34 months...LIS, that's all folks

My LIS journey and diary...

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: 34 months...LIS, that's all folks

Postby Canadabum » 24 Sep 2017, 16:28

Oct 11...just over 1 month from the surgery date. Looking forward to hearing what he has to say.
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby msimon » 10 Oct 2017, 15:00

Good luck tomorrow! Hope you get some great news.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Kodette » 10 Oct 2017, 23:41

All the best w/visit, CB! Hoping it is absolutely uneventful (:

I am now exactly 3 weeks post LIS and tag removal. I wasn't healing quite as expected and at the 2-week post-op, and was told I had an infection. It was actually a relief knowing I wasn't crazy in thinking I should not have so much discomfort and swelling at 14 days post-op. The miracle of antibiotics have made me feel almost back to my regular self as of today (: My next post-op is next week.
Kodette
Fibre Addict

Postby Canadabum » 11 Oct 2017, 05:56

As all things in life seem to go...my follow up was postponed to the 18th! One more week....

I have been doing well and am now 32/33 days out from the surgery. I am taking 2 teaspoons a day of miralax (just under half a dose), I take some Metamucil (about a teaspoon) and some magnesium. I feel 90%+ healed. Still a tiny soreness or awareness of something down there. One of my big questions is whether my papilla is 100% gone or not. I’m still reluctant to give up my daily miralax even though I’ve had the surgery- mostly nerves I think. I don’t want to have a hard one just yet and cause any tears...some of my fear is definitely still there as I approach 3 years of dealing with this.

Msimon- thanks so much for checking in...would love to hear about you too.

Kodette - sorry you hit a bump in your recovery - but so glad antibiotics cleared it up. Are you still on stool softeners?

I have been meaning to update for a while now but life has been so hectic — thanks for getting me back here!

I’ll keep you posted for sure (I plan on getting down to 1.5 or 1 teaspoon of miralax within the week).

All best - CB
Canadabum

Postby Kodette » 11 Oct 2017, 08:28

Sorry they postponed your appointment! I know you want the green light that all is ok, and now have to wait /-: Yes,I am still on quite a lot of Miralax. Full cap in PM and 1T in AM. Plus, one capsule Colace softener and 2/3C bran buds. I have taken about a capful of Miralax every day for maybe 10 years b/c I have slow digestion (IBS) so had to add in more when fissure was re-torn back in August.

I am always grateful for your descriptions of your recovery. I frankly have learned more detail about related issues here than I got explained to me by my CRS. I was never told I even had a tag until I asked post-op and was told, "Oh yes, we excised that during surgery". It's like they don't want to "bother me" with too many details - grrrrrr. You mention a "papilla" and I think I may have that too, upon self inspection. I had not heard that term before.

You say you still sense something "down there" . Did or do you continue to have any sense of a very firm, marble-like mass in the area? While I have no more pain from the infection,(I am still finishing 10-day course of Levaquin and Flagyl antibiotics) I do still feel this. Just wondering if this is "normal" or my own deal. I am nervous about an abscess being there and will have to see next Tuesday after next visit.

I know you are super busy so no rush to reply.
Kodette
Fibre Addict

Postby Canadabum » 12 Oct 2017, 16:48

My sense of "something down there" is not a marble like mass -- for me it appears and remains after I go to the loo -- it feels like it is just inside my anus so I can't feel it with my fingers. I also feel a very slight pressure type pain when i sit in certain ways on the incision site (i think) -- that said, my pain level is basically a 0.

As for what you are feeling -- it could be the end of the infection, the scar tissue...perhaps other issues that your crs will be able to determine. I think that all of our reactions and responses are normal really -- sometimes we are compromised and sometimes not, sometimes the body heals without effort and sometimes it takes a lot of effort...all normal and all natural -- we all hope for the quick and easy route for sure though -- but that does not mean that the tough and longer route isnt normal. If it is an abcess it will be a disappointment...but nothing to despair about -- they deal with those things all the time.

I am now down to 1.5 teaspoons of miralax a day and have increased my metamucil to 1.5 teaspoons a day. I have found the metamucil helpful in making sure i have a regular movement and that it is bulky and soft (sorry if tmi).

So 34 days out -- feeling pretty good...my real test will be once i am not on miralax...i should be there in a week or two and will let you know how it goes.

All best - CB
Canadabum

Postby Kodette » 12 Oct 2017, 16:55

We are definitely all individuals and noone will have the very same experience as another, for sure!
Thanks for the perspective.
Wondering if your sensation may be a hemorrhoid issue? Just a thought. I'm sure your CRS will give you
some clarity on that.
Keep up the good progress!

K
Kodette
Fibre Addict

Postby Canadabum » 24 Oct 2017, 16:10

Hey All -- so I had my CRS appointment last Thursday....I got the royal finger and other stuff up the bum treatment and was told -- I am all good. Even as I type this I sort of don't believe it...can it really be so...almost three years of this has made me a sceptic! I do have some "awareness" down there...my CRS basically said -- its like breaking an arm...it will heal but may feel a bit different. My fissure is gone, incision is healed and my papilla is banished forever (hopefully!!).

I really think that my papilla was my main issue for the past year or so -- getting in the way and getting irritated.

I am still taking Miralax...but only half a teaspoon daily. I will cut it out entirely next week and hope for the best. It feels like throwing crutches away -- and am a bit reluctant. I am taking a small amount of metamucil each day and also a magnesium supplement that I will continue forever.

I can say I feel great and am truly blown away that I have recovered and can basically move on from this issue. That said -- I am 1,0000% cognizant that this can come back and will do my best to remain aware of my eating, stress etc going forward.

I find myself wondering why I did not do the surgery years earlier....

So to all my friends -- thank you soooo much for your support over the years - kind words, encouragement and just an ear to listen. While i am passed this now...I do know that the future is always unknown...so I may be back (but hopefully only to provide advice!).

If I can be of any help to anyone - just reach out and I am happy to share my experience and insights.

All best - Canadabum
Canadabum

Postby patience_and_healing » 24 Oct 2017, 18:02

What wonderful news CB :fireworks:
Wishing you a permanent recovery and that you never need to use this board for anything other than offering advice. :)
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby chachacha » 24 Oct 2017, 18:07

REALLY happy to hear that you are finally in the clear!

Congrats!

:actiongirl:
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha