SHOULD I HAVE FISTULA SURGERY AFTER PERI ANAL ABSCESS DRAIN

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

SHOULD I HAVE FISTULA SURGERY AFTER PERI ANAL ABSCESS DRAIN

Postby jpman » 11 Aug 2013, 06:14

Hi All,
I had a perianal abscess drained in hospital about 3 months ago. Subsequent discharge from wound until about a week ago. Now feel very good and am wondering if I should have fistula surgery or a seton applied.
Very reluctant to take on new surgery as I have read that complications are very likely after sugery but also heard that recurrences of serious fistula formation if left alone>>>>>>.!
Any advice from anybody out there would be appreciated.
jpman

Topics: 1

Re: SHOULD I HAVE FISTULA SURGERY AFTER PERI ANAL ABSCESS DRAIN

Postby richibeno » 11 Aug 2013, 06:36

Hey JP .if you have had it checked over by the surgeon who dine the operation .and he's happy and your happy there is no fistula formation .then your OK .as long as you continue to feel OK and are well .no discharge or pain throbing.etc.but these fistulas can accrue a very long time after a abcess has drained .so keep an eye on things .keep a good diet .plenty of water
All the best
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby jpman » 11 Aug 2013, 06:54

Thanks for prompt reply Richie. Surgeon wanted to do a open cut which I thought was not necessary. Second opinion fr CR suggested a seton. I was confused so considering a third opinion as I am good at the moment with no sign of recurrence. Should I get a third opinion?surgery is last option at the moment.
jpman

Topics: 1

Postby richibeno » 11 Aug 2013, 07:01

If a fistula has been identified. Its best yo get it felt with .it a small Chanel which runs from the abscess to a infected glan in side the anal canal.a Seton is used to keep the fistula open and drainage will come out .when surgeon is happy abcess and drainage is clear. You have an op to open the fistula Chanel .deroof it.it is left open to heal from the bottom up.
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28