Hemorrhoid after fistulotomy?

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Hemorrhoid after fistulotomy?

Postby Mparente » 11 Jun 2014, 21:35

Hi All!

I had a fistulotomy and huge anal skin tag removed Tuesday at 8am. Today, One day later, the gauze came off and I noticed there was what looks like a hemorrhoid where the skin tag was. What the heck? Did this happen to anyone else? Or did anyone have this and it was just swelling? I'm a little upset that I went through this pain to solve a problem just to develop another one hours later. Ugh
Mparente

Topics: 2

Re: Hemorrhoid after fistulotomy?

Postby tll » 12 Jun 2014, 06:14

Hi I had a lift procedure done in Feb, for a fistula (but it failed just had a advance flap 2 weeks ago) any way I had the same thing and it went away after about 7-10 days I thought I had the same thing give it a few days it should go away.
tll
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Ever the Optimist » 13 Jun 2014, 13:50

Hi Mparente,
I was left with the most amazing external hem after my surgery (same as you but just the fistulotomy)
I also ended up with a couple of internal hems.
The external one was sore and itchy and horrible but it finally went after a couple of weeks and touch wood, it's not reappeared since! As for the internals, that's another story!
Hopefully, this will calm down and leave you alone too :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Mparente » 18 Jun 2014, 10:45

Update:
My doctor did NOT remove the skin tag. According to him it's on muscle and that can't be removed at the same time as a fistulotomy. Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed because that's really what I wanted removed. I'm going Friday and will ask the doctor when I can remove it.

As for my recovery, it's going ok. I have what appears to be a huge hemorrhoid that wasn't there before. That or the skin tag is enflamed and swelling due to the surgery. The incision itself is actually healing nicely and my leaking is minimal now. The major problem is the seton. I can fell it poking me from the inside and it's very uncomfortable. I'm depressed and don't want to see anyone or do anything. It's annoying to say the least. And on top if that, I only have insurance until June 30th, so I'm worried as to when the seton will be removed and how. I'm reading varied experiences as to whether it was removed in office or another surgery. I'd love to hear more about how your seton was removed. Thanks everyone!
Mparente

Topics: 2

Postby Dewlilly » 20 Jun 2014, 21:10

Hi Mparente,, sorry to hear you are having struggles with your recovery .. my seton was removed in the doc office and i didnt feel a thing ... just a snip on the part thats outside and it slipped right out ... mine used to pinch my other butt cheek so i used to stuff gauze in between the cheeks to help ease it. I hope things settle for you soon :)
Dewlilly
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Manitourose » 23 Jun 2014, 18:43

Hi Mparente,
I didn't have the exact surgery you had. However, I have done way too much interneting. I did read somewhere from a CRS office page that many people feel like they have a hemorrhoid after surgery and its usually swelling and will settle down. I hope this is the case for you because it would be helpful for you to have some more comfort given all you are dealing with.

Its normal, but more importantly OK to feel depressed and want to avoid people. This is an emotionally trying process regardless. I hope you can feel at least comfortable coming onto the boards and venting. I know it has helped me.

Wish I could provide more info on the seton, I do not have one, but like you have read varying experiences.
Thinking of you and hoping you are a bit more comfortable today.
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?