiting was horrible. Once they came to get me, and wheeled me into the OR, the tried to help comfort me, put a few "stickers" on (for heart monitoring), and then I woke up! Lol

Surgical findings: I had a fistula about 1in long (3.5-ish cm). I was uninflected and easily opened. The CRS estimated 3-4 eeeks before I'd be feeling pretty normal again. Keeping in mind that it was an easy surgery, this is my post-op experience...

Post-Op room: when I woke up, I was. Or in pain. I was warm in a. Inch of blankets, my legs/feet felt heavy and numb, and my throats hurt (from the tube they use to keep you breathing under GA). My throat hurting was the thing o noticed most that upset me. For whatever reason, my reaction to waking up from the anesthesia was to cry lol LADIES: I had on stretchy net panties with a pad in them for menses. It took me about 35 minutes to really understand what was going on. They unhooked my IV to keep me comfy and went over post-op care and medication with my husband. I was given two painkillers before I left. In my instance, the surgery was pushed back so late that we weren't able to get my pain meds prescriptions that night. I took ibuprofen in the middle of the night to try to hold me over.

Diary continued in real time...
Last edited by JB620 on 25 Apr 2017, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
JB620
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Fistfula Surgery Diary

Postby JB620 » 25 Apr 2017, 10:34

Morning: I did not sleep very well last night, as I naturally move around a lot in my sleep. I woke up in quite some pain, and my dear husband went asap to get the prescriptions filled. I would describe the pain as a sharp, achey, burning sensation. Shortly after I woke-up I could tell I would have a BM soon. I took some stool softener and a pain killer and am waiting for that to kick in before I head to the bathroom. Luckily it was just some gas, which did. It hurt to pass as long as I kept thinking about relaxing. Had to sit in a bath to relax enough to pee, then started to experience some rectal spasms. This feels tightening your bum, but it hurts a bit bc of the soreness. I just try to breath through it and focus on actively relaxing the muscles. I took some valium which helps the most with that. Trying to get lots of fluids/electrolytes back in my system, as well as a decent amount of food. Because I was so fasted yesterday and went to bed right when we got home, I have been very low on nutrients and have almost passed out twice. Don't let this happen! Slowly increase your food and fluid intake- fibrous foods, water and electrolytes (I like NUUN tablets the best. You just drop them into a bottle of water. No sugars or bad stuff in them). Feeling better with all of the meds in my system, a warm bath, and some food/water. Laying down until I feel the urge for a BM, and trying to plan my next rounds of meds to have kicked in before that happens! Pain is about a 6 out of 10 now. Being able to remove the outter gauze packing has helps relieve a lot of pressure! They basically just taped lots of gauze between my cheeks which would push on my rectum when I lay flat. Feeling under control now and trying to relax.

Also, I would advise to write down when to take which medications. I plan to take the pain meds for the first three days and then see if I can use ibuprofen only. Because you shouldn't be overlapping medications, I've written down a "schedule" to ensure I'll have the pain under control and will be taking the medications at the appropriate/safe times.
Last edited by JB620 on 25 Apr 2017, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
JB620
Fibre Addict

Re: Fistfuls Surgery Diary

Postby bonzie » 25 Apr 2017, 18:50

Sorry, my previous post was late. Just found your surgery diary. Did you have a fistulotomy?
bonzie

Postby JB620 » 25 Apr 2017, 19:19

Yep! Yesterday.
Last edited by JB620 on 25 Apr 2017, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
JB620
Fibre Addict

Postby bonzie » 25 Apr 2017, 19:24

Was it a "simple" fistulotomy - if so, was your sphincter muscle involved?
bonzie

Postby JB620 » 25 Apr 2017, 21:50

It was simple- no internal infection and no cutting of the muscles! :)
JB620
Fibre Addict

Postby JB620 » 25 Apr 2017, 21:51

Afternoon/Evening: sleeping a lot today. Pain is under control, as long as I can keep meds in me I'm able to move slowly but well. Surprisingly, my body feels really sore- my throat, neck, tightness in my rib cage... my sister is a nurse in a pre-Op unit and said that anesthesia can have that affect. Deep breathing and coughing will help rid the body of the rest of the anesthetic gases. No BM today. Taking stool softener and keep up on fluids. I've been passing gas throughout the day which is a good sign. I'll have some coffee in the morning to try and help stimulate my bowels.
JB620
Fibre Addict

Postby JB620 » 26 Apr 2017, 13:36

Day 2: Ok night last night. Woke up twice for meds bc I was having some pain. Still very sore/stuff this morning. Working on deeps breathing and some coughs to try and get the anesthesia out of my system. Feeling really good with ibuprofen and prescriptions in me- able to move around comfortably, up and down stairs slowly, in/out of the tub on my own. Still no BM. Had a small cup of coffee this morning with melon and pears and berries. Going to try some MiraLax today to see if that will get things moving. I keep passing gas though (without pain), so that's a good sign! Staying positive and trying to take it easy. Definitely look forward to a nap since my sleep is so broken during the night.
JB620
Fibre Addict

Postby JB620 » 26 Apr 2017, 18:01

Took some MiraLax this afternoon and Senekot after a nap. Also had a small cup of coffee. Body feeling a little less sore after every sleep. Hoping to have a BM before bedtime. Still taking in lots of fluids and warms baths to keep the muscles relaxed. Swelling has decreased and everything looks like it's moving in a positive direction! Just need the BM to happen, but stressing about it doesn't help lol Pain is minimal thanks to the ibuprofen (I take 600mg every 6 hrs) that I rotate as needed with Hydrocodone-acetaminophen.
JB620
Fibre Addict

Postby JB620 » 26 Apr 2017, 19:26

Evening: Finally had my first BM! Took Valium, Senekot and a small cup of coffee and waited. Went to pee and it just happened! I did have to push some but I didn't have to strain, the BM was relatively soft and there was no pain or excessive bleeding. I got in a hot bath right after (no wiping) and relaxed for a bit. Used the hand-held shower head for an extra rinse. The Valium helps prevent rectal spasms so I just feel mildly sore, but not in pain. Success!
JB620
Fibre Addict