After Fistula Surgery, but still discharge pus. Is that ok?

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

After Fistula Surgery, but still discharge pus. Is that ok?

Postby FirstDuke » 10 Oct 2011, 08:04

Hi all, I jus had my fistula surgery on last Thursday, today is already fifth day, but it still discharge a lot of pus, is tht normal. I afraid the doctor did not done it properly. This actually my second operation, at first is an abcess, but the doctor did not notice it was a fistula at the 1st surgery, as two week past, the pus still discharge, then the doctor told me it was a fistula. My mom was quite angry, as the doctor did not discover it is a fistula at the operation, the doctor did not even consider that there is probability that the abcess formed a fistula.
Then we change surgeon from another hospital, surgery done, but still discharge pus, I went for doctor, and he say is normal. But I got no more faith in doctor, as the first doctor say ok to me as well, and now I need to do a second operation.
So that is my brief scenario, juz wanna ask is that ok having pus discharge? I saw the sticky post by Derry, it mentioned it is not normally if it is a really bad odor smelling pus, but my pus isn't that smelling at all.
Hope to hear it is normal, I really do not want a third operation.
FirstDuke
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: After Fistula Surgery, but still discharge pus. Is that ok?

Postby tornup » 10 Oct 2011, 10:17

I also just had a fistula surgery this past friday. My CRS said it would be normal to puss for two weeks. The one thing I do notice was that prior to the surgery when there was puss you could smell the infection, for me anyway I now notice the puss doesn't stink up the whole bathroom which to me makes me think the infection was all cut out which I guess is the purpose of the surgery.
Hope all is well I have been dealing with my fistula for 4 years and I finally grew the balls to get it taken care of. Did your surgeon give you anything to put on the wound or any antibiotics, just asking because my surgeon said they weren't needed. I had a low fistula, which was supposedly any easy surgery to take care of.
tornup

Postby FirstDuke » 10 Oct 2011, 10:52

Ya, the doctor give me antibiotic and something apply on the wound. Now u mention, I think my doctor ask me to wait two week as well as the next appointment is around thr. I think we should b more patience and wait for two week. Hope things get better. Good Luck for all of us
FirstDuke
Fibre Addict

Postby val » 10 Oct 2011, 14:14

When they do a fistulotomy, they "deroof" it, and turn it into a trench. It does tend to drain pus for a little while, but it shouldn't smell, and should feel like a "clean" sort of pain, rather than the irritated sore pinching that you got before the op.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby tornup » 13 Oct 2011, 21:20

Hey firstduke you had the surgery the day before I did, just wondering how you are healing up and if you had any set backs. I have been having some good days and some bad days. Cant wait till this is all gone.
tornup

Postby FirstDuke » 13 Oct 2011, 21:49

Hi tornup, I'm still having discharge of pus and blood, for me so far so good. My really bad day was when I bm on Wednesday there is a lot feces stay inside the wound, and that area become swollen, just keep washing, it took me a whole day to clean it off because u can't clean it in 1 shot as they stay quite deep inside the wound. It's quite pain and scary that day, but after hearing it is common from the forumers here, only I a bit relieve.
As for the last 2 day I decide to constipated ^^ haha.
Well, good luck for both of us, me too want get rid of this thingy as soon as possible. But it takes at least two month to heal and 3 month for complete healed. This is my ideal healing process -.-
FirstDuke
Fibre Addict

Postby adam » 21 Oct 2011, 22:49

I am 3 months post fistula op.. I still get almost as much pus as i did the first week after the op. My surgeon said i'm doing well and i can take care of it on my own.
You cannot constipate yourself, that's one of the main reasons fistulas happen.. After everybowel movement you have to keep it clean, and very dry. My surgeon told me after cleaning to stick a cotton ball dipped in corn starch in the wound to keep it dry, and keep changing it during the day at least a few times.
If you want more info on my fistula experience i'm making a reply to my main thread right now which is a dialogue of my whole experience, so it will be near the top of this forum's page.
adam
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby katbhuve » 04 Mar 2012, 12:55

Hey FirstDuke, How are you doing? Hope you are back to your normal routine.
I had fistula surgery 4 days back and I see some pus on my dressing. Just wanted to check with you on how long the pus came for you and how much time it took for you to heal completely.
Thank you.
katbhuve
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby tornup » 04 Mar 2012, 18:58

Hey katbhuve I had a fistulatomy in early october it took me 3 months to stop getting pus. Also depending on your bowl some days can be better than others. Sometimes you will take two steps foward than have a bad bowel and take three steps back. From my own personal experience if you dont have one already invest in a detachable shower head so you can hose yourself off after a bowel. If anything gets left behind you risk a chance of reinfection. I found that if i would dab lightly to try and get the heavy stuff off than jump in the shower and give it a nice stream of water and than jump in a sits bath those always tended to be my best days. But be careful with the water in the sits bath it can lead to a bladder infection from what i have heard if it enters your body so just make sure to jump in the shower and rinse yourself off again after each sits bath
tornup

Postby gango2 » 30 Sep 2012, 15:29

oooh my god!! after i read this i find my self somehow confident, because even sometimes i used to call my doctor to ask why still discharge. but seems the there will be continuous discharge after sometimes before being recovery.
gango2

Topics: 1