2 Setons for 6 weeks, still lots of pain, help?!

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Postby Dougal » 02 Nov 2017, 10:44

Hi All,
I am new to the forum, so hope I am posting this in the right place.
6 weeks ago I was admitted to Bournemouth Hospital (UK) with a very painful
perianal abscess. They performed an op, and I came around to find out they had put a drain seton in. So off I went home, with some painkillers and dressings.
A week later I was back in with a second abscess, about an inch away from the first one. Again, another general anaesthetic and a second Seton. In hospital a bit longer this time, but then off home with pain killers and antibiotics etc.
So here I am, about 6 weeks post first seton, and 4 weeks post second seton. But every day I still get huge bouts of pain, especially in the evening, from about 4pm onwards.
There is still a lot of discharge from both seton drain holes.
I am on 10mg Oxycodon and paracetamol. Although it appears that they don't do a lot of good, especially about 8 hours into the 12 hour slow release Oxycodon.
My question, is should I still be in such pain this long after the surgery? I can only sit down for about an hour max before I get a lot of pain.
I read about people going back to work within a week, so I am worried that something may be amiss.
BTW, I had an MRI two weeks ago, and it showed no new abscesses... so why the pain!
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Doug.
Dougal

Topics: 1