Seek for help and advice after fistulotomy

Fistula

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Seek for help and advice after fistulotomy

Postby Seekforhelp » 10 May 2015, 08:05

I just had fistulotomy past 2 months ago! But until now the wound dint seem to be heal, and it's still discharge pus! And every time after BM it will bleed a little as well! I am seeking for advice and help on this? Am I having another fissure again or infection?

Because I read many article online stated that normally the wound will fully heal between 4-8 weeks. So I am a bit confusing and worried about my current situation. As currently I am on business trip working in other states and only manage to visit back my doctor one month later.

As for my current situation I insert gauze to prevent leakage of pus and blood ( I change every 4-5 hours daily)
Beside that I also apply fucidin(a kind of oitment oil) time after gauze is change.
Sitz bath morning and night 2 times daily.

I am seeking for advice and help on my current situation and how to heal the wound faster?
Seekforhelp

Topics: 1

Re: Seek for help and advice after fistulotomy

Postby Fissurefrustration » 10 May 2015, 08:41

it seems like you're doing all the right things and the fistulotomy wound can take a while to heal. Are you due a follow up with your surgeon post-op? if not it may be a good idea to request one from his/her medical secretary.

as for packing your own wound be careful - you might be doing more harm than good there. is it sterile gauze your using? Changing every 4-5 hours is very frequent and is potentially stopping the wound bed from healing. If your follow up isn't due for a while I'd get back to your GP for a tissue viability nurse to have a quick look at the wound to suggest frequency of dressing change and use of gauze - if the wound is quite deep I'd suggest something like aquacel ribbon that aims to heal the wound from the inside out and requires changing minimum once daily.

Hope I've helped. If your stuck on business I believe there are walk in centers that can give some advice. Watch out for a temperature and redness/swelling around the area this could be signs of infection.

FF x
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby Seekforhelp » 10 May 2015, 09:07

I will go back to my town next month so perhaps I will follow up with my surgeon! As for now I can't see a doctor here as I hardly can speak their languages n they can't understand English so a bit difficult for me to explain my situation.

Yes I am using sterile gauze reason i change so frequent is because the weather is hot n I keep on sweating and I feel its better to keep it dry rather then moisture? Fistulotomy wound can roughly take up to how long to heal? Could it possible take up to 3 months or more? I am now just worried about the discharge yellowish pus n after BM bleeding!

Appreciate for the advice.
Seekforhelp

Postby 8yearfistula » 22 Jan 2016, 00:23

I am @ 12 week now
- very slight drainage
- still can't sit on hard surface for extended periods
- sometime get a dull ache in area if I over due it
- just returned to work
-outside is closed and healed ..still spray off bum and sitz bath 3x a day min
- last 2 weeks have been BIG improvements ..no pain driving or .moving aroind
- feel better than I have in 2 yrs
- slight discomfort after bm still but nothing crazy
8yearfistula

Postby Dimitri71 » 10 Nov 2017, 07:03

How are you 8year fistula? I am at two weeks post and drainage is decreasing, however I still get it.
Did it stop for you? What color/consistency did it have?
Dimitri71
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?